Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

Alice in Wonderland
This topic is about Alice in Wonderland
April - BOOKS WITH MOVIES > Buddy read: Alice In Wonderland

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
We've been wanting to do an Alice in Wonderland readalong for a while now, so we thought this month's theme would be the perfect occasion for it!

It's time for a tea party! If this sounds like fun to you, go pay a visit to your libraries, grab your old copies, or snag a digital copy for as little as a dollar on Amazon. Come and join the dance...

Please keep spoilers under spoiler tags! You can do this by typing
< spoiler>SPOILER HERE< /spoiler> and removing the spaces. Thank you. ♥

message 2: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Mar 31, 2018 04:07AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I'm joining the dance! I just bought a copy of this classic and I'm excited to visit Wonderland :)

message 3: by Rodney (new)

Rodney (rodneybracke) | 25 comments Back in 2014, when I just started getting back into reading, this was one of the first books I bought. But somehow it's still lying around unread. High time to fix it. I'm in!

message 4: by Casual (new)

Casual Reader | 11 comments Hey Everyone. I'd like to join in this buddy read! Alice in wonderland has been a book that has been 'to read' list for a long time.

message 5: by Meeghan (new)

Meeghan (meeghanw) | 18 comments YAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS!! I have been waiting for this! <3

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I think I might join this buddyread later on in the month. (Please, Obsidio, arrive this week so I can finally dive back into this world!) I have this beautiful illustrated edition that I've been wanting to read.

message 7: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
I started reading today and I got to chapter 7, The Mad Tea Party" and so far I'm really enjoying it! In the movie the scene with the Caterpillar was more aloof, but in the book I totally understood Alice's frustration: his answers made no sense! Grrrrr...

Let's see how that tea party will go: I look forward to meeting the Hatter, the Mad Hare and the Doormouse :)

message 8: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "I started reading today and I got to chapter 7, The Mad Tea Party" and so far I'm really enjoying it! In the movie the scene with the Caterpillar was more aloof, but in the book I totally understoo..."

Are you comparing it to the Disney version or the Tim Burton version? (Or is there another version I'm not aware of?)

message 9: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "Puck wrote: "I started reading today and I got to chapter 7, The Mad Tea Party" and so far I'm really enjoying it! In the movie the scene with the Caterpillar was more aloof, but in the book I tota..."

The Disney version actually! Images from that movie keep popping into my mind while I'm reading: like during Alice's slow fall down the well.
It's been a long time since I watched the Tim Burton version so I don't recall it that well...I suppose since Disney was the first, that sticks around longer ;)

message 10: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "Inge wrote: "Puck wrote: "I started reading today and I got to chapter 7, The Mad Tea Party" and so far I'm really enjoying it! In the movie the scene with the Caterpillar was more aloof, but in th..."

Can you believe I've never seen the Disney version? And I call myself a Disney expert. I'm going to go hide in a hole now. ;)

message 11: by Rodney (new)

Rodney (rodneybracke) | 25 comments This is a much quicker read than I thought, I'm rushing through it. Loving the Queen whose solution to everything is "Off with their heads".

The book is really good so far, which is a bit of a surprise because the Disney movie is about the only Disney movie I didn't like. Think I'll read "Through the Looking Glass" right after this.

message 12: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Inge wrote: "Puck wrote: "Inge wrote: "Puck wrote: "I started reading today and I got to chapter 7, The Mad Tea Party" and so far I'm really enjoying it! In the movie the scene with the Caterpillar was more alo..."

Well, I just checked and the Disney movie came out in 1951(!), so it's not that strange that you haven't seen it Inge. It's really a classic. :)

But just like Rodney I flew through the book and I had a lot of fun reading it. The old illustrations really added a lot to the story and it's overall strangeness.
My favorite scene was with the Red Queen too; just like Alice I wondered if there would be anyone left to play crocket with!

message 13: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
But because I'm so familiar with the Disney movie, I missed meeting the flowers! I really liked their singing :)

For people (un)familiar with the scene: here it is.

message 14: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Puck wrote: "But because I'm so familiar with the Disney movie, I missed meeting the flowers! I really liked their singing :)

For people (un)familiar with the scene: here it is."

Okay that made me happy. :D

lucie (arey) Puck wrote: "But because I'm so familiar with the Disney movie, I missed meeting the flowers! I really liked their singing :)

For people (un)familiar with the scene: here it is."

this is my favorite adaptation! I've seen it many times as a kid :)

message 16: by Ally (new)

Ally | 22 comments I just bought a new copy of Alice in Wonderland for this- I'm super excited to start it! I haven't read this book in probably 8 years

I've seen practically every adaptation of this book because I grew up loving it but also because my mom LOOOVES Alice in Wonderland, so she's got pretty much all of them. Some are great, some are reeeaallly not, but my favourites are the Tim Burton one (not through the looking glass though, that one wasn't very good) and the Disney one.

There's a version from 1999 with Whoopi Goldberg playing the Cheshire Cat. She actually looks really creepy in it to be honest but I think I enjoyed it?? I haven't seen it since I was a kid though so maybe I wouldn't like it as an adult I'm not sure, but has anyone else seen that one?

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 1 comments Alice in Wonderland held steady as my favorite book from youth till the release of Andy Weir's The Martian! Total fan girl here. I own 9 different versions of the movie including the one Ally mentioned with Whoopi (what a version, delightfully weird) I also have a strange addiction to buying the book. It started out as hoping to find a first edition and morphed into I must own every cover and combination. My German copy is one of my favorites!

message 18: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Apr 17, 2018 12:44AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Theresa wrote: "Alice in Wonderland held steady as my favorite book from youth till the release of Andy Weir's The Martian! Total fan girl here. I own 9 different versions of the movie including the one Ally menti..."

Wow Theresa, that's quite a collection! :O How wonderful (ha!) that this book - and the movie speaks so much to you. The only other person who loves the book is booktuber Hailey: I believe she also has more than 15 editions of the book.

What's so special about your German copy: is the art inside or do you like the German translation the best?

message 19: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Ally wrote: "I just bought a new copy of Alice in Wonderland for this- I'm super excited to start it! I haven't read this book in probably 8 years

I've seen practically every adaptation of this book because I ..."

Yeah, Through the Looking Glass was... weird.

message 20: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I haven't been very active in this thread, but last week I listened to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass and I had forgotten how weird this story is. I still enjoyed it, though, but it's nevertheless weird :-)