The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Genre Challenge 2018 > April Genre - Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 3703 comments Mod
I can't believe that it is almost April, and spring is no longer a fantasy here. It has really arrived--finally.

Our genre of the month is fantasy. Happy reading everyone.

message 2: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I'm happy for you that spring has arrived! Still waiting for it here. We had snow today, and were only expecting rain.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

We still don't have any flowers, but the leaves are now visible in the ground. The grass is still brown, though.

message 4: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Brown grass... yes, we have a lot of that too. Just starting to see tinges of green. Definitely no flowers yet.

message 5: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 768 comments Sorry if this is a stupid question. Is Penric's Demon a suitable choice? Looking at book lists, I’m not sure of the difference between fantasy, science fiction & dystopia - this group has them as a single bookshelf, but separate in the monthly themes. I rarely read anything of this sort & would appreciate some recommendations.

message 6: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

It is definitely fantasy, according to the description and goodreads. If you look up the indivual book, Fantasy is the first category for Penric.
Enjoy the book!

message 7: by Stella (last edited Mar 30, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

Stella (stellarreads) | 46 comments I am more in a sci-fi mood, but I do have quite a few fantasy novels I wanna get to soon. This month I'll try to finish up the Raven Cycle series since I only have the last book, The Raven King, still to finish (I consider it magical realism and not fantasy, but many people count it as fantasy?)...
I also have A Court of Mist and Fury, a series I wasn't really planning on continuing but found the book for really cheap in a charity shop so now I kinda have to haha..
And I also want to storm through an entire trilogy: Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen by Garth Nix.

At least that's the plan for now. I am a huge mood reader though, so I'm not promising anything.
Happy reading everyone!

message 8: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 768 comments Rosemarie wrote: "It is definitely fantasy, according to the description and goodreads. If you look up the indivual book, Fantasy is the first category for Penric.
Enjoy the book!"

Thank you, Rosemarie, I’ll try that one first. Thanks to Stella too - I’ll look at your suggestions for more ideas.

message 9: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1510 comments Mod
Stella, Sabriel Lyrel and Abhorsen are GREAT!!!!!! I really hope you get to them!

message 10: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 131 comments I haven't finished my March read yet, but am also working on my April read. I'm going to cheat (a little!) and use one that I have started already. The book is about 950 pages long, so it's going to be a challenge for me to finish in April. It is "Assassin's Fate" by Robin Hobb, my favorite fantasy author. This is the last book set in her Realms of the Elderlings world.

message 11: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I hope you get a chance to finish this month. With a 950 page novel, it isn't cheating, it's good planning.

message 12: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Apr 01, 2018 12:53PM) (new)

Renee M | 4709 comments Mod
Guilty! Technically I started this at the end of March, but the protagonist is a wizard/detective which could have gone toward either month. I really enjoyed it so I want to work my way through the series. I guess I’ve got my April reads sewn up. :). Storm Front

message 13: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Badlydone wrote: "The book is about 950 pages long, so it's going to be a challenge for me to finish in April. It is "Assassin's Fate" by Robin Hobb, my favorite fantasy author..."

I hope you enjoy Assassin's Fate, Badlydone. I read it a couple months ago and lost sleep over it. 950 pages somehow didn't seem so long!

Renee wrote: "Guilty! Technically I started this at the end of March, but the protagonist is a wizard/detective which could have gone toward either month. I really enjoyed it so I want to work my way through the..."

That was good planning, Renee!

message 14: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 797 comments Renee wrote: "Guilty! Technically I started this at the end of March, but the protagonist is a wizard/detective which could have gone toward either month. I really enjoyed it so I want to work my way through the..."

Oooh! I love Harry Dresden!! This is a wonderful series! One of my favorite of all time - my only problem is that the author has slowed down and there's 2 -3 years between the books now. Arrgh.

message 15: by Stella (new)

Stella (stellarreads) | 46 comments Jenny wrote: "Stella, Sabriel Lyrel and Abhorsen are GREAT!!!!!! I really hope you get to them!"

Thank you Jenny, I heard only good things so far. your confirmation only makes me wanna read it even more :)

message 16: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Finished number two in the Harry Dresden series: Fool Moon. This series is dark like chocolate and just as addictive.

message 17: by George (new)

George | 10 comments Reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Surprisingly enough, this will be the first time that I've read it, but he's one of my very favorite authors and Stardust might as well stand as a classic. Stella: I read the first in the Raven Cycle last month (not for the theme) and it was fantastic. How are you liking the cycle?

message 18: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 768 comments I read Penric's Demon today - once I started, I couldn’t put it down! It’s unlike anything I’ve read before, & I really enjoyed it.

message 19: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Lois McMaster Bujold is the awesomest!

message 20: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Finished Grave Peril yesterday. Started Summer Knight today!

message 21: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianeterry) | 37 comments I am reading more of Terry Brooks -Magic kingdom, on book 3 The tangle box then witches brew for this month.

message 22: by Clare (new)

Clare (clarity28) I’ll be reading The Invisible Library. Already a few pages into the first chapter and I like it so far. Undercover spy librarians in a magical steampunk world, yes please!

message 23: by Candy (new)

Candy Tiley | 84 comments I chose a book that some people have listed as Fantasy. The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan.

message 24: by Glennis (last edited Apr 17, 2018 08:20AM) (new)

Glennis | 135 comments I was going to read Eragon, but I can't seem to get caught up in in.... Back to JK Rowling and her newer books...
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay - Done.
I'm into Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two now... I've missed Harry!

