Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Ordeal by Innocence
This topic is about Ordeal by Innocence
TV&Movie Crime,Mystery&Thriller > Ordeal By Innocence

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3977 comments Mod
The BBC 3 part part adaptation is now set to be shown starting Ester Sunday.
Originally set to go out at Christmas but was pulled after sexual allegations against one of the stars.

Wealthy philanthropist Rachel Argyll is murdered at her family estate Sunny Point. Her adopted son Jack Argyll, a young delinquent, is arrested for her murder. He vehemently protests his innocence.
Eighteen months later, Dr Arthur Calgary, a mysterious scientist, walks onto the velvety lawns of Sunny Point claiming to have just returned from an expedition to the Arctic. Even more extraordinary is his claim to hold the alibi that can prove Jack’s innocence. But Jack died in prison before the case could come to trial, and the Argyll family is reluctant to dig up the secrets of the past.

Rachel’s widower Leo is about to remarry his secretary Gwenda and none of Rachel’s other adopted children Mary, Mickey, Tina or Hester, nor longstanding housekeeper Kirsten, is willing to reopen that most horrendous chapter of their lives. However, the shattering implications of Calgary’s story are too big to avoid; if he is telling the truth then the wrong person was arrested for Rachel’s murder. And if Jack is innocent, then it must have been somebody else at Sunny Point. Somebody still out there…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/medi...

message 2: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I have been waiting for this since Christmas, so pleased to be seeing it at last.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments Can't wait for this to become available in the US.

message 4: by David (new)

Well seen all three now as it finished last night.

It was very good and well done even if for me it was obvious who had done it even before the reveal.

message 5: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I am so disappointed with this adaptation, if it had been a three part drama stand alone I would have enjoyed it. I appreciate that these adaptations have to be bulked out, but the writers managed to change practically every aspect of the book except the names of the family and the murderer and also the nature of the characters. The book itself is so good and I was really looking forward to seeing the play. I have seen and enjoyed the adaptation that put Miss Marple in it, I enjoyed that even though Miss Marple shouldn't have played a part, at least the characters were portrayed properly. I am really interested in hearing any other opinion.

message 6: by David (new)

I always think it is difficult with these. I tend to think that if they are like the book 100% then what is to be gained in watching the TV version.
I also think that there is always going to be some changes as they may well need to do them just to get the story etc achieved.

In this case I thought it was drawn out in the first two episodes and nearly everything revealed in the last. For me some of the things to reveal to get you thinking who might have done it needed to be across all episodes maybe.
I did think it was acted well and the guy that did Jack(Jacko) was magnificent.

message 7: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments I agree that the acting was excellent, I still think that as a stand alone drama it would have been great. There was just too much change to the original for me to be comfortable with, I also thought some of the changes were in-necessary, such as the death of the detective and practically 100% changes in the character of the characters, a good example of these changes was making Gwenda so facile. However having said all these things I will still look forward to another BBC production of Agatha Christie.