I Was Anastasia I Was Anastasia discussion

I Was Anastasia Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Crumb Thoughts..

message 2: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Mar 29, 2018 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Diane S ☔ I where Prince Frederick visits her in the cottage at the insane asylum, going to ask her questions to prove she is who she says she is.

I do like this, but still having problems with the way the story is told. Hard to follow and assimilate it all in totality. Cant believe how badly the guards treated these children. It is not their fault, they do not control their own lives. I know some of this history but little of her quest to be recognized.

message 3: by Crumb (last edited Mar 29, 2018 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Crumb I completely agree with you Diane. I am enjoying the history, but it is really hard to follow with the alternating timelines. Sometimes I just try to completely disregard the timelines and focus on the history, Right now, I am on page 194. I am at the beginning of the chapter where Anna is at Oyster Bay.

I also cannot believe the way the guards treated the children.. It is pretty despicable. Considering, that they really didn't do anything wrong.

Crumb Hi Diane.. I have a question about pg. 215. I'm reading the ARC.Let me know when you get to that point.

Diane S ☔ Not sure what page that is as I am reading on my Kindle. Just starting Chapter 18.

One thing I was surprised about and that is that the Romanovs were allowed to take their jewels and so many of their belongs with to Siberia.

message 6: by Crumb (last edited Mar 30, 2018 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Crumb You are almost at page 215..

I was pretty surprised about that too.. I'm just finding it hard to understand why the Romanovs are hated so much. Is it because Tsar Nicholas didn't do more for his people?
I feel like the punishment isn't fitting the crime AT all.

Crumb I just finished, Diane. WOW. Let me know when you are done.. I have to ask you something. I am so happy to have someone to read this with.

Diane S ☔ That was partly it but Rasputin was there downfall. The people hated his closeness to Alexandra and the power he was given by the Romanovs. It's more complicated than it seems.

Diane S ☔ Probably won't finish until tomorrow. Reading too many books at the same time.

Crumb That's fine. I don't read more than one book at a time - so I can definitely see how that would be more challenging.

Just let me know when you are done.. so we can discuss :-)

Diane S ☔ I have finished, Crumb. Still trying to decide how I feel about this. I was pretty familiar with the history of the Romanovs, the ending, their shooting, what was done to those young girls on the train, still got to me. The way this was written was confusing but the authors note explained why she wrote it that way. I wasn't as familiar with the story of Anna, didn't remember or never knew what happened to her. Both stories were heartbreaking.

Crumb Diane.. so my question is.. was Anna the Schanzkowska sister after all? And.. did Anastasia die that night with the rest of her family?

I found the history behind this fascinating. I am going to look into other books showcasing the history of the Romanov family.

Diane S ☔ Yes,she was Anna after all and no none of the Royal family survived.Did you have the afterward in your ARC, Crumb. She explains it in there. So did you like it? Not sure what I'm rating it yet. Will think it over tonight and process what I read.

Crumb Oh! I completely missed the afterward. Thank you, Diane.

I did like it.. however, I found the timelines to be a little confusing. I really, really enjoyed the history behind the book. I gave it 3 stars.

Debra I didn't like it much, but that is probably because I have read probably 8-10 non-fiction books by people with much better credentials and research capabilities. The royal family was hated because the populace had been fighting a horrible war (WWI) with nowhere near enough manpower, equipment and especially food. Meanwhile, the Romanovs lived in more than one extremely opulent palaces. Kind of a Marie Antoinette 'let them eat cake scenario, with Rasputin's vile influence adding insult to injury. As far as the jewels were concerned, the Romanovs were allowed to take a limited amount of their personal items, furniture, clothing,etc. Naturally, their bountiful quantity of jewelry would be included. Unfortunately, as their jailers became increasingly harsh, they began to see the jewels, usually minus the settings, into their clothing. Anna Anderson had learned enough about the family to pass muster in a very limited way, but when she had an appendectomy, a tissue sample was kept and later revealed via DNA, that she was the Polish woman. I thought this rending was oddly written and not ad close to truth that weighter times have revealed. I hope this answered questions that were brought up earlier in this discussion. Thanks for sharing.

Crumb I can definitely see your point of view, Debra.
This is my review of I Was Anastasia if you are interested:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Cathy Clemmons Crumb wrote: "I just finished, Diane. WOW. Let me know when you are done.. I have to ask you something. I am so happy to have someone to read this with."

I just finished and am somewhat confused by ending...