Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Post a link to your review, or write one here!

message 2: by Rodney (last edited Apr 02, 2018 03:48AM) (new)

Rodney (rodneybracke) | 25 comments Finished The Two Towers, JRR Tolkien today. The 3rd or 4th time I've read it since I was 14. It does not lose any of it's greatness, it will always be one of the best.

However I noted a change in my own attitude towards the book this time. Previous times I always loved the non-Frodo books & somewhat dreaded having to get through some of the Frodo-journey parts. But this time I enjoyed those bits more than the rest of the book. I really got engulfed in Frodo's journey.

Immediately starting The Return of the King. Hope to have it finished before end of april.

PS: I don't know what happened in Sam's youth that he should feel so inferior to each and every one but WOW. It really shone through this read, especially the last bit where he has to start making decisions for himself.

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Rodney wrote: "Finished The Two Towers, JRR Tolkien today. The 3rd or 4th time I've read it since I was 14. It does not lose any of it's greatness, it will always be one of the best.

However I not..."

I am very bad with classics (and therefore the LOTR books weren't my best reading experience), but your review really makes me want to watch the movies again... weren't they amazing?

message 4: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Apr 11, 2018 04:45AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
This Monday I finished an old psychological thriller, Strangers on a Train, which was turned into a movie in 1950(!). This noir thriller has some good twists and really gets under your skin, but the beginning was quite slow so I gave the book 3 stars.
Here you can read my review, and if you want to read a short but creepy thriller, you should try this!

message 5: by Inge, Mad Hatter (last edited Apr 12, 2018 02:46AM) (new)

I reread Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for like the 6th time and I'm pretty sure this one doesn't need a review. It's not my favourite in the series, but gets a 5-star rating for sentimental value. I love this world.

For our Belgian readers, they're playing the first Harry Potter movie on Vier on Saturday April 21st!

message 6: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
So I just finished Ready Player One and I really enjoyed it! I love the movie and music of the 80s, so it was easy to fall in love with the book. Some of the game references got me a little confused because I am not a huge gamer but most of them I remembered. You can find my review here.

I am a little nervous about seeing the movie...I've heard it has some major plot changes and my friend said she definitely liked the book better than the movie.

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Arika wrote: "So I just finished Ready Player One and I really enjoyed it! I love the movie and music of the 80s, so it was easy to fall in love with the book. Some of the game references got me a..."

I've seen the movie and even though there's a huge difference between the book and the movie, I still think Spielberg did a great job. When you see the movie, you'll have to admit that the quests are a bit long and 'slow' to put in a movie. But the way Spielberg adapted the story was wonderful and well done!
I hope you enjoy it when you go and see it :-)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Inge wrote: "I reread Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for like the 6th time and I'm pretty sure this one doesn't need a review. It's not my favourite in the series, but gets a 5-star ratin..."

I prefer watching the movies on dvd, because I hate all the commercials :-s

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I just realised I never posted on here that I finished both Ready Player One and Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

I didn't write a review but I can say that I enjoyed both books.

Okay, let's be honest: I loved RPO. I'm an 80s kid (born in 1980) so I loved all the 80s references even though I wasn't familiar with all the 'cartoons' and games mentioned (but my boyfriend usually was, so it was fun mentioning them to him).

I liked Simon vs, but I think I'm starting to realise that YA contemporary isn't really my cup of tea. I've enjoyed some of the stories I've read, but fantasy will always be my number one favourite genre. I am venturing into sci-fi though and would like to start reading steam punk :-D

message 10: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Natulcien wrote: "I just realised I never posted on here that I finished both Ready Player One and Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

I didn't write a review but I can say that I enjo..."

I have to agree with you Natulcien, YA contemporary isn't top of my list for reading...I have enjoyed some of them in the past but I definitely don't gravitate to those as much as I do Fantasy.

message 11: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Natulcien wrote: "Inge wrote: "I reread Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for like the 6th time and I'm pretty sure this one doesn't need a review. It's not my favourite in the series, but gets a..."

Me too! But it's worth mentioning. I record everything I want to watch and fast forward through the commercials. :D

message 12: by lucie (last edited Apr 12, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

lucie (arey) I am currently binge reading the Twilight Saga! I just finished book three and I am about to start the last book in the series.
I thought that I will hate the books now when I am older because there are tropes I usually hate, but I truly enjoy reading them :)
(I am sorry Inge, there will be no rant :D)

I also finished The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. The book was really good but I like the movie a little bit more (because it made me cry)

message 13: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

lucie wrote: "I am currently binge reading the Twilight Saga! I just finished book three and I am about to start the last book in the series.
I thought that I will hate the books now when I am older because the..."

Damn it :D but I'm glad that you're enjoying them!

message 14: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I finished Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, which was a reread for me, and I liked it better the second time around. I've upped my rating from 3 to 3.5 stars. It definitely made me smile a lot, and I love all the Oreo and Harry Potter references.

I've also finished A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets, which is another book that put a smile on my face. Bob is such a character, and his curiosity reminds me of my own cat, Floof. 4 stars.

message 15: by Ally (new)

Ally | 22 comments lucie wrote: "I am currently binge reading the Twilight Saga! I just finished book three and I am about to start the last book in the series.
I thought that I will hate the books now when I am older because the..."

I read the Boy in the Striped Pajamas little while ago but I haven't seen the movie yet- if I see what happens in that book on a screen I'll be crying too D:

message 16: by Ally (new)

Ally | 22 comments I read The Sea of Monsters for the first time (I know- it took me long enough lol) and I really enjoyed it! You can read my thoughts about it in my short little review here :)

message 17: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Ally wrote: "I read The Sea of Monsters for the first time (I know- it took me long enough lol) and I really enjoyed it! You can read my thoughts about it in my short little review here :)"

Yes, Percy Jackson! <3 Are you going to continue with the series? I can promise you: the story only gets better and better!

message 18: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Remember when I said I would write my review for The Handmaid's Tale later? I lied: here it already is. I gave 3 stars to this terrifying dystopia book: the world really got to me, but the narrative was too dull to make the story really hit hard.

Still, a book worth reading and - although I haven't yet - a show worth watching!

message 19: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

I've finished my reread of Mockingjay and I'm also upping my rating from 3 to 3.5 stars. I don't know, I just really appreciated this series so much more now that I'm older and understand things better. There are things I will never be happy about (view spoiler), but it's still a damn good series.

message 20: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I forgot to post my very short review of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass. You can find it
here.