What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Middle Grade Fiction: 1990s, girl and part malamute pup

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria D'alessandro | 6 comments I think it was published in the 90s. It is about a young girl who lives with her dad (mom is out of the picture). She forms a close bond with a part malamute/wolf like puppy but when her dog attacks a young child she must prove that she can care for a dog with wild instincts who doesnt always know his own strength, while also trying to ensure her dad doesnt end up with a woman who threatens her relationship with both her puppy and her father. Dog also runs away a lot. Dad helps build an extra deep fence that dog can't dig his way out of. Really warm story. Persevering likable main character.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4885 comments There is a wolf/malamute dog in The Fourth Grade Wizards The Fourth Grade Wizards by Barthe DeClements .

If not:
Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period/location story takes place?

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria D'alessandro | 6 comments Thanks for the response, no unfortunately that's not the one. I think there's a picture of a young girl and her puppy on the cover. It's not part of a series. I think the time period is the 1980s or 1990s, definitely US, suburban or semi rural. The main characters name may have been Sandy and the name of her puppy or the word Pup might have been part of the title, of course I can't remember the name though. I think it's likely out of print or may have been the one novel this author wrote.

message 4: by Krista (new)

Krista | 148 comments I think I read this. Will have to do some digging and see if I remember more!

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria D'alessandro | 6 comments Krista wrote: "I think I read this. Will have to do some digging and see if I remember more!"

Thanks!

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria D'alessandro | 6 comments Maria wrote: "Krista wrote: "I think I read this. Will have to do some digging and see if I remember more!"

Thanks!"

Any luck remembering anything else from this one? Thanks again!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33472 comments Mod
Please note you can bump your thread (post a comment) every 30+ days - or sooner if you remember more information - because this group is so large.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Mosher | 1 comments I also remember this book - although, I remember the dog being a half dog/half wolf cross. I seem to recall as well that it had a specific name for the "breed" other than just wolf-dog (which is what comes up when googling).

I do not think that it was part of a series either.

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria D'alessandro | 6 comments Agreed. I thought the breed mentioned was malamute but i could be wrong. Also i think she named it something like "kurpluck?"

message 10: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4132 comments Maria wrote: "Agreed. I thought the breed mentioned was malamute but i could be wrong. Also i think she named it something like "kurpluck?""

The dog in "The Fourth Grade Wizards" appears to have been named Kipluck: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria D'alessandro | 6 comments Thanks! I think this might be the correct book after all. I'll confirm the answer once I have a chance to re-read. Thanks again everyone!

message 12: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33472 comments Mod
Here's the Amazon Look Inside preview of The Fourth Grade Wizards by Barthe DeClements - https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Grade-W... This book has different cover images.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
Maria, was "The Fourth Grade Wizards" your book or are you still looking?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fourth Grade Wizards (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Barthe DeClements (other topics)