The History Book Club discussion

ENTREPRENEURS/LEADERS/COMPANIES > LARGE CORPORATIONS, MULTINATIONALS AND FORTUNE 500 COMPANIES

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (last edited Mar 28, 2018 08:43PM) (new)

Bentley | 44207 comments Mod
This thread focuses on large corporations, multi-nationals and Fortune 500 Companies.

This thread will also focus on global giants and billionaire clans like the Rockefellers, the Walmarts, the Waltons, the Mars family, Cargill-Macmillian family, Cox family, SC Johnson, Edward Johnson, Hearst family, Duncan and Newhous families, the Duponts, Hunts, Busch, Mellons, etc.

message 2: by Douglass, HBC Admin/TL - Economics/Finance (new)

Douglass Gaking | 550 comments Mod
Sons of Wichita: How the Koch Brothers Became America's Most Powerful and Private Dynasty

Sons of Wichita How the Koch Brothers Became America's Most Powerful and Private Dynasty by Daniel Schulman by Daniel Schulman (no photo)

Synopsis:

The Koch family has tried for decades to keep itself out of the spotlight while building the 2nd largest private company in America. However, as this biography explains, they haven't done the best job of it.

Daniel Schulman details the Koch brothers' lifetime of conflict with business competitors, political opponents, their companies' shareholders and employees, and each other. Schulman mostly tells the stories and avoids making judgments, although he writes with a skeptical tone when he discusses the Kochs' interest in Austrian school economics and market-based management.

The Kochs are probably the most influential family in America that you don't know anything about, so this thorough investigation of their businesses, family, charity work, and political action is well worth reading.

message 3: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Not my favorites but money does buy power and influence for sure.

message 4: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 255 comments Douglass wrote: "Sons of Wichita: How the Koch Brothers Became America's Most Powerful and Private Dynasty
[bookcover:Sons of Wichita: How the Koch Brothers Became America's Most Powerful and Private Dynasty|19906..."

Coincidentally, I added this book to my tbr list today and I expect it to be interesting.

message 5: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Eileen, I am sure that Douglass will be delighted that you are taking an interest in this wonderful group of threads.

message 6: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 255 comments Thanks, Bentley!

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen | 255 comments In the news - the rise and decline of Sears. I am interested in upcoming books on this iconic American retailer.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-on...

message 8: by Bentley, Group Founder, Leader, Chief (new)

Very good Eileen

The only thing that I would add to your post is the Source:

Source: The Wall Street Journal