Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

April - BOOKS WITH MOVIES > How are you enjoying your books?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss the book(s) you are currently reading for our book club. How are you enjoying them? Have you seen the movie adaptation - how does it compare?

message 2: by Rodney (new)

Rodney (rodneybracke) | 25 comments I'm currently reading The Once and Future King by TH. White.

There have been quite a few King Arthur novels but part 1 of this 4-parted book is the basis for the Disney movie "The Sword in the Stone" (which will have a live action adaptation next year it seems); a childhood favorite of mine.

I'm about 50 pages in (600 to go) but I can see where Disney gets it's inspiration. So far it's just as lighthearted and fun as the movie, I hope that doesn't change in the next parts where quite a bit of bad stuff has to happen.

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Rodney wrote: "I'm currently reading The Once and Future King by TH. White.

There have been quite a few King Arthur novels but part 1 of this 4-parted book is the basis for the Disney movie "The S..."

Cool! I didn't realise The Sword in the Stone was based on a book, I thought it was just a King Arthur retelling. I also didn't know about the live action version, will it have Archimedes? Because I need Archimedes ;)

message 4: by lucie (new)

lucie (arey) I am reading Twilight - yup, it's happening!

I read this ten years ago for the first time and loved it. I am currently one chapter in and it's good.
I just wish I have never watched the movies

message 5: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
lucie wrote: "I am reading Twilight - yup, it's happening!

I read this ten years ago for the first time and loved it. I am currently one chapter in and it's good.
I just wish I have never watched ..."

I agree Lucie...I think the movies ruined it for me. I absolutely loved the books when I first read them. I will probably have to do a reread eventually.

message 6: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

I am about a 1/3 of the way through Ready Player One and really want to finish it before I see the movies (though I am hearing there is a lot of changes from the book to the movie.) It is really good so far and I was surprised with how fast I am going through it.

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Arika wrote: "I am about a 1/3 of the way through Ready Player One and really want to finish it before I see the movies (though I am hearing there is a lot of changes from the book to the movie.) ..."

I actually finished the book two hours before watching the movie. I have to say I enjoyed both, even though there were a lot of differences between the book and the movie. But both were very enjoyable (who am I kidding, I loved both :-) )

message 8: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Apr 11, 2018 02:12AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I'm currently reading Children of Blood and Bone and...I'm not really liking it so far 🙊
I'm now at page 166 and so far the story has only reminded me of how similar it feels to Avatar the Last Airbender and the world itself to Wakanda (from the Black Panther movie).
Which isn't a bad similarity, but I was hoping for more...creativity? More of a surprising spark? I don't know: I just hope the story will pick up soon. 😖

message 9: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Puck wrote: "I'm currently reading Children of Blood and Bone and...I'm not really liking it so far 🙊
I'm now at page 166 and so far the story has only reminded me of how similar it feels to Ava..."

I have to say I liked the second half of that book a lot more but I definitely see what you are saying Puck. The first half really took me a lot longer to read and some of the characters got on my nerve.

message 10: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I'm rereading Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and I'm liking it better the second time around. Maybe I'll up my rating to 3.5 stars by the time I'm done. ;)

I'm also really enjoying A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets. It's such a cute story and I've been meaning to read it for ages. Bob is such a character, he reminds me a lot of my Floof!

message 11: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "I'm rereading Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and I'm liking it better the second time around. Maybe I'll up my rating to 3.5 stars by the time I'm done. ;)

I'm also really enjoy..."

That's great Inge: all books that remind you of your own sweet pet are the best <3

I'm not really enjoying my current reads - Children of Blood and Bone and The Handmaid's Tale - which is a bit of a bummer.
On the flip side, thanks to reading Alice's Adventures with the Bookclub I was craving some Disney movies, so I watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (made in 1937!) That movie was one of my favorites then I was young - although that scene in the forest freaked me out - and seeing it back after so long was great :)

If there are other people interested, here it is!

message 12: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "Inge wrote: "I'm rereading Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and I'm liking it better the second time around. Maybe I'll up my rating to 3.5 stars by the time I'm done. ;)

I'm also..."

Aww I can't watch it in Belgium due to copyright! What other Disney movies are you planning to watch? Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your current reads. Some Disney will make things better, I'm sure. ^_^