Horror Aficionados discussion

Under a Watchful Eye
This topic is about Under a Watchful Eye
Buddy Reads > Under a Watchful Eye - Adam Nevill

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Hi all!

Rachel, Terry and I are going to read Adam Nevill's Under a Watchful Eye by Adam Nevill and will be starting next week.

Feel free to join us if you like :)

This will be my first Nevill but I saw that many of you have read The Ritual by Adam Nevill last month. Maybe I have to catch up on that later :)

Happy reading and make sure to use spoiler tags (and maybe not quote what's in a spoiler. I've seen this a couple of times and realized to late that is was originally a spoiler xD).

I wish y'all happy holidays :)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I am excited!

Nickronomicon | 158 comments There’s too many choices for me this month! I’m a big fan of Adam Nevill so I’d like to try to squeeze this one in too if you don’t mind me joining along.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Yes, join us!

Terry | 4930 comments I just got my copy of the book today, so I'm all ready to go!

Terry | 4930 comments Feli wrote: "Hi all!

Rachel, Terry and I are going to read Adam Nevill's Under a Watchful Eye by Adam Nevill and will be starting next week.

Feel free to join us if you like :)

This wi..."

I read The Ritual last year, and really liked it. The movie for it that just came out recently on Netflix isn't too bad either. Worth giving it a shot, I think.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I'm so excited. I heard this one is really scary.

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm so excited. I heard this one is really scary."

I hope so :)
I will start tomorrow or Tuesday with it, depends on how much work to do, but Tuesday for sure. Can't wait to start :)

I have still no idea what this is about, 'cause I got it in the NRB last year. But I like those books the best because I have no false expectations then 😂

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments same, i don't really know what it's about either lol. someone i was talking to online said it scared them so i put it on hold at the library

Terry | 4930 comments Rachel wrote: "same, i don't really know what it's about either lol. someone i was talking to online said it scared them so i put it on hold at the library"

Me three! I purposely did not read what this one was about at all so going in blind like you guys.

Terry | 4930 comments I started it and have read the first four chapters. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Jen from Quebec :0) (last edited Apr 03, 2018 09:13AM) (new)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 397 comments YES. I am super happy about this. I own a copy of THIS book, but I did not have, nor was I able to acquire a copy of 'The Ritual', so I missed out on reading any Adam Nevill. SO, I will finally get to read his stuff, as THIS is the only book of his that I have! Perfect! *off to bookmark this thread so I do not lose track of it* ---Jen from Quebec :0)

Terry | 4930 comments I'm about a quarter of the way in. Caught up in the mystery of it now.

Nickronomicon | 158 comments I'm almost done with Part 1. Just when I think I know where it's going, it changes. I saw the same reviews a few of you did that the less you know the more you will enjoy the story, so I'm going in blind as well. Part of me wants to scream at Seb, now I'm not so sure...

Terry | 4930 comments Nickronomicon wrote: "I'm almost done with Part 1. Just when I think I know where it's going, it changes. I saw the same reviews a few of you did that the less you know the more you will enjoy the story, so I'm going in..."

At least tell him to get some backbone!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Lol, he's already frustrating me.

I'm only at page 30 which is just at the beginning of chapter 5
(view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Terry wrote: "I started it and have read the first four chapters. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments I started yesterday and just finished chapter 9.
I can't really tell what I'm thinking about it, at least not yet. I like the book and really want to go on but I needed some pages to really get into it. But looking back now I think the beginning of this story was quite good. So I don't know what took me so long to really enjoy it. It's a bit weird (like the book, hehe).

Ewan is just... urg.. But he at least is a very interesting (and disgusting) character. I don't like Seb much, because although I think he is right in most what he says, it's not quite fair, either.
Chapters 7 & 8 (view spoiler)

Chapters 8 & 9 (view spoiler)

I like it so far and will go on reading this evening, but it's not creepy for me... I don't know what it is... Maybe there aren't any books that I find really creepy. The hardest part for me was (view spoiler) ;)

I hope you are all enjoying this book :)

Question: Is The Ritual similar to this book or does it go in a different direction?

message 19: by Terry (last edited Apr 08, 2018 10:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terry | 4930 comments Feli wrote: "I started yesterday and just finished chapter 9.
I can't really tell what I'm thinking about it, at least not yet. I like the book and really want to go on but I needed some pages to really get int..."

Great comments, Feli! I'm still one chapter behind your post, at the end of ch8, but I read your spoilers. I agree, I've been engaged so far, mostly curious, but not excited yet. Now that we're getting more to the meat of what's going on, I'm hoping that changes.

On ch7 and 8 (view spoiler)

Ch8 and 9 (view spoiler)

I am enjoying!

On your question, although I think The Ritual may hint at some of the Lovecraft theme, it really is different to this so far in almost every way.

message 20: by Terry (last edited Apr 08, 2018 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terry | 4930 comments Rachel wrote: "Terry wrote: "I started it and have read the first four chapters. [spoilers removed]" ..."

Yes! (view spoiler)

Nickronomicon | 158 comments I'm a little over halfway and this keeps getting more interesting to me. Has anyone made it to THAT PART yet? You'll know what I mean if you have...haha - my mouth was hanging open for a bit.

I also agree this novel isn't like The Ritual, but that book does take an abrupt turn that has divided some people's opinion of it. I loved it and thought it was great. It does have that similar creepy tone, which I have come to see as Nevill's style.

message 22: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Just started the second Part and I agree with you that it keeps getting more and more interesting.
But I guess I haven't reached THAT PART yet 😁

Nickronomicon | 158 comments But I guess I haven't reached THAT PART yet

Well, maybe I oversold it just a little bit. In chapter 11 (view spoiler)

I just started chapter 15 (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Chapter 9 was freaky AF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Feli (view spoiler)

message 26: by Rachel (last edited Apr 10, 2018 04:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments ok just got up to part 2.

i'm REALLY liking this book.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments chapter 11
(view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments chapter 12
i do not know why this chapter is titled "a second death", anyone got any ideas?

