City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones question

Recommendations?
Bookie Sam Bookie Jul 25, 2014 04:12AM
I really love this book series. The character are memorable, the events keep you guessing and the writing is superb!

I'm really looking for another Young Adult series that can keep me as entertained as this, so if anyone can recommend me a SERIES that is equally fantastic (or as close to it as possible) then I would be forever grateful.

I like these genres: Romance, Fiction, Contemporary, YA!!!, Humour

Books I've already read:

The Immortal Series ~ Allyson Noel
Vampire Academy/Bloodlines ~ Richelle Mead
Poison Princess ~ Kresley Cole
Poison Study ~ Maria V Snyder
The Morganville Vampires ~ Rachel Caine
The Lux Series/Covenant Series~Jennifer L Armentrout
Daughter of Smoke & Bones ~ Laini Taylor
Altered ~ Jennifer Rush
The Mortal Instruments ~ Cassandra Claire
Crush Series ~ Lacey Weatherford
The Fault In Our Stars ~ John Green
Gallagher Girls ~ Ally Carter

Please Do Not Recommend:
Twilight
House of Night
Darkest Powers
Any Simone Elke Books or Meg Cabot

And also, if there are any triangle relationships in the book, please try to not recommend as I hate that kind of thing (but if it's a must, I would appreciate if the writer made it absolutely clear who is the perfect choice)

Thanks to anyone who responds and helps a fellow reader.

The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare! One of my favorite trilogies :)

Abigail (last edited Aug 08, 2014 01:29PM ) Aug 03, 2014 02:20PM   0 votes
Some of these have already been mentioned but I'll reiterate how good they are:

YA Fantasy/SciFi:

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare
Infernal Devices - Cassandra Clare

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater
Raven Cycle - Maggie Steivfater

Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater Sinner (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3.5) by Maggie Stiefvater
Wolves of Mercy Falls Series - Maggie Steivfater

Basically anything ever written by Maggie Stiefvater

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3) by Michelle Hodkin
Mara Dyer Trilogy - Michelle Hodkin

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer
Lunar Chronicles - Marissa Myer

Uglies (Uglies, #1) by Scott Westerfeld Pretties (Uglies, #2) by Scott Westerfeld Specials (Uglies, #3) by Scott Westerfeld Extras (Uglies, #4) by Scott Westerfeld
Uglies Series - Scott Westerfeld

YA Fantasy/SciFi that has minor "love triangles" (Nothing near as angsty as Twilight)

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins
Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins - Peeta

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2) by Tahereh Mafi Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3) by Tahereh Mafi Unite Me (Shatter Me, #1.5, #2.5) by Tahereh Mafi
Shatter Me Triology - Taherah Mafi - Warner

I know you're looking more for series BUT....Stand Alone and Contemporary YA:

The Clearing by Heather Davis
The Clearing - Heather Davis

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher

Since you list humor as one of your likes I was hesitant to add this one, but you listed Fault In Our Stars, which is a sad book, and I really do feel that everyone should read this book.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver

Stolen A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher
Stolen - Lucy Christopher

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight - Jennifer Smith

For straight humor and WTHness try:

Going Bovine by Libba Bray
Going Bovine - Libba Bray

I've also heard good things about the Legend Series by Marie Lu which has been mentioned by several other people although I can't say I've read them myself yet. Someone mentioned the Percy Jackson series by Rick Roirdan, while I do love this series, as they said,it's more juvenile fiction than YA fiction (Even when the main characters make it to 17 they act more like they are 12-13, the writing is also juvenile, choosing bodily function humor, which is more typical for tween books rather than teen).

Queralt✨ (last edited Jul 25, 2014 04:25AM ) Jul 25, 2014 04:21AM   0 votes
I recommend you the following sagas:

-Legend, by Marie Lu (I didn't felt like reading the book because I didn't like the cover, but it was worth it! I'm going to start the last book this week!)
-Prophecy of the Sisters, by Michelle Zink. My friend loves Altered and Daughter of Smoke & Bones, and she told me she also enjoyed this one!
-Clockwork Angel, by Cassandra Clare.
-The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.

Definitely The Raven Cycle.
The Line (Witching Savannah) J.D. Horn
If you liked The Fault in Our Stars: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. Sarah Dessen also has some great books.

The Elemental Series by Brigid Kemmerer
Storm

You should definitely read The Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare if you enjoyed The Mortal Instruments.
The Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth I'm sure you'll love.
Bloodlines by Richelle Mead, sequel to Vampire Academy is amazing.

