Multifandom fanatics discussion

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
This topic is about Divergent
Book series > Divergent series

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brandon Book Nerd (bwm721) | 83 comments Mod
What did you think?

Greeknerd7 | 44 comments I really liked the first book. The second was pretty good but the first was better and i haven't read the last one yet. I also have no desire to see the movie

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with lora

Hannah | 4 comments I love divergent!!!!! I have read the series about 4 times and LOVE the movie!!!!! I can't wait until the Insurgent movie!!!!!

Valentina Markasović If you guys say the first one was the best, I'm not sure I'm going to like the next two (I only read the first so far).. It was interesting, but I kind of felt it dragged?

Haley i thought the books were great once i finally finished all three ( which only took like 3 1/2 weeks )

but while i was reading the second and third books of the series i almost thought there was too much conflict!!!

i mean it seemed like in every page tris ended up lying to tobias in some way or another. It got to be so much lying in those books that i almost wanted to just stop reading. i mean tell the story however u want but truly know one lies that much especially to a person that they love, it just got to be to much.

in the end while i was reflecting on the books i thought they were great but why why did she ave to die

i mean i know lots of people including my brother would have said it was a horrible book if know one died but still why her so ya i cried for like 2 hours after that one i am just happy i did not finish the book at school!!!

Kate | 13 comments Mod
The first two books were great. But with the twist in the last book, i felt in a way that Veronica Roth ruined the series. Well not entirely, im exaggerating but you understand my point

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read the first and I want to read the other 2.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Chadbourne | 1 comments When I first started reading Divergent by Veronica Roth, I was a little disappointed. The beginning chapter seemed to follow the same formula as Suzanne Collins’ The Hunger Games. The main character is female dressed in bland clothing, doing what she is “supposed to” as dictated by her government, which has separated her city into “factions” in which each faction has a purpose, similar to the goods each district produces in The Hunger Games, but these factions have more of a social duty rather than an agricultural one. And the Choosing Ceremony where each young boy and girl decides which faction they will join had a similar feel to The Reaping Katniss and the other children endure. All of these similarities gave me an initial feeling that I might not like this novel as much as I had hoped. The similarities continued when the main character, Beatrice, chose to leave her quiet faction, Abnegation, and join the fearless, brave, and violent faction known as Dauntless. In The Hunger Games Katniss is not chosen to partake in the games, but chooses to do so in order to save her sister.

However, after Tris’ initiation into Dauntless begins I began to become wrapped up in the story and forgot all the similarities I just noted. Divergent began to take on its own presence in my mind. Roth’s creativity shone through throughout the rest of the novel in more ways than one. First, I enjoyed the simulations in which a person’s brain was tested to see which faction they were best suited for. Tris discovers that she is suited for three factions, meaning her brain is divergent, which is a dangerous thing to be in her society. Roth called on her knowledge of social practices and the many qualities people possess in terms of selfishness, honesty, knowledge, fearlessness, and peace and separated them into five factions in her dystopian society. The divergent individuals, such as Tris, possessed more than one of these qualities in excess and therefore did not have one true faction to which they belonged. In my opinion, Roth was commenting on the idea that in order to successfully run a society a blend of many different qualities is necessary, otherwise the society is bound to fail, as hers does.

I also finished the rest of the series, and I have to say I wasn't as impressed as I hoped I would be. Insurgent seemed to be very repetitive and dry and Allegiant seemed to be trying too hard to make itself more dystopian than the other novels. Kate, I agree with your comment that Roth's inclusion of the twist in the last novel did not make me like it more.

FangirlNina (spocktapus210) | 108 comments I read the first one, I was kinda disappointed

Valentina Markasović I agree with you on this one
I guess I just had too big expectations, with the movie and everything (which I haven't watched yet)
I will try to read the next two parts, though

message 12: by Valentina (last edited Jul 29, 2014 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Valentina Markasović I watched the movie yesterday. So, they changed some stuff and I'm not sure what to feel about that. I didn't like how Four could see her simulation, but okay.
But what pissed me off was near the end - why, why not just kill Kate Winslet when she was right under their feet.

(I'm aware this is the topic about the book series, but I wanted to share :))

message 13: by Bex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bex (thatcrazybooknerd) | 5 comments Valentina wrote: "If you guys say the first one was the best, I'm not sure I'm going to like the next two (I only read the first so far).. It was interesting, but I kind of felt it dragged?"

