Audiobooks discussion

Ask Audible > Star Ratings On Audible

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3603 comments Since I use a screen-reading program to voice what is on my computer, what I hear may not be what others see... so I'm checking. All the ratings for books on Audible are now rounded to the nearest half star--at least for me. I noticed this first when there was a sale and virtually every book was rated "4.5 out of 5 stars"... seemed like an odd coincidence. I checked other books on Audible and kept finding books mostly rated "4 out of 5 stars", although a "4 out of 5 stars" popped up occasionally. Then I found a few rated "5 stars"... even though there were a large number of ratings and the stats showed other ratings ranging from 4 stars to 1--that math doesn't work.

Is everyone else seeing this, or is the graphic attached to the rating labeled with an approximate rating so that I only get that? Either way it's new... and a far less helpful bit of information, imo. I want the exact rating, not an approximation!

message 2: by Simon (new)

Simon | 15 comments I can only say that it isn't happening yet on the UK site.

I agree it would be a retrograde step though.

message 3: by L J (last edited Mar 29, 2018 05:17PM) (new)

L J | 286 comments I tried audible USA on FireFox and GoogleChrome. The graphic stars always seem to look like the nearest half but my screen reader said "4.1 stars" or "4.2 stars" etc. Native text to speech (tts) by ulf3000 a free text to speech screen reader on FireFox. If I hover over the stars I still get a graph that gives rating at the top and that is not rounded to half and my tts will read that, too. That is what I usually look at because I want some idea of percentage of ratings at each level. GoogleChrome Read Aloud: A Text to Speech Voice Reader produced the same results on both stars and graphs as on FireFox.
Edit: update to add google information

message 4: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments I can't see any of the books in the current BOGO (Inactive member here), but in the last one, the $6.95 sale, it was funny that at least 3 of the books showed 4 or more stars, but the comment that showed at the bottom of the pop-up that you get when you hover on the book showed only 1 or 2 stars. One even said, "Don't waste your time."

Jeanie, I know you have vision issues, which makes reading tiring, but I urge you to skip any reliance on the star total that you see in book lists for sales, and go read the reviews.

message 5: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3603 comments CatBookMom wrote: "I can't see any of the books in the current BOGO (Inactive member here), but in the last one, the $6.95 sale, it was funny that at least 3 of the books showed 4 or more stars, but the comment that ..."

Every page, including the individual book page, shows only the rating in half star increments. Even the stats where the reviews give the Overall, Performance, and Story as the rounded average... although the percentages are also there. The ratings individual reviewers give are there just prior to the written review--I read and rely on reviews--but the actual mathematical average for the ratings doesn't appear anywhere for me. For years there were no individual ratings shown after the Overall/Performance/Story heading along with the review, so this particular change is an improvement for me, but I've lost a lot in the exchange. :(

I use JAWS for Windows as my screen reading program--the most popular for blind/visually impaired worldwide--and it has been excellent for reading the majority of the time. Audible changed something on its site and JAWS doesn't know how to handle it... so the problem is on my end and I either need to change some settings in JAWS or spend a bunch of money for the latest upgrade to JAWS so it handles the site to my satisfaction. Audible hasn't been especially user-friendly for me for more than a year--since they began making frequent cosmetic changes to the format of the site... maybe to make it mobile friendly? Ah well, I guess I'm either going to spend lots of time and money trying to regain usefulness of the site... or use the site less... story of my online life! ;P

message 6: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Jeanie wrote: " Audible hasn't been especially user-friendly for me for more than a year--since they began making frequent cosmetic changes to the format of the site... maybe to make it mobile friendly? Ah well, I guess I'm either going to spend lots of time and money trying to regain usefulness of the site... or use the site less... story of my online life! ;P ."

So sorry these changes are not working with your reading program. It seems to me that the many changes to the site in the last year or so are not friendly to anyone who is using a PC or Mac as their primary interface, even for those of us who aren't visually challenged.

It's all squashed into the middle, with tons of white around it - maybe it is better on SmartDevices. But it seems that a lot of useful functions have also disappeared, including a lot of Help info that used to be available from the main website. There isn't anything easy-to-find about how to upgrade the Audible Manager or Download Manager.

OK, y'all have read my complaining about this before. Sorry. But this is REALLY not making me any more likely to renew any sort of annual membership, or go back to my old pattern of buying more than 50 books a year.

message 7: by L J (new)

L J | 286 comments Jeanie wrote: "...I use JAWS...."

Jeanie, I went to Audible on Google and the free reader I use there also worked. I added the information to my earlier message.
What browser are you using?

message 8: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3603 comments I still use explorer because Chrome and Firefox have particular aspects that just don't work well for me. JAWS is quite a powerful screen-reading program designed especially to allow users with limited vision full access to all programs and apps on a computer... the trick is to know when it's a change in the program versus something JAWS isn't handling the same way it used to after a change has been implemented. Now it's up to me to find a way to have JAWS give me the information I want since it's not affecting others.

message 9: by L J (new)

L J | 286 comments Jeanie wrote: "I still use explorer because Chrome and Firefox have particular aspects that just don't work well for me. JAWS is quite a powerful screen-reading program designed especially to allow users with lim..."

Sorry I can't help more. My knowledge of JAWS is out of date. Think it was ZoomText that had some of the same problems with the same costly solution.

message 10: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3603 comments I appreciate the suggestions, L J... sometimes there just isn't an easy fix! ;)

message 11: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1837 comments Jeanie wrote: "Since I use a screen-reading program to voice what is on my computer, what I hear may not be what others see... so I'm checking. All the ratings for books on Audible are now rounded to the nearest ..."
Miriam here from Audio File Magazine. I don't know about the stars on Audible, but I can tell you that Audio File reviews hundreds if not thousands of audiobooks a year. The reviewers listen to and review the performance rather than book's content. When you find some titles you want to listen to, check out AudioFile's reviews to see what our reviewers think http://www.audiofilemagazine.com

As to the other comments about the star ratings on Audible, I agree with the other comments, read the reviews, don't rely on the stars.

message 12: by Simon (new)

Simon | 15 comments CatBookMom wrote: "I can't see any of the books in the current BOGO (Inactive member here), but in the last one, the $6.95 sale, it was funny that at least 3 of the books showed 4 or more stars, but the comment that ..."

There is an explanation for that. The comment is the headline of the highest rated review in terms of helpful votes and not a reflection of the overall star rating or indeed any other reviews.

message 13: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments Simon wrote: "The comment is the headline of the highest rated review in terms of helpful votes and not a reflection of the overall star rating or indeed any other reviews. ..."

Thank you, Simon. That's enlightening.