Read Your Face Off Book Club discussion

A Game of Thrones > Prologue - Eddard II

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riley (last edited Mar 29, 2018 07:41AM) (new)

Riley (rileyfickett) | 154 comments Mod
This thread is to discuss the Prologue through the second Eddard chapter of A Game of Thrones. Page numbers for these chapters can be found on this site. Please keep conversation to this chapter.

If you have not read this section, beware of spoilers!

message 2: by Riley (new)

Just got through this first section on my commute into work this morning! I don't know if it's because I'm already familiar with the story (due to the HBO series) but I'm absolutely loving listening to the story on audio! I've been loving the sections with Dany (her and Drogo<3) as well as any discussion of Robert & Ned regarding the overthrow of Aerys Targaryen.

I'm a bit bummed we won't get chapters from Cersei and Jaime in this book. Cersei is such a great villian in the series and Jaime is such a complex character. I hope we get to see more of them throughout this first book and hopefully get more of their perspectives later on in the series!

I'm having a great time reading this series so far and I hope everyone else is as well!

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Donovan (whatemmadidnextuk) I have a lot of these on audio too .. haven't watched the TV show and am not sure if it will be my thing or not .. but seeing that this is a readalong on here it makes me think that I will give it a go so that I can at least see what others think and discuss it too!

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (nocturnallyreading) Just got the first part done! Tried to read this book way back after season one first aired, but I did not finish. This read through so far is a lot more enjoyable because I now fully understand the world. Can't wait to read more. Also Dany and Drogo seem a lot more loving from the beginning of the relationship as well which is nice.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (booksandscribbles) | 32 comments Mod
This will be my third time reading this book. I have attempted to get through this series a couple of times and I keep stopping after the 2rd book. I am hoping to actually get through it since we are reading it together. I have watched about 3 seasons of the show so far. I think I might pick it up again after each book so I can compare it to the books.

message 6: by Belle (new)

Belle Lumiere (bellelumiere) | 25 comments Mod
One thing that always intimidated me about reading these books was how complex I imagined it all to be, but I've been pleasantly surprised with how easy it has been to follow so far. I think I'm with you Riley in that because I'm familiar with the show it's a lot easier for me to picture characters/remember who everyone is because I have a face to pull from my memory.

I'm enjoying the story so far, and knowing how a lot of things will play out is making me impatient to get to the "good bits", but I'm happy to take my time and enjoy the world building.

I'm choosing to ignore the ages in the book and referring to the characters from the TV show because the marriage and consummation of the marriage of a 13(?) year old to a great big mountain of a warlord is a little bit much for me. Having said that, Dany's chapters have been my favourite so far and I have to admit got a liiiiittle bit excited when she was gifted the dragon eggs...

message 7: by Riley (new)

Brittany wrote: "Just got the first part done! Tried to read this book way back after season one first aired, but I did not finish. This read through so far is a lot more enjoyable because I now fully understand th..."

I agree! The show depicts the relationship between Dany and Drogo as a lot more forced than the book does. They're cute together right from the get go in the book!

message 8: by Riley (new)

Belle wrote: "One thing that always intimidated me about reading these books was how complex I imagined it all to be, but I've been pleasantly surprised with how easy it has been to follow so far. I think I'm wi..."

So agree with you about being impatient to get to the "good bits" :P

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (booksandscribbles) | 32 comments Mod
Andrea wrote: "This will be my third time reading this book. I have attempted to get through this series a couple of times and I keep stopping after the 2rd book. I am hoping to actually get through it since we a..."
Quick update. I finally got around to making some progress in the book. I'm sorry, I know I'm behind. I've been listening to the audio book and loving it. My favorite chapters are the ones in Daenerys POV. She's my favorite character so far along with Arya.
I can't decide which characters I dislike more so far. It's a tie between Lady Stark and Viserys.
Viserys is just evil and Lady Stark's treatment of Jon is awful. I get he is the living reminder that her husband was unfaithful but she didn't have to tell Jon that she wishes it was him that was on his deathbed instead of Bran. That was messed up.

message 10: by Kira (new)

Kira (shelfloving) | 19 comments late to the game but finally started this! I've been wanting to read this series for a while but was scared by how large and complex the stories are. I loved this first section. It is almost exactly like the tv series which is helping me with the vast amount of characters but I like that the book isn't as dark or forceful as the tv show. there is still a lot of death and abuse but not as terrible as I thought it would be. can't wait to keep diving further in