The Jolly Good Reading Society discussion

books staring 25th July 2014 > Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 468 comments Mod
Please leave your comments here :)

message 2: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) I might try to squeeze this in soon but I'm trying to catch up on review copies before university starts at the end of the month so we'll see if I get a chance to.
I'll definitely be reading it before December though because I'm studying it for university.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I will be reading this late. It just felt fitting for October so I have it scheduled for then. Of course, I will come back here and report.

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) I have read Frankenstein twice, but I don't want to give anything away, so I'll keep silent for a while. But I love the book! Very flowery language in parts, but I have a soft spot for it.
Then again, I was one of the 'freaks' who loved Werther back in school...

message 5: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) I finally started reading this and I've read the letters and the first two chapters. I'm enjoying it so far but it's a really slow read for me. I seem to be in a bit of a reading slump...just no time to read!

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) Charlotte wrote: "I finally started reading this and I've read the letters and the first two chapters. I'm enjoying it so far but it's a really slow read for me. I seem to be in a bit of a reading slump...just no ti..."

Come to think of it, a slow pace might be best for Frankstein. It's romantic after all, poetic language and all.
Also it is a thoughtful story. If I could go back and read it for the first time again, I'd like to have more time to mull over some of the philosophic ideas and motives. Some books take time.

message 7: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Jones (ramblingsofanelfpire) Iselin wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "I finally started reading this and I've read the letters and the first two chapters. I'm enjoying it so far but it's a really slow read for me. I seem to be in a bit of a reading ..."

Definitely! I'm really enjoying it, I just wish I could savour it rather than reading to a deadline for university!

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) Charlotte wrote: "Iselin wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "I finally started reading this and I've read the letters and the first two chapters. I'm enjoying it so far but it's a really slow read for me. I seem to be in a bi..."

Oh, I definitely know the feeling!