On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Mudbound
This topic is about Mudbound
Group Reads: Moderator's Choice > Initial Impressions: Mudbound: April 2018

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 2646 comments Mod
Comments on this board should be written with the assumption that not all readers have finished the book. Please avoid revealing any spoilers.

message 2: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 2121 comments Mod
Another great one....and movie on Netflix.

Candi (candih) | 208 comments I've owned this book for ages, so I'm hoping to join in this month :)

message 4: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 4115 comments Mod
I have read this and it's a great one. The movie on Netflix is also excellent, and follows the book perfectly. Both book and movie are very atmospheric and true to the time and place.

Howard | 407 comments I haven't seen the movie, but I agree with Diane's comments about the book.

message 6: by Dustincecil (new) - added it

Dustincecil | 178 comments this ebook is on hoopla, and overdrive too.. I'm going to try to read all 3 this month, too many good choices.

message 7: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them, DustinCecil.

LA Cantrell | 1312 comments Read this one ages ago but will try to located the movie for the discussion.

Brina I haven't seen the movie. I'm 10 in line at the library and hopefully I will get to it during the month.

message 10: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 5 stars

As Laura said, the movie is on Netflix.

Brina I always read book first. Rule my mom started when I was a kid and it's stuck since.

message 12: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Wise Mom. That's my rule too. And when you do see the movie, make sure it's not immediately after reading the book.

message 13: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

I try to enforce this rule but I don't always win. She still reads the book sooooo as long as she's reading. But I'm also a poor example....I cheat by reading the endings of books bc I can't handle not knowing what's going to happen. I always finish the book and I'm getting better about not reading the last few pages. I'm a work in process.

Brina I think I'm in the middle-- as long as they read but at the same time book is usually better so I don't want them to see movie and then get frustrated. Anyway, I'm still 10th on the library list so I'll comment on other discussions in the mean time.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 408 comments I read it when it was a brand new book. I have a signed first edition!

Wonderful book.

Cathrine ☯️  | 642 comments Loved the book but the visuals in the movie left me gutted for some reason. Too well done!

message 17: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

How cool! Have you read anything else by author?

message 18: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've been reading and enjoying this. I found the part regarding the experiences of black troops in WWII particularly troubling. It seems like the officers who commanded them were the bottom of the barrel which is odd considering that my great x2 grandfather commanded a company in the 51st U.S. Colored Troops during the Civil War and, from what I have read, the requirements for qualification were very high. Non-commissioned officers could apply for officer training to serve in a colored unit and receive a promotion upon completion. The washout rate was over 50 percent and those who did become officers did so with the awareness that if they were captured by the Confederates they would be hanged for inciting rebellion.

Howard | 407 comments Tom wrote: "I've been reading and enjoying this. I found the part regarding the experiences of black troops in WWII particularly troubling. It seems like the officers who commanded them were the bottom of the ..."

After the Civil War, some topnotch white officers commanded black troopers during the Indian wars -- John J. "Black Jack" Pershing being a classic example. In fact, his nickname was due to his command of so-called "Buffalo Soldiers."

message 20: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Never thought about the origin of Black Jack Pershing's nickname, but it's a great piece of trivia.

message 21: by Howard (last edited Apr 05, 2018 05:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Howard | 407 comments Diane wrote: "Never thought about the origin of Black Jack Pershing's nickname, but it's a great piece of trivia."

Unfortunately, the nickname was originally intended as an insult, but later as its origins were forgotten it became an indication of his salty personality.

Camie | 102 comments Have my book plan on joining in.

Candi (candih) | 208 comments I've started this one and it's excellent so far.

message 24: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's a very powerful story.

Camie | 102 comments I've started this one as well and agree with you Candi !
I'm also happy to hear there's a movie.

message 26: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 5 stars

The movie is excellent! I'm surprised that it didn't get a best picture nomination.

message 27: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I think Mary J Blige was nominated for best supporting actress.

message 28: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 5 stars

She was. She didn't win it, though.