Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
This topic is about The Fell Sword
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Fell Sword [March 31st 2018]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3540 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts 31st March.

Solseit | 1460 comments Ready, set, go!

Laura Tenfingers | 1028 comments I started today and am in the middle of Chapter 3. I was worried the beginning of this book might be hard work (like The Red Knight was) but I'm enjoying myself straight away. I liked the new character in chapter 1, Morgan Mortirmir, and am curious how he's going to fit into the story.

A question in Chapter 3:
(view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments Lol!
I started yesterday and I am around the same point but I felt like I read it too superficially and I am considering at least restarting from Chapter 1.
What I recall very well is all the level of political intrigue that was lacking in The Red Knight; and I always love a good political intrigue.

message 6: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Apr 02, 2018 10:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Tenfingers | 1028 comments Yes! Lots of political intrigue and lots of different factions all conniving away...

There are so many PoV that I made a list of all the different parallel story lines that were in the air by chapter 7:(view spoiler)

Way too many people! And I've probably missed some. But I'm holding on to the thread, I hope...

Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Chapter 6 (view spoiler)

Chapter 7 (view spoiler)

But my favorite aspect of these books is the religious context:

Holy Saint Eustachios and all the venerated saints and martyrs!

Saint Basil and all the phalanx of saints!

Christ Pantokrator.

And the blasphemy: (view spoiler)

I've just started chapter 8...

Laura Tenfingers | 1028 comments Oh and wow! Chapter 7(view spoiler)

Solseit | 1460 comments Last night I decided to resume pretty much from the beginning and it was completely worth it!
I am through chapter 4 and I agree with your spoiler above. Just loved it. (view spoiler)

I am also excited to see the count of Galle; an absolutely annoying character. Hideous!
I feel a lot more invested now in the story, once again!

Solseit | 1460 comments Laura wrote: "I started today and am in the middle of Chapter 3. I was worried the beginning of this book might be hard work (like The Red Knight was) but I'm enjoying myself straight away. I liked the new chara..."

Lol, yes, I agree with you! I was funny in a weird way. Also, don't they know De Vrailly by now?

message 10: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Apr 05, 2018 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Tenfingers | 1028 comments By St. Martin's cloak!

Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

Laura Tenfingers | 1028 comments OK, finally finished chapter 11 (view spoiler)

Laura Tenfingers | 1028 comments Chapter 12 (view spoiler)

Chapter 13 (view spoiler)

message 13: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Apr 13, 2018 02:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura Tenfingers | 1028 comments Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Laura Tenfingers | 1028 comments Done! Phew!

First part was fun, middle but was work -lots of things to keep track of and lots of cryptic bits and pieces to guess at- and the last bit was action packed boom!

I like that these books really make my mind work, all the PoVs, all the different storylines and how he only gives us glimpses of what's happening and we have to remember random things and later piece them together. However, when I finish these books I'm wasted and have to go read some fluff for a while to recover. Going to go do that now :)