Discourse in a Digital Age discussion

Ready Player One Movie

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Who wants to go see the movie. It is in theaters tonight. But I was thinking next week. Let's get a group together.

message 2: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Absolutely - the previews are making me salivate! Next wk I could go Mon. Wed, Thurs or Fri nite.

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments I am free Thurs or Fri. My husband wants to go too.

message 4: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 62 comments I saw the cast on the talk Monday. Looking forward to seeing the movie.! I vote for Wednesday.

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Thursday at the Chase it is playing at 7PM. Is this good for everyone? I don't show it playing there on Friday.

message 6: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments I emailed people who haven't responded yet, so far Kim has replied and can't make it. Teresa and her husband & I are in for Thurs p.m. at the Chase

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Lucy wrote: "I emailed people who haven't responded yet, so far Kim has replied and can't make it. Teresa and her husband & I are in for Thurs p.m. at the Chase"

Maybe we should put it off till next week. I am having problem with my mother too.

message 8: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments I just double checked with Teresa -- she says yes def. for this Thurs pm at the Chase; see you all in the lobby at 6:30-ish.

message 9: by Vera (new)

Vera Emmons | 21 comments Sorry, I can't make it. I do have the book for next week. It's a good read.

message 10: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments I agree with Vera -- this is definitely a great read. I marvel at how much Egan seems to know about everything -- New York in the Depression and wartime, the workings of orphanages, Irish & Italian gangs, dockworkers, shipyard operations at the NYC ports in WW2, how divers trained, etc, etc, etc. If she spent 10 yrs researching this, I'm not sure how it could've come out more natural and true-seeming. And the characters are each so vivid and more than 3-dimensional, if that's possible. I'll be so disappointed if the rest of you hate Manhattan Beach!

message 11: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Parks | 19 comments I loved it too for all the reasons above. Can't wait to hear what everybody has to say.

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hammond | 27 comments Me too.

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments If you were unable to come to the movie last night. Go see it. It was really good. It kinda followed the book too.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
Sorry I missed y’all. I’ve been sick with a sore throat and bough all week so didn’t want to subject anyone else to that.

message 15: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Anne wrote: "Sorry I missed y’all. I’ve been sick with a sore throat and bough all week so didn’t want to subject anyone else to that."

You were missed

message 16: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Hardcastle | 166 comments Mod
I saw the movie last night. I thought it was a reasonably faithful adaptation of the book in spirit. Or at least, from what I remembered from reading the book several years ago. I missed a few scenes like navigating the Tomb of Horrors, but it's probably fair to skip things like that which aren't particularly mainstream.

The film reveled in what could be done with the visual medium. The love story was forced, as often seems to be the case with big budget releases like this, and Aech's revelation lost some of its significance this way. Sorrento leaving his password out like that was particularly inspired stupidity - you mean to tell me that big budget company doesn't at least have a password management software the protagonists could hack instead? Finally, closing the Oasis on Tuesdays and Thursdays is not the answer they are looking for, and not really the lesson to be gleaned from this film. (How about spending some of their wealth to turn IOI facilities into affordable housing?)

So, it had problems. But I frequently laughed out loud in the theater at something or another, and I had a lot of fun.