Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Archived: BOM/SGOM > April SGoM: ♥ Historical Romance

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments
Sub-Genre of the Month: ♥ Historical Romance

This is a good one because it covers a wide range of setting and times.

Listopia
Favorite Historical Romance Novels

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Any suggestions for this? I am not a bodice ripper fan and I'd love to read an enemies/dislike for eachother to love historical fiction...already read Outlander ;)

message 5: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Any suggestions for this? I am not a bodice ripper fan and I'd love to read an enemies/dislike for eachother to love historical fiction...already read Outlander ;)"

Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove would be a good fit for what you're looking to read. A Night to Surrender starts the series.

Eloisa James does great Historicals as well. I'm partial to her Fairy Tales series, which A Kiss at Midnight starts.

I also HIGHLY recommend Julie Garwood's Historicals. The Bride, The Secret, Saving Grace, and The Lion's Lady are all favorites for me. (The Bride is hilarious, just FYI!)

Jude Deveraux's Montgomery Saga does have quite a few historical entries. Two of my favorites are Wishes and A Knight in Shining Armor, but my mom swears by Sweet Liar.

Hope that helps!

message 6: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristenlees) Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Any suggestions for this? I am not a bodice ripper fan and I'd love to read an enemies/dislike for eachother to love historical fiction...already read Outlander ;)"

i used to LOVE historical romance. out of the ones on that list, i enjoyed P&P (the original enemies to lovers lol), Lisa Kleypas books, A Kingdom of Dreams (enemies to lovers), A Knight in Shining Armor, The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, The Bronze Horseman, The Grand Sophy and Eloisa James books. I also love the fairy tale series, they are all standalone, my favourite is When Beauty Tamed the Beast. I have not read a Julie Garwood book but I have a ton on my shelves at home.

I am going to read The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1) by Julia Quinn - it's been on my list for years.

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments I have so many of these books on my "to read" shelf, I just don't even know where to begin. I'm going to need some time to think about it.

Danielle  Gypsy Soul (afdaniellet) I'm going to read Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3) by Lisa Kleypas

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I think I'll go with Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4) by Lisa Kleypas .

message 10: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 31, 2018 03:48PM) (new)

Loriidae I have buddy reads scheduled in other groups for Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë and Wicked Becomes You by Meredith Duran so they will be my historicals this month.

Also two new releases Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2) by Anne Gracie (autobuy) and The Designs of Lord Randolph Cavanaugh by Stephanie Laurens (used to be autobuy but will probably hold off a while)

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments I'm going to read Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon for sure and maybe others.

message 12: by Chris (last edited Apr 30, 2018 05:40PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 312 comments Oh good! My fave.

It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2) by Lisa Kleypas 4/3
A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2) by Julia Quinn 4/8
Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4) by Lisa Kleypas 4/22
Mogul (The Knickerbocker Club, #3) by Joanna Shupe 4/23
The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever (Bevelstoke, #1) by Julia Quinn 4/24
The Seducer (Seducers #1) by Madeline Hunter 4/28
Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3) by Lisa Kleypas 4/30

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) I have tons of historical romances ready to read. I'm hoping to read a couple of them this month:

Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2) by Jenn Bennett The Bad Luck Wedding Night (Bad Luck Brides, #4) by Geralyn Dawson The Lovesick Cure by Pamela Morsi

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I think I'll go with Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4) by Lisa Kleypas."

Me too.

message 15: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments And maybe If You Dare (MacCarrick Brothers, #1) by Kresley Cole and/or The Lady By His Side (Devil's Brood trilogy, #1; Cynster Next Generation, #4) by Stephanie Laurens

message 16: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments We already have something planned for the SGoM for May; however, the poll for June is here.

message 17: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae I listened to Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2) by Anne Gracie and adored it. 5 stars.

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue | 205 comments I'm doing a ton of re-reads this winter, I just couldn't seem to get into anything new. Probably because I've had a run of bad luck with some of my choices. Anyway, I'm going to read The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark, #8) by Winston Graham it's part of the Poldark series and I've read the first 7 so I know what I'm getting. Great "family" and drama. Book 8 starts to dive into the children of the series, but thank god Ross Poldark always has a role. Not sure if I love this series because of the show and that I can visualize all the players. But it certainly doesn't hurt.

message 19: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae Sue wrote: "I'm doing a ton of re-reads this winter, I just couldn't seem to get into anything new. Probably because I've had a run of bad luck with some of my choices. Anyway, I'm going to read [bookcover:The..."

Wow that brings back memories. I remember working my way through that series. My high school library had the set.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I will start The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1) by Sarah MacLean in the next couple of days.

message 21: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I'm in but not sure of book yet

message 22: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae I also read an old bodice ripper from 1992, Nobody's Angel by Karen Robards . It was exactly the type of book I was reading back then. I do wonder if I would have picked up the plot inadequacies if I had read it when it was first published. Two stars.

