On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Hunter's Horn
This topic is about Hunter's Horn
Group Reads: Pre-1990 > Initial Impressions: Hunter’s Horn: April 2018

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2642 comments Mod
Comments on this board should be written with the assumption that not all readers have finished the book. Please avoid revealing any spoilers.

message 2: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Barnes | 4113 comments Mod
I have had this on my shelf for ages, and can't wait to start in a few days. Her other book, "The Doll Maker" was a wonderful novel, and this has been described by critics as even better.

Dustincecil | 178 comments Looking forward to this too!

message 4: by Howard (new)

Howard | 407 comments Diane wrote: "I have had this on my shelf for ages, and can't wait to start in a few days. Her other book, "The Doll Maker" was a wonderful novel, and this has been described by critics as even better."
I knew the author's name was familiar and now I know why. I think there was a TV movie based on the book starring Jane Fonda.

message 5: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

You're right, Howard. I had forgotten that movie, and as I recall, Jane Fonda was very good in it. I think it was made for TV.

message 6: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

I started this today, and can see that it might take a while, until I can get used to the dialect, but it's worth the slowness, as it sings like poetry. I love this family already, in their love for each other, and for Zing, the old dog, who gets treated the same way my dogs get treated; as a member of the family.

message 7: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 126 comments I didn't recognize that this was the same author as The Dollmaker either, nor did I know that there was a mini-series and that Jane Fonda played Gertie. All of this is good news, since I loved The Dollmaker. I wasn't sure I was going to love Hunter's Horn. After the first few chapters I wondered just how long I was going to care about fox hunting, foolish men, and miserable women.

However, I've hung in there and am almost half way through, and the families and the story have gotten their hooks in me. Now that I know who the author is, it seals the deal, and I will gladly enjoy the rest of this novel.

message 8: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Foolish men who make their women miserable is more like it. The foxhunting mania among these people is new to me, since I always associated it with the upper class in English novels. But they sure do love their dogs. I'm not quite as far in as you, Janice, but can't wait to see how this is going to end.

message 9: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) | 252 comments April 2, 2018
Besides The Dollmaker, I saw quite a large collection of work from this author. She was a prolific writer and has written along with some of the greats in collections too. I have not found a book yet, but I did find The Dollmaker and read a bit about the author. I do love to discover the gems I have missed in past years.
I know this is not the Lee Smith thread, but I am going to tell you I got a story from Wiley Cash on my Facebook page the other day about Lee Smith. I will post it on that page. I will try to catch up with that and my review. I enjoyed being back with y’all . The Trail is the finest group of people of all . You all made me feel so grateful to talk book again. Book folks are the most lovely folks in the world.
Dawn

Camie | 102 comments I'm on chapter four and had to check here because it's going slow for me. I'm glad to hear it picks up !!

message 11: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Camie, it does pick up, but not til about 1/3 into it. But keep at it, because it goes to places that will surprise you. I am just halfway. I started out reading one chapter a day, then increased it to two, and now four or more. You have to get used to the dialect, and to some of these stupid men who end up doing the right thing in spite of themselves.

Camie | 102 comments Lol I've managed to get to Chapter 8 with a homework assignment method similar to what you mention Diane. Right now I'm afraid these crazy men are going to trade in their youngest children for hunting hounds, only because they need the older ones and their wives to work. ;-)

message 13: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Small children can't hunt or work, so they have no value. And those older children have minds of their own. But a hunting' dawg, now that's a valuable asset. The further I get, the more I worry about these people, and progress is coming up the mountain to change their way of life.

message 14: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 126 comments As I was making dinner last night, I thought about Milly cooking cornbread and beans, and I was very grateful for my first world problems.

There was a phase in my life when I wanted to live a totally self-sustaining lifestyle, and we spent a couple years on a kind of mini-farm - enough land to have a garden and some animals and pasture land. It was the hardest two years of my life, and I came away from it thanking heavens for all farmers and their wives and their back-breaking commitment.

I think Sue Annie is becoming my favorite character.

message 15: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

I love Sue Annie, and also Suse. Her desire for an education and to see the world beyond is breaking my heart. And I too am feeling guilty for sitting down to a good meal with very little effort, when the Ballew family is eating beans and cornbread for every meal, and Loreenie and her children are starving. This book is so good.

Dustincecil | 178 comments On chapter 4. Really liking it so far. reminding me of "losing battles" so many names, people, trying to have their say. It's feeling good to just be thrown into the mix running.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of heartbreak here.

hmmmm... I wonder who'll eat all that storebought dogfood now.

message 17: by Helen (new) - added it

Helen (helenfrances) | 17 comments Have to admit, I'm struggling with this one. It's a slow read at the moment, and I don't imagine I'll finish this inside this month, although if it really picks up with pace/plot maybe that will happen. I'm comforted at least to hear you're in the same boat, Camie, and also the words of encouragement from Diane about it getting better 1/3 the way through! I'll persevere a while longer, as I would hate to give up, but dare I say it, right now I'm bored.

message 18: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keep at it, Helen. About halfway through it gets hard to put down. The first part was so much fox hunting and set up with all the characters, and explanation of nature and living conditions, that I was bored too, and couldn't read more than a couple of chapters at a time. It truly improves as you become more invested in the characters. And dogs.

Dustincecil | 178 comments I'm having a similar experience as Diane. On chapter 10 now and it's going a bit quicker. My heart is totally broken...(already?) I think having so many names thrown at me in the first couple of chapters made me feel like I'd never figure out who's who and what's what.

Also- I totally have puppy fever now. Caught myself googling "beagle puppies" yesterday. sheesh!

message 20: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beagles, not foxhounds? I think beagles are rabbit dogs, and that's a no no in this book. Your heart is in danger of breaking again, DustinCecil.

Dustincecil | 178 comments Chapter 13.... the superintendent's school inspection... finally a bit of comic relief. This chapter made me fall in love with Suse. Her getting scolded for "cursing" (bull, bitch, jackass). Sausage fat as hair pomade. The actual curriculum almost as an afterthought.

message 22: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Had to love those students. They knew what was important.

message 23: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina  | 488 comments Since my library seems to only have this book as a reference book, I’m anxiously awaiting its’ long journey via snail mail. Looks like Scarlett liked it, so I’m pretty anxious for it to arrive in my mailbox.

message 24: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think you'll appreciate it, Tina. It's worth the time you have to devote to it.