Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > Paperback rule?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1286 comments Mod
In the updated nomination rules we included the title must be available in digital as well as paperback. This was done because not everyone can afford or wants to be buying hardcover books.

So I was wondering if we need that rule or do the majority of our readers e-readers?

I hate to disallow books that are not out in paperback if it's not an issue in the group.

message 2: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I'm not an e-reader - only either audio or print. I mainly get books from the library. Is that worth a discussion with the group? Perhaps people can get books from the library, especially when we are nominating books that aren't recent hardback releases. I'll be interested in what others have to say.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1238 comments I tend to read off of my ereader so if I can't find it on Amazon I'll skip that months group read.

message 4: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Suzy wrote: "I'm not an e-reader - only either audio or print. I mainly get books from the library. Is that worth a discussion with the group? Perhaps people can get books from the library, especially when we a..."

That's what I'm trying to get a feel for. I used to get my books from the library until I got my tablet. Now, not only can I get digital books through the library, but my library has a subscription for hoopla which generally has new releases. I also trade and share books with folks so I can usually get just about anything. What I wind up getting from the library in paper form are older books that haven't been digitized as yet.

The reason the paperback/digital rule is in place is because new releases are often difficult to get from the library and costly to purchase.

message 5: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I'm not an e-reader - only either audio or print. I mainly get books from the library. Is that worth a discussion with the group? Perhaps people can get books from the library, especia..."

I like the paperback/digital rule - I'm in several groups that don't have that and often members say they can't participate because they can't afford to buy the new release. (Even if I might be impatient to read the latest :)) And I totally understand about getting new releases from the library! I'm #168 in line for Kirstin Hanna's The Great Alone. I don't mind waiting for a book unless it's a group read or a book club pick.

message 6: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 670 comments Mod
Luckily our library is the best, they order tons of copies of new releases in print, ebook, e-audio & on cd. Even paperbacks are so pricey these days, borrowing makes much more sense & it saves on trees.

message 7: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

As much as I love to read a book, as in have it in my hand, I have been won over by my tablet for a couple of reasons. I'm dyslexic and my tablet actually has a font which is easier for me to read. I struggle with my lack of vocabulary and when I read a physical book I also have a dictionary next to me because I won't read past a word I don't know. So the lookup/dictionary feature is so much faster that I'm able to read faster since I don't have to physically stop and look up a word.

I had a friend who gifted me with a digital library that has 1000s of books and he sends me new ones all the time, I rarely need to go through the library for a new release which is nice because here where they might have 40 or 50 physical copies of a new release, they might only have 4 or 5 licences for the digital copies.

I honestly never though I'd prefer an e-reader over a book, but it has come down to that. I have all three of the this month's read in digital form. If anyone ever needs a book, let me know and I'll see if I have it, I'm happy to share.

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments I only read books in print for many reasons, too. Since I retired from teaching, I still work HOURS online scoring essays for standardized college level tests, and I feel the need to get away from the electro-magnetic fields. I also prefer to read in bed while I watch television. An e-book wouldn't work; even if I could tolerate the light emission, it would end up on the floor. Print books are pricey and I always buy slightly used; just shipping and handling costs are high. My library is not close by, either, so that isn't an easy option.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (marquis784) | 35 comments I have trended toward ebooks over the years for the convenience and cost. I tend to get a lot of books for free as ARC or library loans which are easier to get online. I’ve always preferred a print book but I enjoy having a “book” with me at all times!