Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Ships of Merior (Wars of Light & Shadow, #2; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #1)
This topic is about The Ships of Merior
Wurts - Wars of L&S & More > The Ships of Merior [Apr 15, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Please join

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Love this book. How do I join?

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Spot!

message 4: by Tnkw01 (new) - added it

Tnkw01 | 18 comments Ok, my first post on the FBR group. Just posting that I'm in on this read.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Tnkw01 wrote: "Ok, my first post on the FBR group. Just posting that I'm in on this read."

Yay!!! Welcome to the madness:)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments Yeay!!! New people on our BR! Welcome everyone! 🤗

Olivia (vinjii) | 1038 comments Starting this today. Trying to do 1-2 sets a day.

message 8: by Chris (last edited Apr 15, 2018 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1579 comments Janny has provided me with a link to a great story timeline summary of the first book, The Curse of the Mistwraith, in case anyone needs brushing up before beginning book 2: http://www.paravia.com/JannyWurts/web...

Of course, it has many spoilers for that book if you haven't read it yet :)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1038 comments I was just complaining to my other half that fantasy series should have a summary of the previous books somewhere !!

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments I’m in. One to two chapter sets a day sounds like a reasonable rate.

message 11: by Tnkw01 (new) - added it

Tnkw01 | 18 comments Started this evening.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments Starting today also. :)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Same here. I like that pace too... 😀

Olivia (vinjii) | 1038 comments I don’t have much to say about the first two chapter sets. The first took me a while to get into and wrap my head around prose and characters. The second flowed nicely and I’m enjoying the antics of the mad prophet.

message 15: by Tnkw01 (new) - added it

Tnkw01 | 18 comments Olivia wrote: "I don’t have much to say about the first two chapter sets. The first took me a while to get into and wrap my head around prose and characters. The second flowed nicely and I’m enjoying the antics o..."

Yea, the mad prophet is, to say the least, interesting. He adds humor relief at times but just drinks too much. Reminds me of my frat days many years ago when I was in college. He could have been one of my brothers.

message 16: by Sandra (last edited Apr 16, 2018 09:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments I thought I posted here yesterday but it’s disappeared! I plan to follow the 2 chapter sets a day as well. Seems like a reasonable pace

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Olivia wrote: "I don’t have much to say about the first two chapter sets. The first took me a while to get into and wrap my head around prose and characters. The second flowed nicely and I’m enjoying the antics o..."

I remember struggling with this as well, trying to orient myself after the intensity of Curse.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments I read those pages describing the entrance into Jaelot while laughing.

Faery-toes is a treasure (I tried imagining him dropping belly-down in a splay legged heap to a whistling grunt of astonishment and burst out laughing 😁).
Dakar's reaction to all that mess was hilarious. And the reaction of the bystanders nothing less
'I doubt if that bundle of incompetence is able to move four feet in consecutive order.'
'Well, that says it all in a nutshell.'

Dakar seems to be a genuine walking disaster! But I love him anyway! :D

message 19: by Olivia (last edited Apr 18, 2018 01:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Olivia (vinjii) | 1038 comments Chapter Set 3. In my Kindle version on page 79, 12% there’s a paragraph starting with “the last time Lysaer crossed the Thaldeins by way of the Orlan Pass....”

Halfway into the paragraph my copy says “With the visible sky 4 ribbon of blue”

What was that originally?? Before someone snuck a 4 in??

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Olivia wrote: "Chapter Set 3. In my Kindle version on page 79, 12% there’s a paragraph starting with “the last time Lysaer crossed the Thaldeins by way of the Orlan Pass....”

Halfway into the paragraph my copy s..."

(view spoiler)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1038 comments Ah cool! The 4 used to be an “a” - thank you. I was worried that maybe more had been lost! Thank you!

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Olivia wrote: "Ah cool! The 4 used to be an “a” - thank you. I was worried that maybe more had been lost! Thank you!"

Always, no problem:):):)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1038 comments Chapter Set 3. I’ve not yet got lots to say. But I really struggle liking Lysaer these days.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Ooo, I don't like him at all! Something has to happen for him to wake up and realize he is turning into a bad guy...

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments You have to hand it to the guy though - he is brilliant on plotting and making others do his bidding.
In chapter 3 the way he (view spoiler)

message 26: by Laura (last edited Apr 18, 2018 03:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments After the chapter set 4 and the meeting of the mages (view spoiler)

message 27: by Tnkw01 (last edited Apr 18, 2018 04:40AM) (new) - added it

Tnkw01 | 18 comments I'm a little further along than some here, 50% through. The brothers are more similar then one would think IMO. Lysaer does have some good qualities (view spoiler), and Arithon is also manipulative. (view spoiler) I have to say not sure what to think about the brothers and Dakar. Dakar, to me, seems to becoming more and more of a buffoon.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1038 comments Finished Chapter Set 4. It all sounds quite hopeless. And I have no idea yet where it’s going.
Agreed Laura on both Lysaer and Faery-toes!

message 29: by Laura (last edited Apr 18, 2018 09:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments @Tnkw01 - could you please include the chapter set no. in your post so we know when we can open your spoilers as we are behind. :)

Just finished Chapter set 5 and I have to say it:

I got so very angry at first when (view spoiler)

And then I cried when (view spoiler)

And then (view spoiler)

I hate the way the (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Laura wrote: "You have to hand it to the guy though - he is brilliant on plotting and making others do his bidding.
In chapter 3 the way he made sure he'll get the support of the mayors by having the clans take ..."

