Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Please combine multiple listings

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy  | 2 comments I am presently reading the original 1913 edition of Isobel: A Romance of the Northern Trail online - linked here at The Internet Archive.

I would like to add this edition to the Goodreads database since it is not included at present. This process is confusing! All of the following listings currently exist.

Isobel
Isobel (Large Print Edition): a Romance of the Northern Trail
Isobel
Isobel
Isobel: a Romance of the Northern Trail
Isobel
Isobel: A Romance of the Northern Trail
Isobel

Following the links for "All Editions" from these listings, I have discovered 18 different narrative descriptions for this single novel.

They include:
-- a couple of different quotations from the text of the book
-- several different versions of biographical information about the author
-- several different plot summaries
-- details about the publisher and/or the historical importance of the work
-- and even a plot summary which incorrectly represents the novel as a "Western"

I hesitate to add the entry for the 1913 original edition that I am reading until after these various entries are combined and standardized.

Many thanks for your help.

message 2: by Renske (new)

Renske | 10805 comments Those editions are already correctly combined. Each book can have their own description, but some editions can have a better description than they have now. Could you provide a good description?
It looks you tried to add your edition https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... if you provide the data we can updated this edition.

message 3: by Sandy (last edited Mar 30, 2018 11:02AM) (new)

Sandy  | 2 comments Renske wrote: "It looks you tried to add your edition https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... if you provide the data we can updated this edition."

Yes, I was in the process of adding it. I had not pushed the "Create" button so I didn't think that it would load to the database.

I had included the publication date as 1913 (not "first published in 1913") since the copy I am reading was published in 1913. I had not yet filled in the page-count, which is 280 pages.

I also had intended to the add the cover image from The Internet Archive -- description

I decided to cancel the upload when I noticed that the narrative description was actually an author biography. I would have preferred to use a plot summary, but I didn't think I would be authorized to change the information in that box so I tried to abort the process and asked for GR Librarian assistance instead.

It seems to me that the following plot summary, which presently appears on at least one of the GR listings, could be used in place of the author biography.

Written in 1913 by James Oliver Curwood, Isobel tells the story of a Canadian mountie who meets a woman, loses track of her, then tries to find her again. There's a lot more to it than that. True to Curwood's style, there are many action scenes and romantic moments--plus an orphaned girl, dogsledding, a gun fight and survival through cold winters. Like Jack London, Curwood has a way of making readers feel they are actually out there in the blizzard along with his characters. A truly enjoyable read.

It would be wonderful if you could edit this entry to include these details. Thank you very much! I appreciate your help.

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy  | 2 comments I needed to link to the correct edition of this book which includes the page-count and the cover image so I have added it here. I also changed the narrative description to the one I quoted in message 3. I hope that this is okay.