SQHS YLL discussion

Conversion - Katherine Howe

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 16 comments Conversion – Katherine Howe
Reviewed by Sophia Sloan
Conversion is a standalone book by Katherine Howe, which goes between telling the story of Colleen, a teenage girl who is a senior in high school in the 2000s, to Ann Putnam, a girl who led an important role during the Salem Witch Trials in the early 1600s. Colleen wants to go to Harvard, and struggles throughout the course of the book to become valedictorian while under the struggles of having to juggle the problems of being a teenager, relationships, and grades. Along with that, she now knows that there is now a sickness that is being spread throughout her school, where girls go from having their hair falling out, to others vomiting up pins. As the days go by, the popularity in the story of the mystery illness grows and so does the victim count.
In the beginning and up until the end of Conversion, I really enjoyed the characters in the story, even if I disliked the main character, Colleen. Howe beautifully retells the story of the Salem Witch Trials with great accuracy, from the outrageous methods used to rid the girls of what they initially believed to be a curse with the outrageous method of using a urine cake, to the characters in the story of the Salem Witch Trials itself. The story itself of Colleen and her friends however, ended in a very anticlimactic fashion that I was left disappointed with. Colleen was a very unlikable and entitled character, due to when she failed a test she didn’t study for, and complained her teacher because of her poor grade on the test.

message 2: by AnaRose (new)

AnaRose Haley | 9 comments I wonder what the Salem Witch Trials have to do with a teenage girl in the 2000s. I would definitely like to check this out

message 3: by Moe (new)

Moe | 10 comments It would be interesting to read about how the two stories intertwine with each other, since they seem so vastly different and far apart. The illness makes this sound almost like a horror book and if it is that's definitely something I need to read. I can understand the dislike of the main character through your review and I hope it won't take away from the story itself.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 12 comments I am very interested in this book. I think that somehow Collen might be related to Ann Putnam since the book is talking about both of them. I guess I'll have to read the book to find out.

message 5: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 16 comments Moe wrote: "It would be interesting to read about how the two stories intertwine with each other, since they seem so vastly different and far apart. The illness makes this sound almost like a horror book and i..."

There are a lot of different characters in the story, and even if I might not like the main character Colleen, I did enjoy other characters in the story. It is labelled as a horror book, but for the most part it isn't super scary, and is mostly subtle throughout the book.

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 16 comments Anarose wrote: "I wonder what the Salem Witch Trials have to do with a teenage girl in the 2000s. I would definitely like to check this out"

The author of the story is directly related to three women who were accused of being witches during the Salem Witch Trials, which I believe lead her into being so interested in the topic, and might have encouraged her to try making a correlation between what happened over four hundred years ago to people in modern day America.

message 7: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 16 comments Jennifer wrote: "I am very interested in this book. I think that somehow Collen might be related to Ann Putnam since the book is talking about both of them. I guess I'll have to read the book to find out."

I would definitely recommend reading through this book. It's rather short at 233 pages, and it's difficult to put down, which lead me to blow through this one very quickly in about two or three days.