Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

30 views
April - BOOKS WITH MOVIES > What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
For April, you have chosen BOOKS WITH MOVIE ADAPTATIONS!

I feel like this theme is fairly self-explanatory, and I have big plans for it! I want to read so many books and I know won't get to all of them. The ones I definitely want to read are:
- Mockingjay (to finish my reread of the series)
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (for our buddy read)

If there is time, I will be picking books from the following list:
- Before I Fall
- A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- Girl, Interrupted

If you want to be a little cheeky and read a book that came after the movie, that is fine too. As long as it has a movie, it works for the theme. "But can I read a book that spawned a TV series?" Yeeees, yes. *waves hand dismissively* We're all good.

So, what will you be reading?


message 2: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I am thinking about The Hunger Games, Twilight or The Hobbit or Eragon. I read those books when I was a teenager (feels like forever ago) and now I want to re-read them. I am not sure which one I will pick because I am a mood reader. I just hope I will still love them


WhatIReallyRead I'm still reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail which I've started for the "Adventures and Journeys" theme. It has a movie with Reese Witherspoon. I guess if you read a book long enough it ends up fitting multiple group themes lmao :D


message 4: by Ely, White Queen (new)

Ely (earlgreybooks) | 7 comments Mod
I've got so many plans! I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring right now, and then I want to go on with The Two Towers and The Return of the King. Plus Eragon, The Swiss Family Robinson, a reread of The Book Thief and A Room with a View. It's going to be a big month!


Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I'm joining the buddy-read for Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and I'm currently reading Ready Player One.

I'm still waiting for Obsidio to arrive, so when it does I'll be reading that first and I'm not sure if I'll be able to pick anything else up for this theme.

(Although, I am currently listening to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows :-)


message 6: by Dina (new)

Dina (dinasoaur) | 10 comments I have a couple of books that could fit the prompt. I could go the classics route and read some Jane Austen. I have way too many unread Jane Austen books. Other options: The Fifth Wave, Twilight, New Moon, The Darkest Minds, and Howl's Moving Castle.

*Thinks*
Whoa. I actually have lots of options. This is great!


message 7: by Ely, White Queen (new)

Ely (earlgreybooks) | 7 comments Mod
Dina wrote: "I have a couple of books that could fit the prompt. I could go the classics route and read some Jane Austen. I have way too many unread Jane Austen books. Other options: The Fifth Wave, Twilight, N..."

So many good ones too, Dina! I totally vote for The Darkest Minds and Howl's Moving Castle ;)


message 8: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Ely wrote: "I've got so many plans! I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring right now, and then I want to go on with The Two Towers and The Return of the King. Plus [book:Era..."

Great list Ely! You will need some tissues for the Book Thief, but reading the Lord of the Rings books will definitely take you on a wild adventure. Better take some second breakfast with you! ;D


message 9: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Dina wrote: "I have a couple of books that could fit the prompt. I could go the classics route and read some Jane Austen. I have way too many unread Jane Austen books. Other options: The Fifth Wave, Twilight, N..."

Laura wrote: "I've had Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children on my shelf for ages and I still haven't picked it up, but I've been told that both the book and the movie are very good, so I th..."

Reading some Jane Austen is always a good choice, ladies! Pride and Prejudice is indeed one of her most known and popular books, and a great place to start. So far I've read all Austen's books minus one, Emma, so hopefully I'll get to that this month.


message 10: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I'm planning on reading Alice's Adventures In Wonderland for this month's buddy-read, and hopefully "Simon vs." if I can get my hands on it: it's a popular book in our library :)

Further I received my copy Children of Blood and Bone so I really look forward to reading that, and I got my hands on The Handmaid's Tale. Let's see what all the buzz about this book is about.


message 11: by K. (last edited Mar 31, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

K. (keiiksm) | 21 comments I think I'll read
- Call Me by Your Name
- Coraline (+ Stardust if I enjoy Coraline.)
And maybe The Book Thief if I have time!

