On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

One Foot in Eden
This topic is about One Foot in Eden
Group Reads: Post-1990 > Initial Impressions: One Foot in Eden: April 2018

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - added it

Tom Mathews | 2695 comments Mod
Comments on this board should be written with the assumption that not all readers have finished the book. Please avoid revealing any spoilers.

message 2: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 2183 comments Mod
I don't know if I'll get to the reread but this is one you should consider if you have never read. It has one of the most memorable scenes, for me , that I've ever read.

Dustincecil | 178 comments I'm in... and excited- This will be my first of Rash's books.

message 4: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

DC....a good one to start with.

LA Cantrell | 1321 comments By coincidence, a good number of our group reads have been novels I finished years ago and have chosen not to re -read. But...I might be up for this one, for the third time!

One of my favorite quotes is when Rash describes the blistering heat of summer.

“When deep summer comes and the dog star raises with the morning sun, the land can scab up and a man watch his spring crop wrinkle brown like something on fire.

It's the season snakes go blind. Their eyeballs coat over like pearls and they get mean. A rattlesnake allows no warning and a milk snake that would have cut the dust to the tall grass in June quiles up and strikes at anything that steps its way.

It's a time when foxes and dogs go mad. They'll come shackling toward you, their lips snarly and chins white with slobber. You'll raise your gun and they'll come on like they just want to get it done with.”

LA Cantrell | 1321 comments Dustincecil wrote: "I'm in... and excited- This will be my first of Rash's books."

SQUEEE!

Brina I read this last summer. You will like this LeAnne. I have not read The Cove so I'm excited about that one.

LA Cantrell | 1321 comments Brina wrote: "I read this last summer. You will like this LeAnne. I have not read The Cove so I'm excited about that one."

Honey, I will! I've read it twice already!

Brina Lol. I'd reread but so behind this year due to real life. I'm happy I can finally participate in a discussion.

message 10: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Barnes | 4272 comments Mod
I won't have time to re-read it either, but it's mighty good. I have a real crush on Ron Rash, ever since I saw him speak at a luncheon a couple of years ago. It doesn't really show in his novels, but he has an incredible sense of humor.

message 11: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

He also has so much humility. I understand Diane's crush and completely support it. 😉

Wyndy | 233 comments Ron Rash, to-date, is the most genuine, entertaining author I've ever met. I am really looking forward to this book since I haven't read it yet.

Candi (candih) | 208 comments I read this one this past summer and it was my first Ron Rash novel. I quickly became a fan! I won't re-read this one now, but I may pop in here. I'm excited to read my next Rash novel with May's group read :)

Cathrine ☯️  | 685 comments LeAnne if you read it for a 3rd time, I'm in for a 2nd even though I read it 3 months ago.

Vicki | 68 comments This is the fifth novel by Ron Rash I have read. I have also read two of his short story collections so needless to say I am a fan. I believe I was introduced to his writing in a compilation of short stories called Grit Lit A Rough South Reader published by The University of South Carolina Press in 2012. This is an excellent collection of short stories which provides an introduction to many southern writers. This collection was edited by Brian Carpenter and Tom Franklin and I highly recommend anything written by Tom Franklin. I am enjoying One Foot in Eden and the trail's discussion about this book.

PirateSteve | 21 comments I have now purchased a copy of this book and have one foot on the starting line. I'm looking forward to my first Rash read and sould be able to start within the next couple of days.

message 17: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 457 comments I am gobbling up this book. Great! I am quite smitten by Ron Rash. Wow! I am a fan and will read all of his work!!!

message 18: by Tina (last edited Mar 30, 2018 10:11PM) (new) - added it

Tina  | 488 comments Judi wrote: "I am gobbling up this book. Great! I am quite smitten by Ron Rash. Wow! I am a fan and will read all of his work!!!"

Smitten, I like that! Ron Rash is addictive.

Debbie | 1 comments This was my first Ron Rash book. I have owned the book for a few years and always meant to read it. I don't know what took me so long...I did not want to put this book down, I practically drank it.

Camie | 103 comments I know this has been a "Trail" choice before, because not being from the South, before joining I had never heard of or read Ron Rash. Next month after reading The Cove, I think I will have them all covered though. So far this one is my favorite, though I'm guessing Serena is his most well known stemming from the 2014 Jennifer Laurence and Bradley Cooper movie.

message 21: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Serena was my favorite, but this is a close second. I haven't read The Cove, so will be joining that discussion next month too.

LA Cantrell | 1321 comments Camie wrote: "I know this has been a "Trail" choice before, because not being from the South, before joining I had never heard of or read Ron Rash. Next month after reading The Cove, I think I will have them all..."

Oh, that movie's screenplay was awful! They entirely defanged and declawed Serena. I'm with Diane - Serena is my fave of his books with this a close second. The World Made Straight is next in line.

Wyndy | 233 comments Just finished this one, and it is excellent. But for me, 'Serena' is still on top. Looking forward to 'The Cove'!

message 24: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Serena favorite, eden 2nd, cove 3rd but can't go wrong with Rash.

message 25: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Agree with LeAnne movie was awful but had the best actor/actress and still couldn't get it right. Rash said he had no involvement with the movie development.

