Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > slump

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Hornyak I need help! I'm in a reading slump! I have so much drama in my life, I can't take anyone's drama. (Books)

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Jaye (valeriejaye) | 170 comments Try re-reading a book that makes you happy no matter what :)

message 3: by Carissa (new)

Carissa (coolkidsread) | 46 comments I agree with Valerie! Or you can try reading a really short book you’ve always wanted to read. A graphic novel of some sort. Something that interests you. Usually reading short books during a slump helps me because once I finish I feel like I’m getting back on track. Even if the book was only 100 pages. Also, if worse comes to worst and you can’t seem to want to read, give yourself a break!! I used to always force myself to read during slumps which only prolonged them and made them worse. I now started just giving myself the break I need. Whether it be a few days or a few weeks. I always find myself back to reading because it’s genuinely what I love to do! Try that out and dive into some of your other hobbies you have!!

message 4: by dolly (new)

dolly (cryptided) i always listen to audiobooks when i'm in a slump because then i can do other things but still get reading done!!

message 5: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 317 comments Take a few days off reading and binge on television and video games or go out on the town.

message 6: by ダンカン (new)

ダンカン | 4 comments A good trip to some where alone is always good. I always needed a good getaway by myself to get away from drama and then things will balance out and get back to my reading. Hope you can get back to your reading.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina Haigler | 6 comments Listen to the audiobook of Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah. I don't know anyone who hasn't loved it.

message 8: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK (sumitrk) | 7 comments Read something light like a graphic novel or even a comic book.

message 9: by curleduptoes (new)

curleduptoes | 50 comments I agree with Sumit. Comics would be a good way to get over this slump ☺️

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) 1. Take a short break from reading, I usually take around two or three days off reading every month and I never get major slumps.
2. Read something short and light, nothing dark or full of drama. I recommend Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller (for comedy), Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch (for adventure), or The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (for sci-fi fun)
3. Find similar books to the ones that get you out of the slump and work your way up to reading at your usual rate. Or you'll get tired of light books and want something heavier :)