I do think that the decision of giving a rating makes me look at a book more critically.

message 23: by Kristen (last edited Apr 12, 2018 09:33AM) (new)

Kristen (kristenlees) i read and really enjoyed The Duke and I (review) - my expectations may have been a wee bit high because it's such a popular series and has been on my TBR for like 75 years, but it was still really cute and now i can move on to the rest of the series.

message 25: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae Kristen wrote: "i read and really enjoyed The Duke and I (review) - my expectations may have been a wee bit high because it's such a popular series and has been on my TBR for like 75 years, but it wa..."

Best of the series for me. Lovely book.

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Good Gravy Beans! I've changed the Home Page link to this thread, like, three times! I don't know what GRs problem is. Anyway. Let's hope this time it sticks.

Geez.

I wanted to let you all know that I finished my book: Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4) by Lisa Kleypas . Loved it!

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Good Gravy Beans! I've changed the Home Page link to this thread, like, three times! I don't know what GRs problem is. Anyway. Let's hope this time it sticks.

Geez.

I wanted to let you all know t..."

That'sgreat

I'll pick it up from the library this week.

message 28: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I finished Hearts Defiant by Cheryl Biggs and loved it.

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Looks good, Vicki. I don't believe I've ever read that author. But, could be. The name sounds familiar.

message 30: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments Does anyone have a book that is guaranteed to make me laugh? I need a humor escape ASAP. An Historical Romance one would be perfect.

message 31: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I got it in a box of romance books I bought on e-bay. Looks kinda old pages are yellowed.

message 32: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Anita wrote: "Does anyone have a book that is guaranteed to make me laugh? I need a humor escape ASAP. An Historical Romance one would be perfect."

My sense of humor is a bit weird. I usually don't laugh at what other people laugh at! I can't think of many funny HRs.
Maybe Julia Quinn books?

message 33: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Anita wrote: "Does anyone have a book that is guaranteed to make me laugh? I need a humor escape ASAP. An Historical Romance one would be perfect."

I always enjoyed Julie Garwood's The Bride for laughs, and some of Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove books are funny too.

message 34: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments I've read everything Julie Garwood and "The Bride" was a wonderful story. Julia Quinn is great and I haven't read any Tessa Dare, but friends say she is funny. Hummm. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm coming out of my IRS funk, slowly.

message 35: by Oleander (new)

Oleander | 188 comments The Noble series by Katie MacAlister will make you laugh for sure.

message 36: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1) by Sarah MacLean and enjoyed it immensely.

Here is my GR Review

message 37: by Kristen (last edited Apr 17, 2018 06:11AM) (new)

Kristen (kristenlees) Loriidae wrote: "Best of the series for me. Lovely book."

oh fabulous! did you enjoy the rest of the series?

Anita wrote: "Does anyone have a book that is guaranteed to make me laugh? I need a humor escape ASAP. An Historical Romance one would be perfect."

have you read The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer? I thought that one was hilarious, though it's been a couple of years. It wasn't a bodice ripper by any means though. Just silly. But it made me laugh!

message 38: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 607 comments I read a lot of Georgette Heyer decades ago. I'll have to see if The Grand Sophy is one I have.

message 39: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I’m going to reread an old favorite Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3) by Loretta Chase .

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, that's a good one, Gisela.

message 41: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee I read Marry in Haste (Marriage of Convenience, #1) by Anne Gracie Marry in Haste by Anne Gracie and it was not what I quite expected by was very enjoyable to read.

message 42: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments ShoSho wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "I think I'll go with Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4) by Lisa Kleypas."

Me too."

I finished it and I thought it was OK. Too much medical ans thriller stuff and not enough romantic stuff.

message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I might read another The Lady By His Side (Devil's Brood trilogy, #1; Cynster Next Generation, #4) by Stephanie Laurens

message 44: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee Lauren wrote: "Finished The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1) by Sarah MacLean and enjoyed it immensely.

Here is my GR Review"

I thoroughly enjoyed it as well Lauren.

message 45: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee ShoSho wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "Lisa Kay wrote: "I think I'll go with Hello Stranger (The Ravenels, #4) by Lisa Kleypas."

Me too."

I finished it and I thought it was OK. Too much medical ans thriller stuff and not enough roman..."

I gave this one a 4-star due to the fact that she was a bold woman...you're right it did not have enough romance that I was looking for between the M/Cs.

Carly - Resident Supergirl | 275 comments Do we know what May's SGOM is going to be yet?

message 47: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1319 comments Carly - Resident Supergirl wrote: "Do we know what May's SGOM is going to be yet?"

Yes, but it will be revealed in the newsletter.

message 48: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "I read Marry in Haste (Marriage of Convenience, #1) by Anne Gracie Marry in Haste by Anne Gracie and it was not what I quite expected by was very enjoyable to read."

I liked this one but loved the next Marry in Scandal (Marriage of Convenience, #2) by Anne Gracie

message 49: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3) by Loretta Chase was as good as I remember.

message 50: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I just remembered we were supposed to do a buddy read for The Lady By His Side (Devil's Brood trilogy, #1; Cynster Next Generation, #4) by Stephanie Laurens and the rest of the series. Anyone interested? It can be our new series read. Starting in May.

« previous 1