Terry | 4930 comments Rachel wrote: "Chapter 9 was freaky AF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm just getting to ch 10. You're right, ch9 is pretty crazy!

message 30: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Nickronomicon wrote: "But I guess I haven't reached THAT PART yet

Well, maybe I oversold it just a little bit. In chapter 11 [spoilers removed]"

Oh okay. Yes, I thought so too. But maybe it's not over yet...

Rachel wrote: "Feli [spoilers removed]"

Yes!!! Arrhg that was so disgusting, hahaha 🤣

I had to pause some days because the new term started and now I got ill and I just can't concentrate on anything (great start, right? -.-) so tomorrow I'll have a day off and hopefully get some reading done. I started 'Second death' but am only a few pages in. Not sure, but maybe it's called so (view spoiler).

Terry | 4930 comments Feli wrote: "Nickronomicon wrote: "But I guess I haven't reached THAT PART yet

Well, maybe I oversold it just a little bit. In chapter 11 [spoilers removed]"

Oh okay. Yes, I thought so too. But maybe it's not..."

That's no good, Feli! Hope you feel better soon. I'm on the slow read myself with this one as my work schedule has become very busy.

Nickronomicon | 158 comments I'm up to chapter 21 and it's taking an interesting turn (view spoiler)

As far as the "second death," I'm picking up a lot of phrases here and there that have a Biblical meaning. In the Bible the second death has to do with Hell and torment/punishment. But there's also been a few references to the "everlasting arms" which has to do with God and heaven. I'm interested to see how or why this might actually tie in.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments thanks for that insight, Nick!

I noticed in the end of chapter 13, (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments damn chapter 13 is honestly scaring me

(view spoiler)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 397 comments Argh-- I have been reading the most random things lately and yet I WANT to read THIS book, however I only own it via Kindle, and I only have a Kindle app on my computer, so unless I carry my entire laptop around with me, my Kindle books are often harder to read than a paperback that I can grab anytime, you know? I am hoping to hit this book this weekend, though. Love me some scares! --Jen from Quebec :0)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments chapter 16 (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments chapter 19

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Feli (last edited Apr 13, 2018 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Nickronomicon wrote: "I'm up to chapter 21 and it's taking an interesting turn [spoilers removed]

As far as the "second death," I'm picking up a lot of phrases here and there that have a Biblical meaning. In the Bible..."

Ah okay. Thank you for mentioning this. I had no idea. Once upon a time I had to take lessons in all this Bible stuff and I went to a religions school but I've never heard about it. I guess it's not what you teach children in the first place, hehe ^^
But I have to admit that I wasn't that attentive when it came to Bible hours..

Chapter 15 (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments in the middle of chapter 23
(view spoiler)

message 40: by Nickronomicon (last edited Apr 13, 2018 07:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nickronomicon | 158 comments in the middle of chapter 23(view spoiler)
Yep - me too. I just finished Part 2, and started Part 3 wow . . . If I can get enough time on my lunch break I'm going to try and finish this.

I also picked up some references to the Temple of the Last Days cult, which is from one of his other books Last Days (which is my favorite novel of his I've read so far) If you've enjoyed this book you'll like Last Days.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments I just got to the end of part 2 too, oh my GOD.

definitely going to finish this up today!!! i can't turn the pages fast enough!!!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments oh god I had to finish.. wow!

cant wait to hear everyone's thoughts.

message 43: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Rachel wrote: "chapter 16 [spoilers removed]"
I liked this chapter very much. It was really good and I am definitely more worried for both of them now!

Nickronomicon | 158 comments I just finished it as well - great book! I also enjoyed the last paragraph of the acknowledgements . . .

I'm still not quite sure how (view spoiler)

message 45: by Feli (last edited Apr 16, 2018 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Rachel wrote: "in the middle of chapter 23
[spoilers removed]"

yes, that one was quite obvious after they entered the building.

I finished today and although I think it was a good book, it wasn't really scary for me and I think I didn't quite enjoy it as much as others did. Overall I liked it but I couldn't read too much of it in a day and there were parts of it I actually just wanted to end...

I will give Last Days a try later this year because I am curious how it relates to this book. There seem to be quite a few references, as Nickronomicon said above.

Terry | 4930 comments I'm so behind you guys, but I'm still reading along. I just got to ch18, and now we know about the chapter names. (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1760 comments Terry wrote: "I'm so behind you guys, but I'm still reading along. I just got to ch18, and now we know about the chapter names. [spoilers removed]"

Great observation Terry!!

message 48: by Terry (last edited Apr 23, 2018 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terry | 4930 comments Well, I'm a week behind, but I did end up finishing yesterday. To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the way it ended. (view spoiler)

message 49: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 513 comments Great that you have finished, Terry!
I see your points and agree with you. For me, the ending wasn't that disappointing, because I really was glad to have it finished at that point no matter what the ending would look like 😂
But your questions are interesting, haven't thought about (view spoiler).

Terry | 4930 comments Feli wrote: "Great that you have finished, Terry!
I see your points and agree with you. For me, the ending wasn't that disappointing, because I really was glad to have it finished at that point no matter what t..."

Thanks, Feli! I get what you're saying, too. I was plenty ready to be done, myself.