2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Dean's 30 Books for 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dean (new)

Dean I have been an avid book collector since i was 10. The only problem is that I've barely read any of them. I've sunk way too much money into this collection of classics, both old and new, and yet they just lay there on the shelf unread.

No more shall my books go unread. This year, I'm actually going to read them and it's going to be totally different compared to all those other years I've said this, I promise...

I chose a nice round number of 30 books for the year, close enough to 12 days per book. Trying to juggle work and reading in addition to a prior history of laziness is going to be a challenge, but that's what makes it fun.

I started late in the year and have a backlog of books that I have currently read so the updates are going to come in thick and fast.

message 2: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Well Dean I have to say I have enjoyed reading your introduction on your collection. That being said I wish you the best of luck with your 30 books.

message 3: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Dean wrote: "No more shall my books go unread. This year, I'm actually going to read them and it's going to be totally different compared to all those other years I've said this, I promise...."

Lol, will keep an eye out for your updates... ;-)

Wishing you the best of luck with your goal(s) but above all happy reading!!

message 4: by Dean (new)

Dean Book 1
Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
Date Started = 13/2/2018
Date Finished = 19/2/2018

My first book of 2018 was definitely a strong start. Detailing the gradual rise of Nike from the perspective of its founder, Phil Knight, you easily begin to see the human side to such a massive behemoth of a company. From the many in-house innovations such as Nike Air and a plethora of improvements to modern sole design, you can see the passion that Phil has for his product seep through the pages.

The bitter legal disputes with Tiger Shoes (now ASICS), the issues with child labour and much more are illuminated with great depth and widen your field of view on some seemingly shady practices.

Never again will I see Nike as just another major sports company. I'll see them as a team of nobodys, nerds and accountants who found a way to take on the German mega brands and win.

Easily a must read for anyone interested in business or just Nike in general.

message 5: by Dean (new)

Dean Susy wrote: "Dean wrote: "No more shall my books go unread. This year, I'm actually going to read them and it's going to be totally different compared to all those other years I've said this, I promise...."

Lo..."

Thanks for the wishes and yes, for once there actually will be updates haha

message 6: by Dean (new)

Dean Blagica wrote: "Well Dean I have to say I have enjoyed reading your introduction on your collection. That being said I wish you the best of luck with your 30 books."

Thanks for the encouragement :)

message 7: by Dean (new)

Dean Book 2
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Date Started = 20/2/2018
Date Finished = 23/2/2018

Honestly, this might be one of the most read books in history so I don't think you need to read this in order to know that this is indeed a pretty damn good book.

message 8: by Dean (new)

Dean Book 3
Kill Shot by Vince Flynn
Date Started = 24/2/2018
Date Finished = 27/2/2018

A fantastic spy thriller where everything goes wrong. The levels of intensity barely wane, you develop serious amounts of hatred for a few key people and you become so emotionally invested in the characters the sweat from your hands will begin to smudge the ink on the pages.

There are too many original and genius plot points to even refer to, just take me at my word, all the payoff makes this book a must read for someone interested in thriller/spy/action novels.

message 9: by Dean (new)

Dean Book 4
Wiseguy by Nicholas Pileggi
Date Started = 1/3/2018
Date Finished = 4/3/2018

Personally, I believe Goodfellas to be the best movie ever made. The pacing, the characters, the story, the themes, all are perfect. Little did I know that Martin Scorsese essentially took Wiseguy and made a straight adaption from the book.

So little was changed between the novel and the film that all I can say is that by deduction, if Goodfellas is the best movie ever made, this might just be the best non-fiction book ever written too.

There is so much to love with this book. The rise and fall of your traditional Italian-American mobster from teenage years to his late 30's. He lives the good life, commits unbelievable crimes and always gets away with it.

Seeing the innermost secrets of one of the most mysterious organisations becomes addictive. You crave to see more depravity, corruption and greed. Just when you think it's all too good to be true...

I'll leave it to you to read the book. A perfect book.

message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads.

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May!

message 12: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments “I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library.” I hope you find a corner in Paradise with some great books!!