Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
This topic is about Crooked Kingdom
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Crooked Kingdom [April 2018]

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3530 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts 15th April.

Virginie | 5795 comments Thank you Angela!

In in in :D

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I didn't get to Six of Crows, but I might try and do this one. Need to reread it and see what I think.

message 4: by Wiñçÿ (new) - added it

Wiñçÿ (wincy) | 14 comments Yesssss!!! Crooked kingdom !!😊😊😊😊😊😊

Narilka | 2625 comments I caved and started early :) I can join the discussion though, the story should still be fresh enough in my mind.

message 6: by Solseit (new)

Solseit | 1460 comments I should be able to join this read. I am curious to see how it ends yet my expectations are quite sized.

Hailee | 2497 comments I'm in :-)

Narilka | 2625 comments I finished it. That was awesome!!

Timelord Iain | 15590 comments Narilka wrote: "I finished it. That was awesome!!"

Good to know... I'll be reading this sooner than later...

idiffer | 765 comments I finally get an wxcuse to finish this awesome series

message 12: by Wiñçÿ (new) - added it

Wiñçÿ (wincy) | 14 comments I seriously can’t wait till 15th April, I like this book a lot and I really want to know what happens next !!!.. but I shall still wait till April 15 .. by that time I will finish RED QuEen 👸

Lundos | 392 comments So I started a little early.

The first 20% seemed a bit off, I think. The group dynamic seemed ... forced or something. (view spoiler)If this was intended, it is extremely well done.

Lundos | 392 comments Nina - roughy 60% in.
(view spoiler)

Lundos | 392 comments 96% in
(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Probably starting this one today.

Narilka | 2625 comments Lundos wrote: "Nina - roughy 60% in.
[spoilers removed]"

Yeah, that was pretty cool. And I agree, you don't see that very often. It even made sense given her main ability. Like the opposite side of the same coin.

Timelord Iain | 15590 comments Lundos wrote: "So I started a little early.

The first 20% seemed a bit off, I think. The group dynamic seemed ... forced or something. [spoilers removed]If this was intended, it is extremely well done."

I think it was intended... bit dark for awhile, tho...

I'm about 25-20% in... started Part 3 according to my audiobook... dunno when Part 2 started...

Nina: (view spoiler)

Alice: (view spoiler)

Winged: (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 15590 comments 60% now... I'm liking this one more than Six of Crows... (view spoiler)

message 20: by jess (new) - rated it 2 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1720 comments Im sooooo looking forward to this, but Im so behind on BRs!!!!

Timelord Iain | 15590 comments I finished this this morning... just kept getting better and better

Matthias: (view spoiler)

I kinda want to read these Grisha books now... since they're about some of the Rahven characters we met in these books, and there's a new series starting next year about Sturmholt...

message 22: by Wiñçÿ (new) - added it

Wiñçÿ (wincy) | 14 comments I'm gonna start this book today! since my exams are going on! i will go slow. But the more slow the more i can enjoy the book!! right?

Lundos | 392 comments Iain wrote: "I kinda want to read these Grisha books now... since they're about some of the Rahven characters we met in these books, and there's a new series starting next year about Sturmholt. "

I don't really feel the need to read what has happened before in the Grisha books (view spoiler) I could read a bit more about the characters in Six of Crows.

message 24: by Beste (last edited Apr 17, 2018 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beste | 1163 comments @Lundos, @Iain,
If you guys decide to read the grisha series, keep your expectations low. Its still good for YA but you can't compare it with Six of Crows.

(I made my mum read both to confirm this:) )

Hailee | 2497 comments I'm in a horrible, horrible reading slump at the moment so I'm hoping that rereading one of my favourite books i.e. this one, will help me out of it. Going to be starting within the next hour or so.

Lundos | 392 comments Beste wrote: "@Lundos, @Iain,
If you guys decide to read the grisha series, keep your expectations low. Its still good for YA but you can't compare it with Six of Crows.

(I made my mum read both to confirm this..."

Hahaha. A bit unfair bringing your mutti into this, but I guess we can trust her on this one. ;)

Lundos | 392 comments Hailee wrote: "I'm in a horrible, horrible reading slump at the moment so I'm hoping that rereading one of my favourite books i.e. this one, will help me out of it. Going to be starting within the next hour or so."

Uh, that doesn't sound so good. I hope you get through it with rereading a favorite! That normally works for me.

Hailee | 2497 comments Lundos wrote: "Uh, that doesn't sound so good. I hope you get through it with rereading a favorite! That normally works for me."

Thanks. Yes it's worked for me in the past as well. I'm already 10% into CK so it seems to be working. Whether it kick starts me again with my other reads remains to be seen...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Only 25% in. I feel like this book is trying to be Gentleman Bastards with more romance. But it fails on the wit of Gentleman Bastards.

Timelord Iain | 15590 comments I saw the Locke Lamora comparisons as well, and liked it, since I knew everything would resolve at the end... we've probably still got 2-3 decades before Lynch manages to finish Gentleman Bastards...

message 31: by Lundos (last edited Apr 18, 2018 10:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lundos | 392 comments It's heist focused plots, so of course there is some sort of comparison. Then again I really didn't like The Lies of Lock Lamora at all, and I found this one much better.

Timelord Iain | 15590 comments Lundos wrote: "It's heist focused plots, so of course there is some sort of comparisons. Then again I really didn't like The Lies of Lock Lamora at all, and I found this one much better."

I loved LoLL... it's RSURS and RoT that lost the magic of that first one for me...

Lundos | 392 comments I think I expected too much with all the high ratings and people irl telling me I had to read it. And even with my disappointment I read teh other two as well. Also, I wouldn't mind a movie if it was done with a proper Director and well founded.

Narilka | 2625 comments I felt a little bit of Lies due to the setting - both were in island cities with canals and run by gangs - not the characters.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments 96% (view spoiler)

Hailee | 2497 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "96% [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)