Presidential Biographies discussion

Book Recommendations > William Henry Harrison

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Wynne | 2 comments Any recommendations for best bios on William Henry Harrison?

message 2: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Landry | 22 comments It depends on how in depth you want to go. Gail Collins put out a short (100-150 pgs) biography of Harrison (William Henry Harrison) as part of the Times Books series on the American Presidents that was good. The most easily accessible full length biography of Harrison is Freeman Cleaves's Old Tippecanoe: William Henry Harrison and His Time. It's an older work originally published in 1939 but contains some really good information. Though they're not full biographies, two more recently published books that provide a wealth of information about portions of Harrison's life not regularly focused on are Hendrik Booraem's A Child of the Revolution: William Henry Harrison and His World, 1773-1798 and Robert Owens's Mr. Jefferson's Hammer: William Henry Harrison and the Origins of American Indian Policy. I hope that helps!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 32 comments I read Cleave’s Old Tippecane: William Henry Harrison and His Time. It was tedious but has a lot of good info.

Jerry, Is Gail Collins the NY Times editor?

I may look into the other books that Jerry mentioned.

message 4: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Landry | 22 comments Lisa, that is the same Gail Collins! In the intro, she talks about growing up in the Cincinnati area and the local connection to Harrison.

Lisa wrote: "I read Cleave’s Old Tippecane: William Henry Harrison and His Time. It was tedious but has a lot of good info.

Jerry, Is Gail Collins the NY Times editor?

I may look into the other books that J..."

message 5: by Matt (new)

Matt Wynne | 2 comments Thanks so much! I’ll more than likely go with the one by Freeman Cleaves.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 32 comments Thanks for the info, Jerry.