Cathrine ☯️  | 685 comments The first Rash I read was Burning Bright and it blew my 5★ socks off. Then I read Serena and The Cove and only gave them 4★ because those short stories set the bar sooooo high. Since then I have become a bit loose with my ratings and I bet if I read them today they would both get 5s. I read Above the Waterfall last year and gave it 5★ in a heartbeat. I loved it. The World Made Straight remains the only book I haven't read.

Cathrine ☯️  | 685 comments I just discovered they made a movie based on The World Made Straight (Streaming now on Hoopla). Has anyone seen it? Hope they did a better job than they did with Serena.

LA Cantrell | 1321 comments Cathrine ☯️ wrote: "I just discovered they made a movie based on The World Made Straight (Streaming now on Hoopla). Has anyone seen it? Hope they did a better job than they did with Serena."

Yes, I saw it, and it was well done. Noah Hawley/Wiley...forget his name, the guy from ER was understated and believable. They even had a real Plott hound in it! As usual, it fit the axiom that it is usually impossible to fit the nuances of a book into a two hour movie.

One of the things that made it hard to stick into a movie was that the excerpts from that old surgeon's journal were hard to convey. One can use flashbacks in films, but the slow change from that doctor reporting on so-n-so giving birth in a difficult way and he accepting payment in apples and then slowly introducing his service in the army - I don't know how a director would pull that together without a much longer movie.

The desperation in the female character's position didn't come across as strongly as the outstanding book, but DO watch it! My only hiccup with it is that they cast Haley Joel Whateverhisname is (lawd, I'm getting old) as the boy character. His acting was a little bit over the top and it made him stick out some. I kept waiting for him to say I see dead people!

LA Cantrell | 1321 comments Here is an excerpt from The World Made Straight.

While describing a type of rare and colorful brook trout and a stream in winter, Rash writes: ”.. a dark, silent place down there, its metabolism slowed, as close to hibernation as a fish could get.

Dogs dreamed. He'd seen them make soft woofs and kick their back legs, eyes closed as they chased a rabbit or coon through the dark woods of their sleep.

Travis imagined the speckled trout under the ice, rising in its dreams to sip bright-yellow mayflies from the surface, dreaming of spring as it waited out winter."

Dustincecil | 178 comments this thread is on fire... all you, Rashies, Rashers, friends of Ron, whatever you call yourselves. Love the mental image of you all raising hell out back of an author's meet/greet.. looking forward to starting this ( and becoming one of you) in the morning.

Cathrine ☯️  | 685 comments LeAnne wrote: "Here is an excerpt from The World Made Straight.

I'm almost swooning. He is the man.

message 32: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 457 comments Indeed he is. I gobbled the book down a couple of days ago. A five star read! I am definitely a Rasher!

message 33: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rasher makes me think of bacon, and I love bacon, so......put me down as a Rasher. Put me in a room with Ron Rash on one side, and a plate of crisp bacon on the other, and I'm heading to the Ron Rash side. There's only one of him, and I can get bacon anytime. Although, I would be happy to eat bacon while reading one of his books.

message 34: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 457 comments Diane wrote: "Rasher makes me think of bacon, and I love bacon, so......put me down as a Rasher. Put me in a room with Ron Rash on one side, and a plate of crisp bacon on the other, and I'm heading to the Ron Ra..."

I am with you Diane! Bacon and Ron Rash. The room is likely to be packed with readers from this group.

Cathrine ☯️  | 685 comments I don't do bacon but I definitely have a rash after reading his books.

message 36: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 457 comments Cathrine ☯️ wrote: "I don't do bacon but I definitely have a rash after reading his books."

Cathrine ☯️ wrote: "I don't do bacon but I definitely have a rash after reading his books."

Love it.

LA Cantrell | 1321 comments Ron Rash is also indirectly for my years’ long friendship with many of y’all. Id read Serena and loved it, then decided to host it for book club. I put together scavenger hunts while hosting and often an author chat.

Ron had agreed to dial in with us, and wanting to ask non-idiotic questions of him, I googled ‘Serena, discussion, Ron Rash..’ etc. looking for other interviews. Lo and behold, some random GR group called On the Southern Literary Trail popped up.

Somewhere in here, there is a Serena discussion from four years ago where I show up and ask for input on what to ask him about! Diane, your crush introduced us!

message 38: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 457 comments Judi wrote: "Diane wrote: "Rasher makes me think of bacon, and I love bacon, so......put me down as a Rasher. Put me in a room with Ron Rash on one side, and a plate of crisp bacon on the other, and I'm heading..."

Diane, anyway that you can hook up with Ron Rash for an online chat via our Southern Literary Trail Group. Perhaps have Tom or the Lawyer invite him so he won't run off. Hope he doesn't have access to our "One Foot in Eden" book discussion.

Cathrine ☯️  | 685 comments Judi wrote: Hope he doesn't have access to our "One Foot in Eden" book discussion."

"Why no Mr. Rash, we are serious literary scholars in this group." 🤓

message 40: by Judi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judi | 457 comments Cathrine ☯️ wrote: "Judi wrote: Hope he doesn't have access to our "One Foot in Eden" book discussion."

"Why no Mr. Rash, we are serious literary scholars in this group." 🤓"

Indeed Cathrine.

Camie | 103 comments You guys have some great R.R. stories. I wasn't in the group when you read Serena, but it sounds like I missed a great discussion. I'm not re-reading this one right now as I'm finding the pre- 1980's selection a very slow read, but I've ordered The Cove and plan to be on the bandwagon next month !