The Mookse and the Gripes discussion

Favorite Presses > Influx Press

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments We can't not have a thread for the winners of the 2018 Republic of Consciousness Prize, Influx Press.

Influx Press publish stories from the margins of culture, specific geographical spaces and sites of resistance that remain under explored in mainstream literature.

Very illuminating interview with Kit Caless the Editor and Sanya Semakula the Assistant Editor here, written to mark their RoC win:

https://bookmachine.org/2018/03/27/sm...

When asked about the challenges and advantages of being a small indy press:

The challenges are:
1. cash flow: money goes out quicker than it comes in. We are constantly on the edge, consistently close to closing. Awards like the Republic of Consciousness are a lifeline to us – it can mean all the difference;

2. time: at a bigger press, you are there five days a week and you can plan accordingly, but all three of us work other jobs or have other commitments; and finally distribution: the best advice you can give anyone setting up a press is ‘sort out your distribution before you start’. It’s hard to sell books if they aren’t in the shops! It took us a while to find Turnaround, our distributors, but they do a fine job.

On the other hand, the advantages are: the passion, care and sheer amount of energy we put into each book/project. Sometimes they sell well, other times they don’t, but working on each one has been a privilege; the fact that we publish what we like. There isn’t a sales or marketing teams behind us telling us what we can and can’t publish. That’s how a book like Eley’s or Preti Taneja’s We That Are Young (Galley Beggar) get published by smaller presses, sometimes big publishing puts silly barriers up to books and authors that really shouldn’t be there; and finally, pubs! A lot of literary stuff happens in, or near pubs. All three of us very much like the pub.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments Sale of ebooks on this weekend - all 1.99

https://www.influxpress.com/sale/

including the RoC winning and James Tait Black shortlisted Attrib. and other stories

as well as their brand new book The Stone Tide: Adventures at the End of the World

message 3: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 42 comments Paul wrote: "Sale of ebooks on this weekend - all 1.99

including the RoC winning and James Tait Black shortlisted Attrib. and other stories

as well as their ..."

Thanks for the heads-up Paul. I have just bought Attrib. and other stories. Only need to work out how to get it onto my Kindle now!

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments I was wondering that! Do they send you a file / give you one to download - if so you just email it on to your kindle address I think?

message 5: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 42 comments Paul wrote: "I was wondering that! Do they send you a file / give you one to download - if so you just email it on to your kindle address I think?"

Yes, it's pretty straightforward once you have found your Kindle's email address (I wouldn't have known if I hadn't recently signed up to NetGalley and followed their instructions.)

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments Hopefully what Influx send is better formatted that some of the stuff from Netgalley, which seems designed (with some justification!) to make you buy the book if you actually want to read it properly.

message 7: by Neil (last edited Mar 29, 2018 08:15AM) (new)

Neil | 1978 comments That’s because NetGalley send the PDF which Amazon attempt (and normally fail) to convert to Kindle format as it makes its way to your Kindle. It is normally appalling. Influx are sending .mobi files which are Kindle ready so should be fine as no conversion is required.

For NetGalley, I tend to read the PDF on my iPad, so it is formatted exactly as the paper book would be.

message 8: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 42 comments Neil wrote: "...Influx are sending .mobi files which are Kindle ready so should be fine as no conversion is required. "

From what I've seen so far, the .mobi file from Influx is just fine.

message 9: by Neil (new)

Neil | 1978 comments Cool - it should be - I think .mobi is what you buy when you buy from Amazon.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1713 comments Paul wrote: "Sale of ebooks on this weekend - all 1.99

as well as their ..."

Thank you, Paul. I got a copy without problem from the states.
I usually only get .mobi files from Amazon and opted for an EPUB file which worked fine in Moon Reader app and my Overdrive app.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments Influx have moved to a new purer subscription model - they previously used Patreon but the fees for both them and the subscribers were too high.

One nice thing is that you can e.g. subscribe to 3 books per year and then choose which 3 of their 9 books you get.

https://www.influxpress.com/subscript...

message 12: by Robert (last edited Sep 02, 2019 05:11AM) (new)

Robert | 2111 comments Paul wrote: "Influx have moved to a new purer subscription model - they previously used Patreon but the fees for both them and the subscribers were too high.

One nice thing is that you can e.g. subscribe to 3 ..."

I subscribed to the 3 (I would have preferred nine) book deal (which now means it's dead ink and influx ) I though the choices were pretty good.

message 13: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 1018 comments Mod
I like the way that works - especially since I already own a couple of those titles. (This has become a problem with me and subscriptions recently. I had to stop my Indiespensable subscription from Powell's this year b/c I kept getting books I already own or have read.)

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments Yes I've had a similar issue with subscriptions overlapping (Two Lines Press publish books also published in UK, the Asympote and RoC Book Clubs both feature books from indy publishers I subscribe to etc).

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Influx have a flash sale this weekend for two books, now 1/2 price; Attrib. and other stories and Plastic Emotions £4.99 each

message 16: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5572 comments Am I right in thinking Dead Ink publishes books from north England? Ben Myers, Adelle Stripe, Ray Robinson, Amy Arnold, Jenn Ashworth for example? I am so drawn to stories set in north England it makes me think it’s the call of my Celtic cellular memories.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments They are certainly part of the Northern Fiction Alliance.

