Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

April - BOOKS WITH MOVIES > Discussion: Books with Movies

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Mar 29, 2018 06:32AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Here at Wonderland we all are all book-lovers, but what about books with movie-adaptations? Not many movies do justice to the book, but sometimes a movie ended up showing me a whole other side to the story.
What about you guys? What do you think about the following questions:

1. What are your favorite movie adaptations?
I haven't read the books of these movies, but I really like Holes, A Monster Calls, The Silver Linings Playbook, Matilda and True Grit. And while not perfect, the Harry Potter movies are magical. At the screening of the last movie I started crying during the last 30 minutes and I didn't stop until the lights came back on.

2. Which adaptations are better than the book?
I really like Stardust and Coraline, although I don't like Gaiman's books very much. And since I'm also a big fan of musicals, I love the musical-adapations of Be More Chill, Mary Poppins, Les Misérables and War and Peace.
Yes, someone made a musical of that last book and it's amazing :D

3. Which adaptations didn't you like?
Let's not talk about the Percy Jackson movies, shall we? :-|
And the "Avatar: The Last Airbender" movie should be killed with fire.

4. What do you look for in an adaptation?
That the director sticks to the main plot, and the race of a character. If you're going to make a real-life adaptation of say Mulan or Othello, you better make sure the characters are Chinese or Black, or otherwise it's going to bother me the whole time I'm watching the film.

Also, movies about mental illness always make me nervous because I worry about the story becoming either too stereotypical or an illness being shown as too dark. Like, a mental hospital painted as a hellish place or a person's OCD being played for laughs.

5. If it's a guarantee that it will be perfect, what book would you like to be changed into a movie?
Can you imagine the sheer awesomeness of having a tv-series about the Maraunders? Seeing James, Sirius, Remus and Peter grow up in Hogwarts, get into loads to trouble, Remus trying to hide his illness, James slowly falling head-over-heels with Lily...and knowing how all of this will end? ^^
It's the perfect mix of love and pain!

message 2: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I love this theme so much!!

- With no doubts - Flipped. The movie is just as good as the book. Everytime I want to read or watch something fluffy and cute, I pick this book/movie. My other favorite book to movie adaptations are: anything by Nicholas Sparks (the movies are more hearbreaking than the book), Me Before You, The Hobbit, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, The Silence of the Lambs, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, Die Welle - Der Roman zum Film, Water for Elephants.... oh boy, this is my theme! :D

- Everything, Everything, Before I Fall. I didn't like those books so maybe that's why

- Percy Jackson movies are really bad but I enjoyed them anyway. :D
I was bored to death while watching The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Importance of Being Earnest. And of course - Twilight

- I copy Puck's answer - that the director sticks to the main plot. I want nothing more.
Or maybe Michael Fassbender being the main actor in every movie :D

5. If it's a guarantee that it will be perfect, what book would you like to be changed into a movie?
- NEVERNIGHT

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Puck wrote: "Here at Wonderland we all are all book-lovers, but what about books with movie-adaptations? Not many movies do justice to the book, but sometimes a movie ended up showing me a whole other side to t..."

1. I totally feel you on crying during the Harry Potter movies! I don't usually cry during movies, but last time I watched Philosopher's Stone, I cried during their QUIDDITCH SESSION. I got really emotional and went all "THEY ARE SO TINY AND PRECIOUS I LOVE THEM."

2. Same with Neil Gaiman! I like the movies (I will never get over Robert DeNiro dancing ballet), but so far I've had a lot of trouble getting into his books.

3. CAN I PLEASE HAVE A MARAUDERS BOOK OR MOVIE I'LL TAKE ANYTHING

message 4: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "I love this theme so much!!

- With no doubts - Flipped. The movie is just as good as the book. Everytime I want to read or watch somethin..."

Hahaha I'm going to have such a great time with this theme as well! There are soooo many books I want to read. Oooh, I wonder how many of us were Twihards back in the day? I was!

message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Harry Potter - like Puck said, they're not perfect, but they're magical and nostalgic. The Hunger Games have really good adaptations. The Martian, Me Before You.

And sorry, but I think I'm one of the only people in the world who actually liked the Percy Jackson movies. In my defense, I saw the movies before I read the books. I possess the ability to enjoy them separately. Also I have a crush on Jake Abel (Luke). That helps.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Austenland, Nerve, The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend, The Devil Wears Prada. Most of these books I didn't enjoy, but loved their movies!

I'm not sure I've come across an adaptation that I didn't like. I mean, obviously the Twilight movies are terrible, but I adored them when I was in that phase. Pretty sure I went to see the first movie in the cinema three times. Now all I can see are the awkward stares. O_O

I hated the Fifty Shades of Grey movie, but I hated the book too, so I'm not sure why I watched it.

I'm not a visual reader and I do really miss seeing everything come to life before my eyes when reading. I can't picture a character's face or vividly see a setting. So I really love that feeling when an adaptation's good and I can properly see it.

The Night Circus. I just really want to see that circus come to life. I loved that atmosphere and, if it was done perfectly, I would sigh happily all the way throughout the movie.

message 6: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I am with everyone on this, Harry Potter! While yes I agree they aren't perfect (I mean come on, how could you not include Peeves in the movies!), they do an awfully good job of making the magical world come to life for me. Other than that I do enjoy The Hunger Games, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Help, and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I thought all of these were pretty faithful to the books and had some great visuals that brought me back to the book.

There aren't many books that I think they did a better job with the movie, but if I had to choose I would say Pride and Prejudice and Ella Enchanted. Both books were good but I think I enjoyed the movies way more.

The biggest one I can think of is Twilight for sure. Kristen Stewart ruined that big time for me. My friend and I still talk about how horrible it was and that they ruined a good series. I also wasn't a big fan of the Percy Jackson.

What do you look for in an adaption?
I really want it to be true to the book. As in no big plot changes and not changing up what a character is supposed to look like (i.e. if the character is asian or black or white, make them the same ethnicity). I also really look to see that the setting seems true and makes me really remember the book. If I feel like I jumped back into the book then I will most likely give the movie a good rating.

If it's a guarantee that it will be perfect, what book would you like to be changed into a movie?
Right now for this one I would either have to go with Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas or Illuminae because they both would be awesome to visually see! I also would agree with others on having some prequel to do with the Marauders, that would be epic!