YOU HAVE TO READ " THE VIOLET EDEN CHAPTERS"

Kim (last edited Aug 03, 2014 10:42AM ) Aug 03, 2014 10:42AM   0 votes
I would recommend the Raven Boys and The Scorpio Races(both the same author)I haven't actually read the series Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick, but i've heard they're really good! Hmmmmmm......
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi haven't read them probably wont(NOT because i dont like them but a friend gave me spoilers)tooo bad :(
Annnnddd the last one is...... Divergent by Veronica Roth!!! (i dont really like it, but i haven't read the other 2 so i'll see)

Age of X series by Richelle Mead!

Megan (last edited Jul 31, 2014 08:27PM ) Jul 31, 2014 08:18PM   0 votes
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee My Wolf's Bane (Shapes of Autumn, #1) by Veronica Blade White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Firespell (Dark Elite, #1) by Chloe Neill

Hope you find what you're looking for! Happy reading :)

try
seven reals by cinda chima
percy jackson series
lorien series by pittacus lore
gemma doyle by libba bray
harry potter
divergent
under never sky
some of my favourites!!!!!

Thanks SO much to everyone who responded. I have checked out all books mentioned, and found really great reads!

I appreciate you all, and if there are any more suggestions, please feel free to tell me. I'm still in search of another great series, even whilst juggling a couple of your suggestions.

Thanks.

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson- a really fun and satisfying contemporary about a road trip

Christine (last edited Jul 30, 2014 10:29PM ) Jul 30, 2014 10:27PM   0 votes
Hmmm I say Legend by Marie Lu is definitely a good choice.
For Contemps: Anything Rainbow Rowell
Percy Jackson and the Olympians is awesome (not YA, but still great)
Harry Potter... (duh)
The Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima is a good one

PARANORMALCY BY KIERSTEN WHITE! This is one of my favorite trilogies EVER, I ADORED reading it! It deals with the same creatures that there are in TMI (faeries, vampires, etc.) and the characters are snarky and sweet and THERE IS NO LOVE TRIANGLE AND THE LOVE INTEREST (though shape-shifting) IS SWOON-WORTHY. It's not popular, but whenever someone asks me for a book recommendation, I ALWAYS direct them to this trilogy. I HIGHLY recommend it!

Heist Society -- Ally Carter (I like this book)

deleted member Aug 16, 2014 04:03PM   0 votes
The Selection
but there's a triangle relationship, but it makes it amazing in my opinion!

The Tiger Saga by Colleen Houck (my favorite!)
The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

If I Stay - Gayle Forman
Torn Away - Jennifer Brown (I really love this one)
The Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins
The Way We Fall - Megan Crewe
Replica - Jenna Black
The Percy Jackson Series - Rick Riordan
The Heroes of Olympus - Rick Riordan
Harry Potter - JK Rowling
Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver

I would recommend Shatter Me series or The Black Mage (The Black Mage: First Year is 1st book in series) if you like hot/arrogant characters like Jace. Both are action-packed YA with a steamy romance:)

I'm sure you've already read Hunger Games and Harry Potter (if you haven't, go buy them NOW lol, they are amazing).

Another good YA romance is Drowned by Nichola Reilly, like The Black Mage it's the first in a series with the other books not out yet. I loved the Blood Red Road series by Moira Young, it's future dystopia with romance but written in a very different style you may or may not like. Also ANYTHING by Tamora Pierce -her Song of the Lioness, Immortals, Protector of the Small series are crazy good.

For contemporary I love Meg Cabot but you said not to mention her, another good one is the Dark Secrets series by Elizabeth Chandler:)

AgCl (last edited Jul 25, 2014 04:29AM ) Jul 25, 2014 04:20AM   0 votes
Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu

The Legend Series by Marie Lu

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

Sinner (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3.5) by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Cycle & Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater

Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix

Sabriel by Garth Nix

i'm going old school to my faves from 6th-8th grade (obviously you can read these books at whatever age):

The Dark is Rising Sequence
the dark is rising sequence by susan cooper

The Golden Compass
his dark materials series by phillip pullman

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe series by c.s. lewis

i don't know if these fit the bill exactly, but they are great fantasy books for YA. i remember trying to learn welsh because of the dark is rising series heh.

not sure if anyone else has mentioned it :) but i'm really enjoying "the girl in the box series" by Robert J Crane. there is 10 books altogether. i'm currently on book 8.