Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Ray Bradbury on his life and work : "I take joy in what I do"

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (last edited Mar 29, 2018 11:44AM) (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 220 comments I picked this up at a Little Free Library. I have no idea what the rules are, here, since this is unusual and small, though I note that many short stories are listed here. There is, unfortunately, no ISBN associated with this publication.

The title is "Ray Bradbury on his life and work : "I take joy in what I do""

Pages: 11

Copyright 2001, Ray Bradbury

Steve Martin gave the introduction of Mr. Bradbury, who then gives a speech, which is the text of the booklet.

Here's is the WorldCat entry for this booklet.

Here's the preface:

"On Wednesday evening, November 15, 2000, at the National Book Awards Ceremony in New York City, the board of Directors of the National Book Foundation conferred its Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters upon Ray Bradbury.

Mr. Bradbury's lifework has proclaimed the incalculable value of reading; the perils of censorship; and the vital importance of building a better, more beautiful future for ourselves and our children through self-knowledge, education, and creative life-affirming attentiveness and risk-taking.

These values are the bedrock of the National Book Foundation. Our mission is to promote the reading and appreciation of great American literature among diverse audiences across the country."

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
That does not seem to meet our standards for being a published book.

message 3: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 220 comments How do short stories meet that requirement?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Only when they are individually and separately published. Which is uncommon.

Many were added incorrectly, and are merged into the anthologies they are from (when that is possible) or deleted completely when they are found by librarians. There are several existing threads about such, or feel free to start a new one if there are shorts you believe were incorrectly added.

message 5: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 220 comments I'll keep that in mind, about bringing up short stories that clutter author's pages.

Could you direct me to the Librarian standards which were used? The only stuff I could find, under this group, is stuff about it needing to be complete and independently published, which it is.

I'm still not clear as to what does and does not qualify.

Thank you, for your help.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The booklet appears to have been distributed at an event, not published.

message 7: by James (new)

James Joyce (james_patrick_joyce) | 220 comments I'm not being contrary, just pointing out that this is likely not the case.

Since it contains Steve Martin's entire introduction and Ray Bradbury's entire speech, it couldn't have been provided at the event, it must have been published later. From anything written on it, it may have been published by Bradbury, himself, since his copyright is the only data.