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 166 comments Just read No Place Like Oz by Danielle Paige. It is a prequel to the Dorothy Must Die series.

message 26: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 797 comments Just finished Year One - this was more end-of-the-world / scifi but since it had witches, fairies, and other magical creatures I'm counting it.

message 27: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Cindy wrote: "Just finished Year One - this was more end-of-the-world / scifi but since it had witches, fairies, and other magical creatures I'm counting it."

More goodreads users rated it fantasy, so it was a great choice for this month. Did you enjoy the book?

message 28: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 797 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Just finished Year One - this was more end-of-the-world / scifi but since it had witches, fairies, and other magical creatures I'm counting it."

More goodreads users ..."

Loved it! Can't wait for the next installment in November! If you're looking for romance, there's not much here (maybe a smidge - it is NR after all). But there are dystopian end-of-the-world elements as well as fantasy (witches, fae, demons) elements. There's a MAJOR plot twist about 50-60% through that turns it on its ear and gives just another shake. You know that there are battles to come in the next part(s) - and I can see at least 2 or 3 more in this series. SO GOOD!!

message 29: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I love when authors try on new hats successfully. *adds to burgeoning tbr*

message 30: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Finished The Curse of Chalion. It took me a while to get into this one bit wasn’t slow exactly, but the world building took time. Ultimately the story really picks up and is very satisfying. I highly recommend it.

message 31: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (cebscales) | 7 comments I'm going to read A Darker Shade of Magic . This book was selected by students at my high school for this month of our book club, and it's perfect timing because it will work for this challenge too! I've never read any books by this author and fantasy isn't my usual genre, so I'm looking forward to something different.

message 32: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 768 comments I read The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame. It’s so sweet, his descriptions are wonderful.

message 33: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 768 comments Renee wrote: "Finished The Curse of Chalion. It took me a while to get into this one bit wasn’t slow exactly, but the world building took time. Ultimately the story really picks up and is very satis..."

That’s on my wish list, Renee - I’m pleased to know you enjoyed it.

message 34: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Renee wrote: "Finished The Curse of Chalion. It took me a while to get into this one bit wasn’t slow exactly, but the world building took time. Ultimately the story really picks up and is very satis..."

Renee, I think you'll find Paladin of Souls easier to get into. That's my favorite of all the series so far, although I haven't read all of the Penric stories yet. Highly recommend!

message 35: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments I read A House of Pomegranates by Oscar Wilde, which was quite enjoyable. 😊

message 36: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I liked some of the fairy tales more than others, but I really enjoy the way he wrote all of them.

message 37: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 768 comments I have just finished The Toymakers by Robert Dinsdale. It’s an amazing book, a blend of real life & magical fantasy. The best book I have read for ages. Set in London, parts of it reminded me of childhood shopping trips with my mum, especially those at Christmas.

message 38: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

It sounds wonderful, Trisha.

message 39: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (bkind2books) | 797 comments Finished Burn Bright - I love Patricia Briggs' fantasy series - this is a spin-off from the Mercy Thompson series with Anna & Charles Cornick (#5 in the Alpha & Omega series) and brings in elements from the last Mercy Thompson book. Leaves me wondering if the author is eventually going to bring the series together.

Starting another urban fantasy - The Better Part of Darkness

message 40: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I have just finished The Inquisitor's Tale: Or, the Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dogby Adam Gidwitz which is a children's historical fantasy set in the middle ages.

message 41: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Looks interesting. How was it?

message 42: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 421 comments I've just started Thief's Magic. I had planned to start it earlier this month. I have been reading two Philippa Gregory books lent to me by my aunt. They had been on my shelf for a couple of months and I felt bad I hadn't read them yet.

Thief's Magic seems quite interesting.

message 43: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

It was okay and I gave it three stars. I can see why it was nominated for many awards but didn't win. It was a cute book and kids would like because the title characters were likeable and the setting was well described. It just lacked that little extra something that lifts it above the ordinary. It did have a good ending.

message 44: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (cebscales) | 7 comments I just finished the three books in the Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab . They were all great, in my opinion! In A Darker Shade of Magic we learn that there are four Londons existing in different realms - Red London, where magic is thriving, Grey London (our London) where magic seems to have disappeared, White London, where the people are starving for magic and sometimes manage to tap into it, and Black London, where magic went out of control and destroyed the city and its people. In the first book the main character, Kell, from Red London, is one of the few magicians who can go between the worlds. He encounters a thief in Grey London, Lila Bard, and the two travel together to get rid of an unwelcome and dangerous artifact that resurfaces from Black London. In the next two books, the characters reappear, you find more about the worlds, and a dark magic figure from Black London seeks to extend his control to the other Londons.

I thought it was a very engaging series and an interesting set of worlds. I loved the characters. Fantasy isn't my usual genre, but it reminded me some of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell .

message 45: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am glad you enjoyed the books. I haven't read them, but I really like their covers.

message 46: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

I also enjoyed the Shades of Magic series. It's a good mix of fantasy and historical for those who don't like straight fantasy.

Sonia, I hope you like the Thief's Magic. Trudi Canavan is one of my favorites but I haven't started that series yet.

message 47: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I just finished reading a fairy tale I has not read before-The Firebird by Gitte Dry Svensmark. It is a good one.

message 48: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Glad you enjoyed it, Rosemarie. I'm not familiar with that one either, but I have a couple of retellings of it on my shelf that I need to get to.

message 49: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I really like fairy tales, so it was a treat to read a new, good retelling of this one.

message 50: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 153 comments I am reading and hope to finish in a few days Among Others by Jo Walton. It’s been a crazy month...almost forgot.

« previous 1