Play Book Tag discussion

Britt-Marie Was Here
This topic is about Britt-Marie Was Here
Archive: Other Books > Britt-Marie Was here by Frederik Backman 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1571 comments Britt-Marie, who was a minor character in My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry, is suddenly on her own in her 60's and in need of a job. She gets a temporary job being a caretaker for the recreation center in tiny Borg. She becomes involved with the local kids soccer group and friends with a local store owner. She soon finds her self doing very untypical things though dinner still must be precisely at 6.
I didn't like Britt-Marie much in grandmother but I liked her a lot here. There's plenty of humor but also a few very sad parts. The soccer parts of the book reminded me a lot of the hockey scenes in Bear Town, though this is a lighter novel than Bear Town. Ove is still my favorite, for it's depiction of how do you survive after losing the person you love the most in the world, but I have enjoyed all 4 Backman books I've read.

Jgrace | 3018 comments I've only read this one and Ove. I think I liked this one better. Britt-Marie grew on me.

annapi | 5117 comments I like the way the character grows on you. At first it seems like she will never be one you can sympathize with, but she slowly changes and her growth and development are very believable. I did like Ove a little better, but only a little bit. All Backman's books have been excellent!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the review, Rachel. I have been hesitant to read this one based on some mixed reviews from GR friends, but I finally placed a hold on it through the library.

Jason Oliver | 2088 comments I liked this book. Ove and Beartown are still my favorites, but very enjoyable.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I liked this book also. I found her to be quite irritating at first but I learned to like her more and more as the book went on.

I've read all his books and the only one I didn't care for was My Grandmother asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry.