RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2018 Genre Challenges > April'18: Young Adult OR Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2136 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

April is here(!) and so is one of the Alternate Genre months. For this month we have two genre options to choose from as there are few readers for each of these genres as compared to the other more popular ones, hence the choice. Please pick one genre and announce in the comments below or if you really want to, then feel free to pick both and read two genres for this month! It's completely your choice.

Here are the DEFINITIONS for this month's genres:

Young Adult Young-adult fiction (often abbreviated as YA) is fiction written for, published for, or marketed to adolescents and young adults, roughly ages 13 to 18.
Young-adult fiction, whether in the form of novels or short stories, has distinct attributes that distinguish it from the other age categories of fiction. The vast majority of YA stories portray an adolescent as the protagonist, rather than an adult or a child. The subject matter and story lines are typically consistent with the age and experience of the main character, but beyond that YA stories span the entire spectrum of fiction genres. The settings of YA stories are limited only by the imagination and skill of the author.
Themes in YA stories often focus on the challenges of youth, so much so that the entire age category is sometimes referred to as problem novels or coming of age novel. Writing styles of YA stories range widely, from the richness of literary style to the clarity and speed of the unobtrusive. Despite its unique characteristics, YA shares the fundamental elements of fiction with other stories: character, plot, setting, theme, and style.

Graphic Novels: A graphic novel is a narrative work in which the story is conveyed to the reader using sequential art in either an experimental design or in a traditional comics format. The term is employed in a broad manner, encompassing non-fiction works and thematically linked short stories as well as fictional stories across a number of genres.
Please Note: For Graphic Novels, you can go for any genre, all that matters is that it should be a graphic novel. And even illustrated novels here are counted as Graphic Novels.

-->>Please Note: There are absolutely no limits so you can interpret this genre in its broader sense and include other similar genres and/or subgenres that you feel might have a wee bit of similarity with the main genre. You can also include books that are not particularly centered around the main genre but has its components or elements somewhere in the story.

Here's a quick summary of the levels:

Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please mention what type of books you'd be reading:

PB: Paperbacks
HB: Hardback
EB: E-Books
AB: Audio Books

Please feel free to announce your to-read books along with the level you are targeting for below.

PLEASE READ (for new members):
1. You can read any number of books for the respective genre each month in one particular month.
2. Take your time and go through your entire TBR-list before deciding the books to read.
3. You can join the challenge at any stage (in any month.)
4. You can drop out of the challenge any time you like.
5. You can select different levels every month.
6. Use this discussion board to share your reads with other members of the group.
7. Please be active and don't hesitate to ask questions or recommend books.

Note: The main intent of this challenge is to incorporate different kinds of books and genres in our normal reading routine to make the experience more fun and entertaining. Please do not lose yourself in the technicalities as we all know how literary genres can be confusing.

If you have any doubts or questions, then post them below and we'll be happy to answer/discuss them.
Happy reading!

message 2: by Aayush Kamath (new)

Aayush Kamath | 16 comments The hunger games series can be counted as YA novels, right? Because that is what i am currently reading.

message 3: by Heena (new)

Aayush Kamath wrote: "The hunger games series can be counted as YA novels, right? Because that is what i am currently reading."

Yes, Hunger Games series is YA, but you need to read this series in April to count it for that month. If you've only just started, then it can be counted as well as the month is almost here.

Happy Reading!!

message 4: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) I can't wait for April to come because YA is about all that I read XD
I'm gonna go all out in this month!

message 5: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3198 comments Mod
Charvi wrote: "I can't wait for April to come because YA is about all that I read XD
I'm gonna go all out in this month!"

Looks like a big month for you, Charvi! Go for it.

message 6: by Dagny (last edited Mar 29, 2018 08:07AM) (new)

I checked out an interesting-looking book from the library a couple of days ago:
Double Take

And I have Everything, Everything on hold for our Buddy Read. Should get it sometime next month.

message 7: by Cheryl (last edited Mar 29, 2018 09:28AM) (new)

Cheryl | 1907 comments Mod
I have some YA books I'll be reading for this challenge:

- Have Space Suit - will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein. I'm also reading this for a group read at Adelaide's Goodreads group, Classic Trash. (Link to group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...)
- Izzy Willy-Nilly by Cynthia Voigt, and Little & Lion by Brandy Colbert
These 2 books will also fit the Bonus Challenge for April: Disability as a Theme. (Link to Bonus Challenge: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... )

I'll also be reading some graphic novels.

message 8: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 362 comments So, I am embarrassed to tell you have big my comics backlog is, so I'm not going to. Needless to say, I am going to try to to bust a big hole in it. (I worked in a comic store for 10 years and have been a life-long comics reader. I am waaaaaaaaay behind on my reading list.)

message 9: by Heena (new)

I've been waiting for this month quite eagerly! I'm not a huge fan of YA, but I really like this genre as it serves as a brilliant break from other genres I read throughout the year (mostly thrillers.)
I have the following YA books that I want to read this month:
1. Dragon God - AB
2. Looking for Dei - EB
3. The Bone Witch - EB
4. Everything, Everything - PB

Graphic novels are one of my favorites and I'm going to use my 'auto-approved' status for Udon Entertainment, to read all their available Manga Classics. Some of the GNs I'm going to read this month are:
1. Manga Classics: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
2. Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet
3. Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo
4. Manga Classics: Les Misérables
5. Manga Classics: The Jungle Book
6. The Lost Path
7. Little Moments of Love

All EB - PDFs

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Adelaide wrote: "So, I am embarrassed to tell you have big my comics backlog is, so I'm not going to. Needless to say, I am going to try to to bust a big hole in it. (I worked in a comic store for 10 years and have..."

Next month should help you out, Adelaide!

message 11: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "...will also fit the Bonus Challenge for April: Disability as a Theme."

Glad you mentioned that, Cheryl. The Buddy Read of Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon
will also fit the April Bonus Challenge.

message 12: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "3. Manga Classics: The Count of Monte Cristo"

Oh, Heena, you are going to read this soooo much faster than I read the book which was over 1,000 pages. Great story!

message 13: by Heena (last edited Mar 30, 2018 04:04AM) (new)

Dagny wrote: "Oh, Heena, you are going to read this soooo much faster than I read the book which was over 1,000 pages. Great story!"

1000 pages long!? I'm very glad now that I have the manga one otherwise it would have been a very lengthy read.

message 14: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) I'm going to go for Level 5 Bookiopath this time! Here's my TBR-

1. The Weekend Bucketlist
2. Raffety Lincoln Loves...
3. Dear Martin
4. Eliza and her Monsters
5. A Court of Thorns and Roses

All of these will be e-books and if I read any YA books other than these I'll keep you all updated here :)

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I have some YA books I'll be reading for this challenge:
Izzy Willy-Nilly by Cynthia Voigt, and Little & Lion by Brandy Colbert
These 2 books will also fit the Bonus Challenge for April: Disability as a Theme."

Well, I won't be reading these 2 books after all. I tried, but I just couldn't get into them. I seem to do better with the Fantasy/SF genre in YA, so I will look for more of those type of books.

message 16: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 362 comments Cheryl wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "I have some YA books I'll be reading for this challenge:
Izzy Willy-Nilly by Cynthia Voigt, and Little & Lion by Brandy Colbert
These 2 books will also fit the Bonus Challenge for Ap..."

Have you read The Thief? It is the first in a series, but can absolutely be read on its own. Short and VERY good.

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Adelaide,

No, I haven't read The Thief. I'll see if my library system has it. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Yay! The library nearest to my house has it. I can pick it up tomorrow.

message 19: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) 1. Turtles All the Way Down 3/5

This was okayish. Not bad but not really good either

message 20: by Heena (new)

1. Dragon God - 1/5 - DNF

A huge disappointment. The story was kind of Game Of Thrones in Harry Potter universe with elements of LOTR - imagine the main cast of GOT going to Hogwarts and meeting dragons there along with characters in LOTR.
The narration of the audiobook felt outright weird as it was done poorly.
Honestly, I am really, really disappointed as I was really looking forward to reading it :(

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

The more I do this challenge, the more I'm convinced that I shouldn't make a reading list for it ahead of time. Both last month and this month, the books I thought I'd like turned out to be not that interesting to me.

I find I really have to be in the right mood for certain books. Sometimes I even need to read a book of a different genre in between to keep the monthly genre fresh.

I do like YA, but I think I'll focus on graphic novels for a bit before trying more YA. Like the saying goes, "it's not you, it's me."

message 22: by Dagny (new)

I'm over half done with Double Take by Melody Carlson which I grabbed at the library last week. It's a very fun read. The two girls are around 18 or so. Imagine a spoiled rich girl from NYC swapping places for a week with an Amish girl. Need I say there is a lot of chuckling involved while reading it, especially since no one is supposed to know.

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

1.) Have Space Suit-Will Travel by Robert. A. Heinlein (YA)

This was written in 1958, but it still was alot of fun to read. Action-packed SF, with plenty of humor and great characters.

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

2.) Through the Woods by Emily Carrol (graphic novel)

2 stars. A collection of 5 scary stories. I didn't think they were particularly scary, but the artwork was ok.

message 25: by Charvi (new)

Charvi (notjustfiction) 2) Eliza and Her Monsters 5/5

this book was everything that I dreamed of and much more and I'm just frozen over right now

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

3.) Picture Me Gone by Meg Rosoff (YA)

3 stars. A bit of a mystery novel, as a teen and her dad fly from London to New York to search for his missing friend. Emphasis is on the characters' relationships, rather than being a fast-paced thriller. It was a bit slow in the middle, but held my interest to the end.

message 27: by Cheryl (last edited Apr 05, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

4.) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (YA)

2 stars. I didn't think the writing was that good. The whole story seems to exist only for the twist at the end. I'm getting tired of "twists".

message 28: by Dagny (new)

1. Double Take by Melody Carlson
4 stars, a charming, fun read which takes place over a one week period in the lives of two young women. Bogged down just a bit a couple of times, but not for very long.

2. Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

message 29: by Spandana (new)

Spandana Rao (aprilserendipity) | 6 comments Hey, everyone, here's my TBR list for April. sorry for the delay.

1) the hunger games trilogy(already into the second book)
2) to kill a mockingbird
3) looking for Alaska
4) Papertowns

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Spandana wrote: "Hey, everyone, here's my TBR list for April. sorry for the delay."

Spandana,

You have a very ambitious reading list! Please feel free to tell us what you thought of these books. You can tell us the star rating, or give a short review of them.

message 31: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 362 comments I am trying to read a ton of things this months, so I am reporting in batches.

YA:
Have Space Suit—Will Travel - 3/5 solid teen space adventure from 1958.

Graphic Novels:
The Murder of Abraham Lincoln - 4/5 Part of Rick Geary's Treasury of Victorian Murder

Millennium - 3/5 Based on the old Fox TV show. Crossover with the X-Files.

Paper Girls, Vol. 1 and Paper Girls, Vol. 2 - 4/5 REALLY GOOD!

The Damned, Vol. 1: Three Days Dead - 4/5 Pretty Good story with prohibition era mobsters and demons.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Adelaide wrote: "I am trying to read a ton of things this months, so I am reporting in batches."

I have Paper Girls, Vol. 1 on hold at my library. So many people have said that this is good.

message 33: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 362 comments Cheryl wrote: "Adelaide wrote: "I am trying to read a ton of things this months, so I am reporting in batches."

I have Paper Girls, Vol. 1 on hold at my library. So many people have said that this is good."

Super fun. Not what I thought it was going to be, but better.

message 34: by Cheryl (last edited Apr 07, 2018 09:18PM) (new)

5.) I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios (YA)

3 stars. Sometimes sad, but well-written. This also counts for the April Bonus Challenge, since one of the 2 main characters is a young Marine who was disabled in Afghanistan.

message 35: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments Paper Girls, Vol. 2

It's by the same author as the Saga, Vol. 1 series (which you should definitely check out).
Paper Girls contains the following:
~Adolescent young ladies on adventures
~Time Travel
~Two morally ambiguous groups who are both trying to capture the four young ladies
~Giant Tarygrades!

The volumes are short so it's difficult to predict where the volumes are going but the series is interesting thus far.

message 36: by Heena (new)

B. R. wrote: "Paper Girls, Vol. 2
It's by the same author as the Saga, Vol. 1 series (which you should definitely check out).
~Adolescent you..."

Wow, Julia, it sounds really unique and amazing! I'm adding it to my tbr list. Thanks for the rec! :)

message 37: by Heena (new)

I'm starting my 5th for the month, but before that, I'll quickly update the ones I'm done with:

2. The Lost Path - 2/5 - The illustrations were really good but the story overall turned out to be a let down. The concept felt underdeveloped and I wasn't even sure where the story was headed exactly after only 20 pages.

3. Little Moments of Love - 5/5 - I've always loved illustrations by Catana (or memes to be exact.) They are the perfect comics describing a relationship between two people who really love one another. Catana's characters are so adorable and the comics overall was very good and nicely developed.

4. Everything, Everything - 4/5 - It started out okay for me, but really picked up towards the end. I'm giving an extra star for the author blowing away my mind with the one, (and the only, twist in the book. I'm glad that I read it.

message 38: by Cheryl (new)

6.) Paper Girls, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (Graphic Novel)

4 stars. The story is science fiction, with some kick-ass 12 year old girls as the main characters. I really liked this one.

message 39: by Cheryl (new)

7.) Outcast, Vol. 1: A Darkness Surrounds Him by Robert Kirkman (Graphic Novel)

2 stars. A good idea, poorly executed.

message 40: by Dagny (new)

I've been reading some of Kathy Reich's Temperance Brennan books and enjoying them. Just found she has a YA series (looks like it is also supernatural. I plan to pick up the first book at the library tomorrow. Virals

message 41: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments Cheryl wrote: "6.) Paper Girls, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan (Graphic Novel)

4 stars. The story is science fiction, with some kick-ass 12 year old girls as the main characters. I really liked this ..."

Yay! Glad you liked it :)

message 42: by B. R. Kyle (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments Heena wrote: "B. R. wrote: "Paper Girls, Vol. 2
~A..."

You're welcome :)

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) 1. I've just finished A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle for the YA challenge. I'm probably one of the few who hasn't read it already by age 65! Looking forward to seeing the movie now. I gave it 4/5.

message 44: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Ok joining in a little late so I will go for just one this month

Going with graphic novel

Pride & Prejudice. It’s a reread but I love it and haven’t read it for years.

message 45: by Dagny (new)

Donna wrote: "1. I've just finished A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle for the YA challenge. I'm probably one of the few who hasn't read it already by age 65! Looking forward to seeing the mo..."

Donna, I have never read it either! I wonder if I'm now all alone in the oldster category.

Donna (weegraydog) (weegraydog) Dagny wrote: "Donna wrote: "1. I've just finished A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle for the YA challenge. I'm probably one of the few who hasn't read it already by age 65! Looking forward to..."

Lol, I thought I was the only one! If I have time this month, I'll try for more in the series.

message 47: by Dagny (new)

3. The Amish Bride by Mindy Starns Clark and Leslie Gould

This one features a young woman who is thrown for a loop when she finds out the identity of her father - and also a bit of a mystery as she tries to investigate something from her grandmother's past.

message 48: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 362 comments Ok, I've been reading some Harry Potter adjacent stuff this month that has been a lot of fun.

YA
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell 5/5 - super fun story based on a fictional book mentioned in another book of hers. Very meta.

Graphic Novels
The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity - The Unwritten, Vol. 11: Apocalypse (+ The Unwritten: Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice) - entire series 4/5. About the magic of story.

message 49: by Cheryl (last edited Apr 17, 2018 05:57PM) (new)

8.) Lady Killer, Volume 1 by Joelle Jones. (Graphic Novel)
4 stars. Great story and great art work. An early 1960s housewife with a secret life as a killer-for-hire. The ilustrations have a real retro look.

message 50: by Spandana (new)

Spandana Rao (aprilserendipity) | 6 comments I finished the Hunger Games series about a week ago, and found it to be amazing. I must admit that I still haven't gotten rid of the hangover yet, and it's really that good.
The first book was probably my favourite, but I like catching fire and Mockingjay too. If you're looking forward to read an addictive series that also has a huge fandom, then this is the YA series for you. Katniss and Peeta might be sixteen-year-olds in the beginning of the series, but their roles are portrayed intelligently and are the fictional characters you would fall in love with.
I won't give out any spoilers, because I would hate it too. If anyone is reading this series, I don't think you'll be disappointed. At least, because I'm saying this as an young adult myself. Enjoy Young Adult month everyone.

Rating for The Hunger Games series- 5/5

« previous 1