Aussie Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > A&U Giveaways - April

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 62 comments Hi Aussie Readers,

Here's another round of book giveaways for you - hope you found something of interest first time around and hope there's many more here that take your fancy:

Bluebottle - With sea-salt authenticity, Belinda Castles sets the Bright family in the sprawling paradise of Bilgola Beach. But darkness is found both in the iconic setting as well as in the disturbing behaviour of one of the family. Gripping and evocative, Bluebottle is a story of a family bound by an inescapable past, from the award-winning author of The River Baptists and Hannah and Emil.

Eggshell Skull - Bri Lee's debut book is a fiercely intelligent, heartbreakingly honest memoir and feminist call to arms in the tradition of Fight Like A Girl. Tackling the legal industry from within, this is a haunting appraisal of modern Australia from a new and essential voice.

Into the Night - Riveting suspense, incisive writing and a fascinating cast of characters make this an utterly addictive crime thriller and a stunning follow-up to The Dark Lake from Sarah Bailey as troubled and brilliant Detective Sergeant Gemma Woodstock finds herself lost and alone in the city, broken-hearted by the decisions she's had to make.

The Kiss Quotient - a heartwarming and refreshing debut novel from Helen Hoang that proves one thing: there's not enough data in the world to predict what will make your heart tick.

We See the Stars - a haunting and deeply moving novel from Kate van Hooft with a brilliant voice in the tradition of The Eye of the Sheep and Jasper Jones. Simon is an eleven-year old boy who lives in a world of silence, lists and numbers. He hasn't spoken for years and he doesn't know why. But when his teacher goes missing, he knows he's the only one who can save her.

Lovesome - from the award winning musician Sally Seltmann comes her tender, funny and romantic debut Lovesome, an offbeat and beguiling story of finding your own happiness.

You can learn more about these books, and request one or many of them, over on our website:
www.allenandunwin.com/aussie-readers

Let us know if you're excited by any of these, and good luck - enjoy the extra long weekend of reading ahead!

message 2: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7784 comments I'm really looking forward to Into the Night. Loved The Dark Lake!

message 3: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 7990 comments Carolyn wrote: "I'm really looking forward to Into the Night. Loved The Dark Lake!"

Ditto, Carolyn!

message 4: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments They all appeal. Eggshell skull is not my usual genre but I am expanding my reading. This is my goal over the next few months.

message 5: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 29, 2018 04:08PM) (new)

Carolyn | 7784 comments Marianne wrote: "Carolyn wrote: "I'm really looking forward to Into the Night. Loved The Dark Lake!"

Ditto, Carolyn!"

Have requested it. Also We See the Stars which sounds great. Thanks for the opportunity A&U - great idea!

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68402 comments Mod
Thanks so much once again :) I've requested We See the Stars and Into the Night (though I haven't read The Dark Lake yet as I wasn't able to get a copy)

message 7: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Houllis | 32 comments are these paperback gives away or e-book

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Paperbacks Stacey 😊

message 9: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Houllis | 32 comments how do I join

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Click on the link A&U provided, scroll to the bottom and follow the prompts 😊

message 11: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Houllis | 32 comments done I think not sure if i did it right

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'm sure you did Stacey :)

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Houllis | 32 comments Wasn't sure about what put on the goodreads question. I will let you know how I go

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Williams | 15 comments I'm so looking forward to reading Into the Night, I really enjoyed The Dark Lake. I'm also keen to read We See the Stars and Bluebottle. :-)

message 15: by Deb (new)

Deb | 198 comments We See the Stars looks good to me.

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna | 38 comments They all sound great. I can't wait to start reading them all. Bluebottle sounds like it is one you can't put down and I have been wanting to read Sarah Bailey's last book so now I have two of hers to read. Thank you A&U for always providing us with great reads.

