Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Books with heroines who are NOT the typical mouthy, sassy, bitchy, sarcastic, chip-on-her-shoulder sort

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nerdy Werewolf (last edited Mar 28, 2018 06:49AM) (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) When I think of my favorite UF books that feature what I call the "quiet strength" herione, these are the series that come to mind:

Written in Red (The Others, #1) by Anne Bishop (This whole series, which I see you've read.)
Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs (but you should really read the prequel novella first: Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5) by Patricia Briggs )

I'm finding that while I will always have a certain appreciation for heroines like Kate Daniels and October Daye, I'm lately leaning towards the ones like you're describing. I think I just identify with them better. You don't have to be the baddest bitch in the room to be strong.

message 2: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (jskinz) | 1 comments Lake Silence by Anne Bishop. The heroine definitely fits that criteria, she’s not weak but she’s been through a lot and is just beginning the process of healing.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Holly & Jaime -- Thank you so much for the recommendations! I was going to edit my post but deleted it instead, how idiotic of me.

I'll be getting the books tonight.

message 4: by Nerdy Werewolf (new)

Nerdy Werewolf (halogen) If you find any more, please post them here! I'd love to read about more heroines like this!

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Stein (jimsteinbooks) | 8 comments If you aren't vampired out, Allie is the 17-year-old protagonist in Julie Kawaga's Blood of Eden series. I find her a down to earth heroine. The Immortal Rules

message 6: by David (new)

David Reiss For a very different (and highly entertaining, IMO!) heroine, try looking up Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series, starting with 'Soulless'. Victorian era urban fantasy, and lots of fun.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
David wrote: "For a very different (and highly entertaining, IMO!) heroine, try looking up Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series, starting with 'Soulless'. Victorian era urban fantasy, and lots of fun."

I'll second that one! It's a great steampunk story.

message 8: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 18, 2018 11:00AM) (new)

Jennifer Blackstream (jenniferblackstream) | 12 comments I feel like Anita Blake started this way . She was confident, but she made mistakes and knew her limitations. I realize she grew into an uber-beast magically speaking, but those early books were like what you're describing.

Honestly, I have a hard time thinking of heroines who aren't kicking butt from the get go.

If you like male heroes and not just heroines, I'd recommend the Dresden Files Storm Front and the Alex Verus series Fated.

And if you'll forgive a little shameless self-promotion, I just started a UF series about a village witch turned PI. I want it to be a long series, so I started her as a newb. I was beginning to think it was a mistake, given the preference for badass, whiskey chugging, tight leather wearing heroines, but your post request gives me hope. If you can forgive an enchanted fanny pack that's bigger on the inside, check out Deadline