Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Sales and Good deals > One of the best books I've EVER read STILL for sale @$1.99 3/29

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Mar 28, 2018 07:09AM) (new)

Kateblue | 3778 comments Mod
Shades of Grey by Jasper FForde $1.99

https://www.amazon.com/Shades-Grey-No...

I'm not kidding. It should have won everything. This is the guy that started the whole "getting into a book and the characters are real" thing. But this book is not those, those are the Tuesday Next books.

I paid $15 for this book and I NEVER do that!

Go! I think it's just for today

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Adding this to my to-read list, no promising when I'll get to it though.

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Mar 29, 2018 11:45AM) (new)

I just want everyone to drop $2 on it because it's that good and because he has publicly wondered why it didn't sell better (I think price too high, which is why I didn't buy it for years.)

He has been promising another book in this world for some time. Maybe if everyone would just buy it, he'd finally finish the other book. Not that the first one isn's great on its own

Have you read any of his, Art? The first few of the "Thursday Next" series are also really great. And yet he's never been nominated for an award I've heard of. The most nominations are for a YA book that is not nearly as good as his norm.

message 4: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Haven't had the pleasure so far, Kate. I must admit that I have spent a lot of my youth focused on making a career of sorts so whenever I had free time to read a book or two a year (well, maybe 4-5, but still there would be years where I read as many books as I read in a month in present day), I would read the classics of SF, always opting for a safe choice.

The only time I would experiment was when I would find myself without a kindle in an airport and still I would be tempted to buy a nonfiction rather risking a flop with a sci-fi or a fantasy I know nothing about.

However I took a risk once, bought Windup Girl and never regretted doing so even though at the time it did not win any awards. An amazing read I ended up giving away as a present.

message 5: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I have not read Windup Girl, but it's on our list, right?

message 6: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Yeah, it is. Pretty enjoyable but I also get why some readers did not like it, there are some cultural references that deal with Asian culture and there is also a bit of environmental twist to it.

I enjoyed it, looking forward to reading it once again.