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 235 comments we see the stars looks good.

message 18: by Natty (new)

Natty (booknerdnatty) | 326 comments Interest has been peaked with Bluebottle and We see the stars..

message 19: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 7990 comments Yes. some great reads there, I reckon!

message 20: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 389 comments Thanks Into the Night is the one that catches my eye as well. Loved her first book.

message 21: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 2233 comments Love family sagas, especially if there is something dark in the mix.
Bluebottle sounds intriguing.

message 22: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5284 comments I've gone for Bluebottle as I have enjoyed some others by this author

message 23: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5284 comments As well as Bluebottle I also added We See the Stars

message 24: by Mani (new)

Mani (manpreet) Just wanted to say thanks!! I entered the giveaway for March and just got 3 books in the mail. #excited

Hard to pick which one to start with..but I think I'm going to start on
Little Gods by Jenny Ackland tonight.

The other two books that I received are:
The Jade Lily by Kirsty Manning
Lovesome by Sally Seltmann

The April collection also looks awesome :)

message 25: by Bear (new)

Bear Reads Books (bearreadsbooks) | 6 comments These look amazing. I have added Bluebottle and Eggshell Skull

message 26: by Deb (new)

Deb | 198 comments How good of A&U to give us this opportunity to get into some fabulous looking reads! Shame the housework won't get done. Haha

message 27: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5284 comments My review of one of the A&U March books Eleanor's Secret by Caroline Beecham which was sent to me is now up here
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 28: by Deb (new)

Deb | 198 comments I was lucky to get a copy of Girls at the Piano (March A&U giveaway). Finished the book last night. It is one of those books that leaves you with a lot to think about. Not only is it a memoir of two women who play the piano, but if full of interesting facts about the piano and the women who played in the past.

My mother played the piano almost all her life, but never once tried to teach me. That has always been a puzzle to me. After reading this book, I had a bit of an insight as to what might have gone through her head.

If you play the piano or have ever tried to learn, you may want to put this book on your TBR list.

message 29: by Allen and Unwin (new)

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 62 comments Thanks for all your interest in these books, and your comments on those you've read already - lovely to see!

A different giveaway for you which might be of interest, before we get our next batch of books up for grabs in May, we've got signed copies of our latest Vogel's Award winner The Yellow House available - enter here, where you'll also be able to read the opening chapters.

message 30: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks A&U - I have just entered. It sounds really interesting :)

message 31: by Veronica ⭐️ (new)

Veronica ⭐️ | 2233 comments I thought both contenders for the Vogel’s Award were very good but The Yellow House grabbed me right from the start.

message 32: by Natty (new)

Natty (booknerdnatty) | 326 comments The Yellow house sounds awesome..I've entered too, broadening my reading horizons little by little... currently getting into Little Gods by Jenny Ackland and loving it..

message 33: by Donna (new)

Donna | 38 comments So many great books, so little time. But still I can always find time to read. :)

message 34: by Noelene (new)

Noelene | 364 comments Just finished The Jade Lily which was sent to me. Loved it. Previously read Little Gods. Both were excellent reads. I realized now that I am looking at the publishers more and more and including that in my decision making when choosing books! Never done that before.

message 35: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1802 comments I figured out how to enter! Thank you for the above link, I was going through the general site .

message 36: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3092 comments I entered - thanks. Just looks great.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I entered

message 38: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5284 comments received today through this giveaway from Allen&Unwin Bluebottle by Belinda Castles
and
We See the Stars by Kate van Hooft
Looking forward to reading them

message 39: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 7784 comments Thank you Allen & Unwin for ARCs received today of We See the Stars by Kate van Hooft and Into the Night by Sarah Bailey. Really looking forward to reading both of them :)

message 40: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I also thank A&U for We See the Stars :)

message 41: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 235 comments Deborah what is the link I may have been missing something as I haven't been winning any books.

message 42: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

The link is always in the first post Jo.

message 43: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 235 comments thanks Brenda that's what I did to enter.

message 44: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You should be in with a chance then Jo :)

message 45: by Allen and Unwin (new)

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 62 comments Jo wrote: "Deborah what is the link I may have been missing something as I haven't been winning any books."

Hi Jo (and everyone who requested books this month), there was a bit of a delay in getting these out so hopefully should be with you soon.

message 46: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks A&U :)

message 47: by Bear (new)

Bear Reads Books (bearreadsbooks) | 6 comments My 2 books from A&U arrived yesterday. Can't wait to read and review. Thanks A&U!

message 48: by Donna (new)

Donna | 38 comments Exciting. I hope I get the ones I requested as am keen to get reading. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.