I love Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and The Hate U Give *dying to watch the movies*, I hope you enjoy them <3


message 12: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "I am thinking about The Hunger Games, Twilight or The Hobbit or Eragon. I read those books when I was a teenager (feels like forever ago) and n..."

PLEASE read Twilight. I need a laugh.

WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I'm still reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail which I've started for the "Adventures and Journeys" theme. It has a movie with Reese Witherspoon. I guess if y..."

I'm so glad to see you are enjoying this book! I am reading one of her other books right now, Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar. Both are great in their own way.

Ely wrote: "I've got so many plans! I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring right now, and then I want to go on with The Two Towers and The Return of the King. Plus [book:Era..."

Holy shit.


message 13: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Sam wrote: "I will be reading
~ Paper Towns
~ The Fault in our Stars
~ The Fellowship of the Ring
~ Simon vs. The Homosapiens Agenda
~ The Darkest minds"


That sounds like a great and varied list. Happy reading, Sam!

Laura wrote: "I've had Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children on my shelf for ages and I still haven't picked it up, but I've been told that both the book and the movie are very good, so I th..."

I actually noticed the same thing, that Harry Potter fits every single theme! Hmmm, do you think we could pull off an umbrella theme...? All your books totally count in my book (heh), as well, by the way. Hope you have a great reading month!

Natulcien wrote: "I'm joining the buddy-read for Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and I'm currently reading Ready Player One.

I'm still waiting for Obsidio to arrive,..."


Of course Obsidio gets priority. *nods* How are you enjoying RPO?


message 14: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
K. wrote: "I think I'll read
- Call Me by Your Name
- Coraline (+ Stardust if I enjoy Coraline.)
And maybe The Book Thief if I have time!

I love Simon vs. ..."


I'm really looking forward to seeing the Simon and THUG movies too! I hope your reads are awesome.

Puck wrote: "I'm planning on reading Alice's Adventures In Wonderland for this month's buddy-read, and hopefully "Simon vs." if I can get my hands on it: it's a popular book in our library :)

F..."


I'm glad to hear that people are all over Simon at your library! This representation is important.

Dina wrote: "I have a couple of books that could fit the prompt. I could go the classics route and read some Jane Austen. I have way too many unread Jane Austen books. Other options: The Fifth Wave, Twilight, N..."

Maybe you and Lucie can do a Twilight buddy read. :D


message 15: by Stien (new)

Stien I have been so busy for the past few months, so I'm hoping to finally finish my reread of the Harry Potter series this month. I'm halfway through Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at the moment. I'm also joining the buddy read for Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. It has been on my TBR for so long so I'm excited to read it!


message 16: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Inge wrote: "Sam wrote: "I will be reading
~ Paper Towns
~ The Fault in our Stars
~ The Fellowship of the Ring
~ Simon vs. The Homosapiens Agenda
~ The Darkest minds"

That sounds like a great and varied list. ..."


Hopefully Obisidio will arrive this week since I got an e-mail saying it arrived in Belgium and is now in customs (fingers crossed I don't have to pay an extra fee!)

I'm enjoying RPO a lot, it's a tribute to my childhood years :-)


message 17: by Ally (last edited Apr 01, 2018 10:18PM) (new)

Ally | 22 comments For this month's theme I plan on reading:

- Alice in Wonderland for the buddy read (which is perfect timing because I just finished reading Marissa Meyer's book Heartless about the Queen of Hearts before she became the Queen of Hearts a couple days ago)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- The first few books of A Series of Unfortunate Events books (the show is better than the movie though in my opinion)
- Sea of Monsters from the Percy Jackson series
- The Mist by Stephen King (I've only seen the tv series that was cancelled of this, but I know there's a movie as well)


message 18: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) Inge wrote: "lucie wrote: "I am thinking about The Hunger Games, Twilight or The Hobbit or Eragon. I read those books when I was a teenager (feels like forever ago) and n..."

PLEASE read Twilight. I need a laugh."


your wish is my command
:D


message 19: by Cathy (new)

Cathy I have no idea what I'll actually be reading this month, but there are so many options!

