Support for Indie Authors discussion

Cover Workshop > Cover help - Poetry, A Head Full of Random Thoughts

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (new)

Rick Perry | 8 comments Looking for some input on possible covers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 528 comments My preference is for the cat one. Though it depends on the type of poetry. If it is a bit wacky then the cartoon one probably fits it better.

I'm not sure why 3 out of the 4 are brown.

message 3: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1101 comments I like the cartoon drawing, it has the small cat and tipped over coffee mug. It's kind of New Yorkerish.

message 4: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4270 comments Mod
It really all depends on what the majority of your poetry is like, Rick.

The first gives me a feeling of nostalgia and bygone times, of reflecting on a long life and those met along the way.

The second feels warm and cute.

The third is the oddball. It's whimsical.

The fourth is the most appealing to me. It makes me think of deep thoughts and makes me expect a good deal of word play in the poetry.

The third could use some touching up. It's a bit too amateurish. It feels like you doodled it in two minutes while on a call to someone. It would make me expect the poetry inside to be sophomoric. If your poetry is fun and silly, there's nothing wrong with a cartoon cover. Just - spend a bit more time on it is all.

message 5: by Darrick (last edited Apr 10, 2018 12:59PM) (new)

Darrick Williams | 11 comments The cover should in some way reflect your poetry.

*The first cover tells me nothing about your poetry.

*The second cover makes me think your poetry is about cats, or something cute.

*The third cover also has a cat, so maybe the poetry is fun and cute.

*The forth cover makes me think your poetry is clever in word play, however the title “A Head Full of Random Thoughts” doesn’t fit for me.

*Personally, I would go with an abstract figure or a person thinking. (just my two cents) Good luck!

message 6: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline McLean Francis | 17 comments No cats! Unless these are cutesy poems about cats. I like crossword puzzles, but I think that cover makes me think more structured word play, rather than"random thoughts", so it does not convey poetry as I think of it. The cartoon drawing is clever, maybe adding thought balloons as someone above suggested.

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Thatcher (jenna_thatcher) | 132 comments Cartoon drew my eye the most.

message 8: by Rick (new)

Rick Perry | 8 comments Thanks for the thoughts! As the title suggests, the poetry is fairly random. I have sections on People, Everyday Life, Childhood Memories, Social Commentary, and yes, some poems about cats. I really appreciate the input!

message 9: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4270 comments Mod
Rick wrote: "As the title suggests, the poetry is fairly random..."

All that really tells me is that it's written without any real direction or method. It doesn't tell me a thing about the topics. If anything, it indicates there are no real topics.

message 10: by Carro (new)

Carro | 69 comments What everyone else has said :) plus the last one, I don't like it that the letters are not lined up properly.

Are the poems modern in tone and style, or do they hark back to say Tennyson?
Just thinking that the cover image can also convey that - as in the letter could imply older style. If you had a reproduction an oil painting of someone at a desk, that would also imply older style.

You could go for an abstract pattern. Again, you'd want to match the mood of that to the contents - quite a difference between bright splashes of colour and a black and white geometry like a wrought iron gate for example.

message 11: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia | 22 comments Based on your description of your "random thoughts" I like the idea of the first cover (the script cover) the best. But its execution needs tuning up. The title size and brightness from the cat cover are better than those on the script cover, you need to improve visibility. Also, since "thoughts" are plural, and "poems" are plural, your image should have multiple sheets of writing. Also, use of a 30/60 degree angle in cover art is very eye-catching, so consider tilting the pages of script at more of an angle - as it is, they are so nearly horizontal, they simply look misaligned.

message 12: by Felix (new)

Felix Schrodinger | 138 comments No cats! Unless these are cutesy poems about cats.

I have raised a formal complaint with the RRB about this blatant gatophobia!

message 13: by Carro (new)

Carro | 69 comments Felix wrote: "No cats! Unless these are cutesy poems about cats.

I have raised a formal complaint with the RRB about this blatant gatophobia!"

Well, with your name...... :)

message 14: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline McLean Francis | 17 comments I offer my apology to Felix. I did not intend blatant gatophobia.

message 15: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1101 comments I also like to know what I'm signing up for in fiction and most nonfiction, but in this case 'Random' describes a general/wide-ranging content. The cover will tell me the rest. It's about reader segmenting so it should not appeal to everyone. :)

message 16: by Carro (new)

Carro | 69 comments Just wondering - would making the cover look parchment like and the text a handwriting sort of font work.

message 17: by J. (new)

J. (jguenther) | 52 comments The first one seems more literary/professional.