The American Civil War discussion

General Discussion > Travel help needed

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad | 23 comments ALL: I am in need of whatever advice the group can give. I have a trip upcoming to Richmond VA. I've never been there, and will only have a day, perhaps parts of two, to explore the area. Any advice on hotels (needs to be near the Flying Squirrels stadium if possible), can't miss food, museums, etc. I hope to be able to have some drive time for the nearby battlefields, but that will depend upon weather and son's baseball schedule. I appreciate any advice!!

message 2: by Manray9 (last edited Mar 28, 2018 07:48PM) (new)

Manray9 | 455 comments Chad wrote: "ALL: I am in need of whatever advice the group can give. I have a trip upcoming to Richmond VA. I've never been there, and will only have a day, perhaps parts of two, to explore the area. Any advic..."

My "must sees" in Richmond: The Confederate White House and the Museum of the Confederacy are co-located in downtown Richmond on East Clay Street (jointly they may be called the American Civil War Museum now). At the Tredegar Iron Works in downtown Richmond is the Richmond Battlefield Visitors Center. Short distances from downtown are the battlefields at Cold Harbor and Malvern Hill -- both have Visitors' Centers. Most of the Seven Days battlefields have small preserved areas with signage. You can drive around them all in one afternoon. Get the map provided at the Richmond Battlefield Visitors Center. If you get an extra few minutes, just a few minutes south of downtown off I-95 is Drewry's Bluff. There's a small park and just a quick glimpse shows why the U.S. Navy couldn't get to Richmond until 1865.

https://www.nps.gov/rich/index.htm

https://acwm.org/

message 3: by Chad (new)

Chad | 23 comments Thanks, M9... I am planning on hitting the ACWM, (wife is already whining). Hopefully we'll have time to hop down to Petersburg on one day, do the ACWM and drive around on another, catch his game on the third day, and fly out after that. Any knowledge on good bookstores in the area?

message 4: by Manray9 (last edited Mar 28, 2018 08:04PM) (new)

Manray9 | 455 comments Chad wrote: "Thanks, M9... I am planning on hitting the ACWM, (wife is already whining). Hopefully we'll have time to hop down to Petersburg on one day, do the ACWM and drive around on another, catch his game o..."

No. I haven't lived in Virginia in a few years. The Confederate WH is the finest restoration of a mid-Victorian home I've seen.

message 5: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Woods (maryellen_woods) | 6 comments Don't know if you have already taken the trip yet but other than those already mentioned (did a summer institute at the ACWM back when it was still the MoC which was incredible especially the flag vault!) but I'd recommend John Marshall's home.