The Sword and Laser discussion

Help us with a promo!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (last edited Mar 29, 2018 12:26PM) (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1666 comments Mod
Hello!

We're playing a great promo for another show on this week's episode, and they want one in turn. Our awesome editor Jim is going to whip it up, but I'd love some clip ideas from you, the listeners!

Do you remember any favorite moments (and which episode they're from?). Author interviews especially. I know this is kind of a big ask, since it requires remembering, like... stuff. I will forever be in your debt.

OK, how about I sweeten the deal -- if we use your clip, I'll send you a present. If you want it!

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8198 comments If I was doing it, I’d have a bunch of author introductions with them saying hi, basically one after another.

Then I’d use a bunch of clips of Veronica trying to pronounce names — Episode 223 has a couple. “Agniezska?” “Kasha?” — tagging it with a perfect one. (You must have exclaimed “Nailed it!” at some point.)

Plus a quick hit of “Smooth Roberator”.

Then a collage of book reactions, such as:

Veronica: He unleashes evil into the world! (Ep. 174)
Tom: He’s a tragic character. (Ep. 287)
Veronica: All you needed was love this whole time! (Ep. 318)
Tom: I don’t think the library is good or bad. (Ep. 290)
Veronica: Reading fiction helps your brain flex those empathy muscles. (Ep. 230)
Tom: You only have to read one book! (Ep. 316)
Veronica: I don’t want to poison anyone’s mind with my opinion. (Ep. 317)
Tom: A hot dog is totally a sandwich. (Ep. 272)

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 13 comments I'd insert one 'What are we drinking' in there too

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6719 comments Mod
I'd love to help, but my memory is awful :(

Personally I think if you're going to include a reference to me in the podcast, I vote for the clip of Veronica somehow mispronouncing my name and giving birth to my nickname/title. I'm not sure if mispronouncing is the right word. She kind of just said Moderator Rob a little too fast maybe and then just ran with it until she came out with Roberator.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what podcast that was.

Then again as embarrassing as I find that song, it was very well done (good parody lyrics, and well sung). At least until Dave felt the need to steal my profile pictures to make a "music video". Ugh.

message 5: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3497 comments Mod
Rob wrote: "At least until Dave felt the need to steal "borrow" my profile pictures to make a "music video". Ugh. "

You mean this one? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNwq9...

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2839 comments Trike wrote: "If I was doing it, I’d have a bunch of author introductions with them saying hi, basically one after another.

Then I’d use a bunch of clips of Veronica trying to pronounce names — Episode 223 has ..."

How in the world do you remember these things?!?

message 7: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6719 comments Mod
Tassie Dave wrote: "Rob wrote: "At least until Dave felt the need to steal "borrow" my profile pictures to make a "music video". Ugh. "

You mean this one? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNwq9..."

So much hate..

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3871 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "How in the world do you remember these things?!? "

Yeah, I wanted to do a slow clap after that post. Dayum, Trike.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8198 comments I can’t math, which frees up memory. :p

Also, I grew up poor in the 70s before VCRs or cable TV, so I could only see a movie once, and back then if you missed an episode of a TV series, it was gone forever, so if you missed it, you missed it, so I inadvertently trained myself to memorize entertainment.

message 10: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I have a poor memory for auditory things so I can't think of specific instances. Boo, stupid memory!

message 11: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8198 comments Dara wrote: "I have a poor memory for auditory things so I can't think of specific instances. Boo, stupid memory!"

In your defense, you do have to remember which way to pronounce your name.

To wit: https://youtu.be/nqwx2XFb1fQ

message 12: by Erik (new)

Erik Redin (erik_redin) | 149 comments Don't know it you're still looking for clips for this, but the Sam Sykes interview in Episode 155, has some good moments.

Around the 12 minute mark, you're talking about Warcraft and Sam asks "are we going to throw down?" That seems pretty clippable.

And then there's the whole bit where Sam's talking about not comparing yourself to other authors (around the 8 minute mark) and you learn his mom is Diana Gabaldon and lose your mind for a moment or two.

message 13: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments Erik wrote: "And then there's the whole bit where Sam's talking about not comparing yourself to other authors (around the 8 minute mark) and you learn his mom is Diana Gabaldon and lose your mind for a moment or two."

Holy shit, I'm losing my own mind, holy shit, that's his mom?!

message 14: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 828 comments Yup. That's his mom.