I think it really depends on the kind of reader you are... You might love the other two books, and you might hate them, or you might just be okay with them. I've met people with all of these opinions. Just be aware in general that the problems Roth was addressing in the second two books were pretty complex, and they weren't just spelled out for you. They took an undertone that wasn't there in the first book, and I think that kind of put people off sometimes, but I genuinely didn't think that they sucked. Roth also wrote Divergent in college, so pretty young for an author. I think the series not only reflects Tris's journey, but Roth's journey as a writer, and how she wanted to incorporate more problems into her writing as she really became aware of them. I didn't think that was the best idea, honestly, because it did change the direction of the series.

message 14: by Bex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bex (thatcrazybooknerd) | 5 comments haley (THE AMAZING ONE) :D wrote: "i thought the books were great once i finally finished all three ( which only took like 3 1/2 weeks )

but while i was reading the second and third books of the series i almost thought there was to..."

Yeah I finished the third book in school, and I remember telling my science teacher that if I started crying during break not to send me to the guidance department...

message 15: by Bex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bex (thatcrazybooknerd) | 5 comments Obviously The Thing (I will just call it The Thing)at the end of book 3 made a lot of people upset and it was really shocking for a lot of people... but honestly, looking back at the series, I don't think it was. Veronica Roth said that the one thing that really never changed about the series other than the basic gist was the ending, specifically The Thing, and there were lots of warning signs that The Thing would happen after Tris's parents died in book one. Tris felt like she had to live up to her parents legacy, she was depressed in Insurgent, she wanted to fulfill a greater purpose. She demonstrated the behavior of a person who was grieving in Insurgent, yes, but it went beyond that, and it was intentional if you thought about it. She cut her hair in Insurgent. She put herself in constant danger. She tried to sacrifice herself for what she thought was something better... these things aren't just signs of someone who wants to be LIKE her parents and is sad that they're gone, they're signs of someone who wants to BE her parents. She's suicidal, and it doesn't go away after book two. She just knows that she has to finish what she feels like is her mission, and then she'll let go. And that's what she did.

Valentina Markasović I found out what happens at the end of book 3, and at first I found it unnecessary. There was so much death already in the first book, I couldn't help to think Roth did it on purpose to cause a commotion among the readers. It seems like it's become a trend to kill off the main characters (look at John Green or George RR Martin, for example).
I can't judge yet, though - I'm not entitled to, since I haven't read everything yet and I don't know about the signs in book 2 that Bex mentioned. And with all this talk about Divergent, I feel more into the series; I even started reading the companion novellas from Four's POV.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It was so good and I thought that Allegiant was really sad. I really want to see the movie, but I'm waiting for it to come out on Demand.

Valentina Markasović I read Insurgent a couple of days ago, and yepp, I can definitely see the signs. It's not like they weren't obvious - it took her roughly 75% of the book to realize that her life is worth living.
To go back to the OP's question, I like Divergent better than Insurgent. I agree with Haley when she says there was so much conflict. If Supernatural taught me anything, it is that you have to be honest with people - that way you avoid, pardon my French, getting into a lot of shit.

Hannah (hannahsmanyhobbies) This series was HARD on my FEELS

Kindra Erickson | 7 comments I truthfully feel that Veronica Roth COMPLETELY stabbed me in the back on the last book. But who else thought Theo James was perfect for Four(because I did)?

message 21: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (readsash) Kindra wrote: "I truthfully feel that Veronica Roth COMPLETELY stabbed me in the back on the last book. But who else thought Theo James was perfect for Four(because I did)?"

agree and agree! Theo James was all sorts of perfection!!

message 22: by Ash (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ash (readsash) Hannah wrote: "I love divergent!!!!! I have read the series about 4 times and LOVE the movie!!!!! I can't wait until the Insurgent movie!!!!!"

ME TOO!! I don't know about you, but even though I HATE Hollywood screwing up perfectly amazing books, you know, I think i'd be okay with them changing the ending of this series, haha.

message 23: by A (new) - rated it 5 stars

A  (lone_wonder_woman) This is really one of my favorite series. I love how even though it's dystopian it's realistic. I mean who doesn't feel like people whether it's family or the government or friends try to force you be something that you aren't and then when you make the choice to leave or show who you really are they hold it against you and never let you live it down, especially if you bed up being wrong or come
Ing back like a wo pounded puppy?

message 24: by tiya (new)

tiya (atiyyvhhafeji) | 12 comments Insurgent was good