On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Mudbound
This topic is about Mudbound
Group Reads: Moderator's Choice > Final Impressions: Mudbound: April 2018

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Mathews | 2558 comments Mod
Comments on this board are made with the assumption that readers have finished the book and may include spoilers.

John | 533 comments Having read this book awhile back I put together a quiz. You will find it here along with a few others. I hope you like it.
Mudbound by Hillary Jordan https://www.goodreads.com/quizzes/by_...

Howard | 401 comments I read the book in 2014. My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (last edited Apr 02, 2018 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 2000 comments Mod
John I love your quizzes but it's been 4-5 years since I've read the book and know I would fail. I might pass a question about a piano being important to the wife....that stands out. (I think this is the correct book)

message 5: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Howard, very fine review that helped jog my memory.

John | 533 comments Laura wrote: "John I love your quizzes

Laura. I tried retaking the quiz this morning, twas a nobel but fruitless endeavor. Not a single question jogged my memory. I could never hope to create a question around Plano. Perhaps someone out there might. Like you, if it weren't for bad memory I'd have no memory at all.

Howard | 401 comments Laura wrote: "Howard, very fine review that helped jog my memory."

Thanks. Do you have plans to view the movie?

message 8: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Darn spelling corrections.....piano not plano. Haha! Howard my husband has watched it and read the book and he was not disappointed with the movie. However, there was quite some time between reading the book and seeing the movie. Sometimes I am afraid the movie will be nothing like the book and I get mad, so lots of time I avoid movie option.

message 9: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

John I think I have taken your quiz some time ago.....and it did jog my memory looking back over it.

Howard | 401 comments Laura wrote: "Darn spelling corrections.....piano not plano. Haha! Howard my husband has watched it and read the book and he was not disappointed with the movie. However, there was quite some time between readin..."

I may watch it at some point, but I feel much as you do. Movies are rarely -- very rarely -- as good as the books.

message 11: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 3973 comments Mod
I just took your quiz. 16 out of 30 right, dismal. It's been a while since I read the book, but I saw the movie about 2 months ago, so should have done better.

message 12: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Well bless your little hearts. I'm as pleased as punch that you would take the time 😎

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 389 comments I read this so long ago ... but it was a favorite and I was recommending it to everyone who would listen (and some who wouldn't).

Looking back over My Review .... I'm disappointed that I spent so much time describing the book/characters, rather than my reactions to the book.

I vaguely recall that I was impressed by her imagery and by the strong women. And I absolutely hated Pappy, though really appreciated how Jordan wrote him.

message 14: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 1085 comments Mod
I just finished (and still failed to get one of your questions, John). I had no prior knowledge of this book, so it was a stunning story for me. I'll have to digest before I pen my review.

message 15: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Thanks for taking the quiz. You did very well. There have been only two people that have done better. Even I missed one. Well done!

message 16: by Sara, "Ivy Rowe" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara (phantomswife) | 1085 comments Mod
I could really relate to all these characters, the evil that is pappy, the struggle it is for Jaime to overcome the society he was raised in, the difficulty for Ronsel to experience freedom and respect and then be tossed back into this quagmire of hatred and injustice. I loved Florence and Hap, and my favorite scene might be Hap's funeral service delivery. Reading from Job was so inspired.

Just a terrific book that left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but also with a kind of hope. I was surprised that I did not feel it was nothing but sadness at the end, but there is survival and where there is survival, there is hope.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mudbound (other topics)