I should read: Murder on the Orient Express
I will probably read: Ready Player One because I'm going to go see the movie at the cinema in a couple of weeks' time.
I may read: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

I've been on the fence about the last book for ages. It's popped up on my radar a few times, but opinions vary amongst my friends and I've never felt a huge urge to pick it up. Since it's this month's buddy read, maybe I should join, though.


message 20: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "Inge wrote: "lucie wrote: "I am thinking about The Hunger Games, Twilight or The Hobbit or Eragon. I read those books when I was a teenager (feels like forever ago) and n..."

PLEASE read Twilight...."


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

:D


message 21: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Stien wrote: "I have been so busy for the past few months, so I'm hoping to finally finish my reread of the Harry Potter series this month. I'm halfway through Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at ..."

Yay for joining the buddy read! And I can only applaud your Harry Potter reread. I started the Philosopher's Stone last week so I'm getting my reread on too!

Ally wrote: "For this month's theme I plan on reading:

- Alice in Wonderland for the buddy read (which is perfect timing because I just finished reading Marissa Meyer's book Heartless about the Queen of Hearts..."


Ohh what did you think of Heartless? I really loved that one. Have you read the Percy Jackson series before or is it your first time?

Cathy wrote: "I have no idea what I'll actually be reading this month, but there are so many options!

I should read: Murder on the Orient Express
I will probably read: Ready Player One because I'm going to go ..."


Come and join the dance! Wait, wrong buddy read... :D


message 22: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
So yesterday I went to the library to pick up the Handmaid's Tale, and I found to my surprise Strangers on a Train. I only know Highsmith because I've seen "The Talented Mr. Ripley" which is based on Highsmith's book, and that movie was incredible and so good.

"Strangers on the Train" also has been filmed (that movie came out in 1951, so it's an oldie) and since I travel a lot by train, I look forward to reading this and seeing if it's as creepy and tense as Mr. Ripley!


message 23: by lucie (last edited Apr 05, 2018 12:19AM) (new)


message 24: by Ally (new)

Ally | 22 comments Inge wrote: "Stien wrote: "I have been so busy for the past few months, so I'm hoping to finally finish my reread of the Harry Potter series this month. I'm halfway through [book:Harry Potter and the Half-Blood..."

I really enjoyed Heartless! I think the beginning was a bit slow, but it didn't bother me, I love the world of Wonderland so much! And it was really interesting knowing who Cath ends up being when she's such a likable person- I really liked it!

This is incredibly shameful but I've never actually read the Percy Jackson series! D:
I've read the first one and part of the second one a few years ago but I never finished them so it's finally time to read them, I think! I'm excited for it tough, I know everyone seems to adore them


message 25: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I have been off of goodreads for two weeks and it feels like forever! I have just started Ready Player One and I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought! It is so intriguing. Though I am not sure I like the main character Wade all that much...his thought process is a little off on me but we will see how it ends.


message 26: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Ally wrote: "Inge wrote: "Stien wrote: "I have been so busy for the past few months, so I'm hoping to finally finish my reread of the Harry Potter series this month. I'm halfway through [book:Harry Potter and t..."

I know, Cath was so sweet and likeable, I was so curious to see how she would end up evil! It was really cool, and all the talk about food made me so hungry :D

Ahhh I hope you love them, they're really funny. ♥


message 27: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Apr 17, 2018 12:51AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Hi, how is everyone doing? :)
Have you too been reading books outside now that the weather is getting better? I'm so glad spring is finally here: I'm done with the cold and the rain! 🌸

I recently finished Children of Blood and Bone and The Handmaid's Tale and both were a bit of a bummer for me. I loved the world and the magic of the first book, but the romance annoyed me, and with the second book the writing prevented me from really feeling the horror of the dystopian world. Too bad, I had high hopes for the both of them...

I'll write reviews for those books later this week, but for now my next book on the planning is Emma! This will be my last Jane Austen book, so I'm excited to start it. :D


back to top