The Northern Fiction Alliance was founded in 2016 by Comma Press, having been awarded an International Showcasing Grant from Arts Council England. Comma’s proposal for the grant was to take 4 independent Northern publishers - Peepal Tree Press, And Other Stories, Dead Ink, and Comma Press - to a number of international book fairs under the group identity of the 'Northern Fiction Alliance', where they could showcase and sell the work of their exciting and diverse authors in order to help build a strong cultural identity of British writing, as well as publishing based in the North of England.

Since the initial proposal, the Alliance has expanded to also include Bluemoose Books, Tilted Axis Press, Mayfly Press, Saraband, Route, Wrecking Ball Press, and Valley Press.

message 18: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5572 comments I’m familiar with TNFA, but didn’t pat close enough attention apparently. Thanks. I will look into each of theses publishers.
I would like a TNFA subscription to get a sense of each publisher before choosing subscriptions to individual presses, at least until I win the lottery and can subscribe to every indie press.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6123 comments Influx though are a decidedly (South) London publisher.

And Attrib. (which Amanda refers to) was of course the winner of the Republic of Consciousness Prize that a number of us judged, and then the first short story book to win one of the UK's oldest literary prizes (James Tait - won by eg DH Lawrence, EM Forster, Siegfried Sassoon, JP Priestly, Aldous Huxley etc etc)

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments Gumble's Yard wrote: "Influx though are a decidedly (South) London publisher. "

Surely North (unless Hackney has moved since I last looked) - although like the football team the founders support, the exile North of the river is perhaps a temporary phenomenon.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6123 comments My fault I had them associated with the Brixton review of books in my head.

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments I thought you would most associate them with Arsenal - didn’t you bond with one of the founders in person, as a fellow fan of that mid table club?

message 23: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5572 comments I say that I feel an affinity to the northern stories, but I also like the stories set among the Fens. I think it’s easiest to say that I am an unapologetic Anglophile, and Eastern Europhile (is that a thing?) who loves stories set in any time or region of India.

message 24: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments Influx have a book coming out this month from a Beirut born author, Between Beirut And The Moon.

They've announced today they will donate all profits from new pre-orders of plus an additional 50% of total sales made, to a non-sectarian Lebanese NGO working to help those affected.

Looks a good book as well as a worthy cause:

https://www.influxpress.com/between-b...

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert | 2111 comments Influx's 2021 publishing schedule will be announced tomorrow.

message 26: by Ella (last edited Sep 01, 2020 11:48AM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 1018 comments Mod
Robert wrote: "Influx's 2021 publishing schedule will be announced tomorrow."

YAY! Thanks again for this information everyone!

message 27: by Paul (last edited Sep 02, 2020 02:44AM) (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments Cockfight by María Fernanda Ampuero translated by Francis Riddle

Lairies by Steve Hollyman

Self Portrait In Green by Marie NDiaye translated by Jordan Stump

Damned If I Do by Percival Everett

Ways of Living by Gemma Seltzer

Man Hating Psycho by Iphgenia Baal

In The Shadow Of The Phosphorous Dawn by Rob True

Variations by Juliet Jacques

The Service by Frankie Miren

The Country Will Bring Us No Peace by Matthieu Simard translated by Pablo Strauss

Another Percival Everett Book (TBC)

In The Pines – Paul Scraton & Eymelt Sehmer

message 28: by Paul (last edited Sep 02, 2020 02:45AM) (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments Self Portrait in Green is an interesting one - will make it International Booker eligible although it was US published in 2014

And Damned if I Do was US published in 2004 I think - I wonder if/hope the other Percival Everett book might be his new one

message 29: by Robert (last edited Sep 02, 2020 03:10AM) (new)

Robert | 2111 comments The three i'm fancying : The Country will bring us no peace
Damned if I do
The Service

message 30: by Paul (last edited Sep 02, 2020 02:47AM) (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments I haven't read Self Portrait in Green although I've read a lot of other Ndiaye so good excuse to get to that one (but again odd - she has a new book coming out in 2 weeks time that doesn't have a UK publisher as far as I know)

message 31: by Robert (new)

Robert | 2111 comments Paul wrote: "I haven't read Self Portrait in Green although I've read a lot of other Ndiaye so good excuse to get to that one (but again odd - she has a new book coming out in 2 weeks time that doesn't have a U..."

I still have to read LaDivine - I get a bit nervous when I start collecting authors who I haven't read yet.

Re Percivel Everett - I was thinking the same thing

message 32: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments Ladivine was wonderful as was My Heart Hemmed In. Not sure why I haven't read more actually (well The Cheffe I found a little disappointing). The new one (in translation) is That Time of Year.

message 33: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5572 comments I read That Time of Year Monday night, it was very good. NDiaye is the only author I’ve heard of.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9678 comments Sale on - 40% off books and subscriptions reduced as well

The subscriptions are good as one can choose which books one wants (e.g. I went for the translated fiction)

https://www.influxpress.com/subscript...