Exactly! It is not a healthy, regular outlook on things... That curse is really doing a number on him...

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Ya’ll are way ahead of me! I’ll get cracking today! I came to hate both Lysander and Dakar in this book.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Sandra wrote: "Ya’ll are way ahead of me! I’ll get cracking today! I came to hate both Lysander and Dakar in this book."

I am sure they both deserve it:)

message 33: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John | 1 comments Tnkw01 wrote: "...Arithon is also manipulative. (view spoiler)

I didn't read it that way at all. (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments Did any of you get the difference between mage sight and mage power? Are they both the same? Because I'm a bit confused.
It's said at times that Arithon lost his powers and at others that he blinded his mage sight.
I thought the mage sight was what allowed him to sense magic and people and other living things or power objects, etc; and his mage powers are what makes him able to manipulate shadows. Did I get it wrong?

Here Arithon still seems to be able to do magic but in several places it is mentioned he has lost his powers.
Can anyone help me get it straight please?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments Sandra wrote: "Ya’ll are way ahead of me! I’ll get cracking today! I came to hate both Lysander and Dakar in this book."

I wonder if I'll come to do that too.

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Darned autocorrect! Lysaer is not Lysander!

message 37: by Sandra (last edited Apr 18, 2018 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "Did any of you get the difference between mage sight and mage power? Are they both the same? Because I'm a bit confused.
It's said at times that Arithon lost his powers and at others that he blind..."

He found mage power through the sound energies of his music but did not recover his mage sight. Two different powers. His music is so powerful that it charges the energies that are the basis of magic in this world. This rings true to me as the power of music releases so many things in our real world.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments @Sandra - Thank you. That makes sense.
In chapter 5 when Arithon (view spoiler)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments He was using his shadow mastery to create his disguise. That is a separate thing. Independent from mage powers. Like lysaer has the power of light and no mage power.

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Ya’ll are way ahead of me! I’ll get cracking today! I came to hate both Lysander and Dakar in this book."

I wonder if I'll come to do that too."

Well, I misspoke a little. I didn’t hate lysaeras much as Dakar. Pity is mixed with extreme dislike.

message 41: by Tnkw01 (new) - added it

Tnkw01 | 18 comments Laura wrote: "@Tnkw01 - could you please include the chapter set no. in your post so we know when we can open your spoilers as we are behind. :)

Just finished Chapter set 5 and I have to say it:

I got so very ..."

Both were in chapter 7.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments @Sandra - Arithon was turning (view spoiler)

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "@Sandra - Arithon was turning [spoilers removed]"
I know but he creates all kinds of things with shadow - soldiers, play ships and people with the children. Changes his eye and hair color, covers his scar. I can see colored shadows covering darker colors. Maybe it was a glamor but I don’t think so because Dakar would see right through that.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6194 comments Thank you Sandra. :) I hadn't thought about it this way. Now it makes sense.

message 45: by Sandra (last edited Apr 19, 2018 12:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you Sandra. :) I hadn't thought about it this way. Now it makes sense."

There’s reference in chapter six to all of it.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1038 comments Chapter Set 5 Oh, wow, that was very intense. I loved the entire scene with Arithon. I'm very intrigued still. Loving the prose. And still not liking Lysaer. That part with (view spoiler)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1038 comments Chapter Set 6 done as well. Things are starting to happen ha! Can't wait to see what happens in 7 and 8 when I sit down tomorrow.

Sandra  (sleo) | 179 comments Olivia wrote: "Chapter Set 6 done as well. Things are starting to happen ha! Can't wait to see what happens in 7 and 8 when I sit down tomorrow."

Yes, I’m starting 7.

message 49: by Tnkw01 (new) - added it

Tnkw01 | 18 comments John wrote: "Tnkw01 wrote: "...Arithon is also manipulative. [spoilers removed]

I didn't read it that way at all. [spoilers removed]"

So, I admit I was wrong. I now officially do not like Lysaer AT ALL. I'm starting to like Arithon even more. I'll add more later because I'm a farther along and don't want to tempt anyone.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1038 comments I’ve just read 7 and despite all the questionable things Arithon does I just really like him!

« previous 1 3