The Sword and Laser discussion

We Are Legion - We Are Bob (Bobiverse, #1)
This topic is about We Are Legion - We Are Bob
We Are Legion (We are Bob) > WALWAB: And the winner is - We Are Legion (We Are Bob)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1045 comments Mod
A hard fought tournament for Soulless ended just shy of the top as Bob's Legions were too much. This was SO much fun. Veronica and I always have a blast watching this tournament unfold, and we know y'all do too. Happy March! (And Patrons keep an eye out for the Book Briefing!)

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 2452 comments Mod
First male winner of March Madness

First Sci-Fi winner of March Madness

and First Canadian winner of March Madness

:-)

message 3: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Huh! (Well it was the first time we had any SciFi books in the tourney but I won't deny the hat trick)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1054 comments Yass! I have both ebook and audio waiting.

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Mar 28, 2018 04:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 5452 comments Mod
Results from the final:

Participation dropped back down for this round by about 50 people.

View the full bracket here

Tournament Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 5,073
Average Votes Cast: 338
Book With Most Votes: The Way of Kings (222 Votes) (Round 1)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. Soulless (387 Votes) (Round 3)
Largest Win: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (99 Votes) (Round 1)
Smallest Win: The Way of Kings (2 Votes) (Round 2)
Average Win: 33 votes

Tournament Totals:
We Are Legion (We Are Bob) - 798 Votes (199.5 per round)
Soulless - 672 Votes (168 per round)

Round 4 Statistics
We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor (196 Votes)
vs.
Soulless by Gail Carriger (133 Votes)

Winner: We Are Legion (We Are Bob)
Total Votes: 329
Margin of Victory: 63

Round 3 Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 764
Average Votes Cast: 379
Book With Most Votes: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (214 Votes)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. Soulless (387Votes)
Largest Win: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (51 Votes)
Smallest Win: Soulless (3 Votes)
Average Win: 27 (though this stat is pretty meaningless this round)

Round 2 Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 1,244
Average Votes Cast: 311
Book With Most Votes: Consider Phlebas (174 Votes)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. Theft of Swords (322 Votes)
Largest Win: Consider Phlebas (37 Votes)
Smallest Win: The Way of Kings (2 Votes)
Average Win: 21.5

Round 1 Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 2,736
Average Votes Cast: 342
Book With Most Votes: The Way of Kings (222 Votes)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. All the Crooked Saints (351 Votes)
Largest Win: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (99 Votes)
Smallest Win: Shades of Milk and Honey (3 Votes)
Average Win: 36 votes

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Mar 28, 2018 05:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Some Year to Year stats:

Total Votes Cast
2018: 5,073 votes
2017: 4,051 votes
2016: 3,199 votes

2017-18 Difference: 1,022 votes
2016-17 Difference: 852 votes

Participation continues to rise. Over 1,000 more votes were cast this year compared to last year. Not only did participation grow again, it grew by a larger amount.

Average Votes Cast
2018: 338 votes
2017: 270 votes
2016: 213 votes

2017-18 Difference: 68 votes
2016-17 Difference: 57 votes

Similarly, the average participation per match-up increased by nearly 70 people. The average participation rise was only slightly higher this year (11 people) than last year.

Average Win
2018: 33 votes
2017: 37 votes
2016: 31 votes

2017-18 Difference: -4 votes
2016-17 Difference: 6 votes

The Margin of victory is slightly down from last year, but not by much. This is contrary to the previous year where the margin increased slightly.

Book With Most Votes
2018 : The Way of Kings (222 Votes) (Round 1)
2017: Howl's Moving Castle (194 Votes) (Round 1)
2016 : The Fifth Season (157 Votes) (Round 2)

2017-18 Difference: 28
2016-17 Difference: 27

Both of the biggest winners occurred in the first round. This year's big winner got roughly 41% of the additional participation (28/68 people) than last years. The 2017 winner got about 47% of the participation growth.

Matchup With Most Votes
2018: The Way of Kings vs. Soulless (387 Votes) (Round 3)
2017: Theft of Swords vs. The Invisible Library (325 Votes) (Round 1)
2016: A Darker Shade of Magic vs. The Grace of Kings (251 Votes) (Round 3)

2017-18 Difference: 62
2016-17 Difference: 74

This year we had our strongest participation in the 3rd round (compared to the first round last year). This matches what we saw in 2016 however. The participation in one poll this year was 6 fewer than the average increase of participation this year. The top participation for 2017 was 17 higher than its average participation bump.

Largest Win
2018: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (99 Votes) (Round 1)
2017: Howl's Moving Castle (79 Votes) (Round 1)
2016: The Fifth Season (82 Votes) (Round 2)

2017-18 Difference: 20
2016-17 Difference: -3

This year saw a big jump in win margin by our top vote getter. The jump this year was a little under a third (20/68) of the average participation jump. However in 2017 we saw a slight drop from the previous year, despite the jump in participation.

Smallest Win
2018: The Way of Kings (2 Votes) (Round 2)
2017: The Invisible Library (13 Votes) (Round 3)
2016: The Fifth Season (1 Vote) (Round 4)

2017-18 Difference: -11
2016-17 Difference: 12

The margin for victory got really small this year, but in the first year we almost tied in the final round. The margin of victory was a single vote.

John (Nevets) Nevets (Nevets) | 1033 comments If I’m reading that correct, doesn’t that mean that the seeding is being done correctly? I mean that you have big blowouts in the first round, but much closer races in later ones. I know not all work out that way, but the general trend. If that is the case, a big thumbs up to Tom and Veronica for doing a difficult and unusual job very well.

message 8: by David (new) - added it

David (farrakut) | 785 comments UMBC will win next year.

Leesa (leesalogic) | 531 comments This was fun! I was fully prepared to read both in case Soulless won.

I started Bob two days ago and I'm finding it very entertaining. And I loved Soulless.

HobbitFromPA | 16 comments I read all three of the Bobverse books last year. Quite entertaining. Maybe I'll read Soulless instead.

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2683 comments Cool! I'm halfway through rereading Soulless and will give Bob a reread as well. Probably get more of the jokes the second time around.

Gillian (glkrose) | 12 comments I voted for this one so I'm excited. I love Soulless but wanted to read something new.

It's weird though. The book is not available at any library near me. I'm going to buy it but I've never had this much trouble with a newer book.

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gillian wrote: "It's weird though. The book is not available at any library near me. I'm going to buy it but I've never had this much trouble with a newer book. "

He signed a publishing deal with Audible only. He self published the ebook. I don't think their is a physical copy available for libraries to buy.

I'm not sure if Libraries (or digital lending services like Overdrive) buy self published ebooks to lend, or how exactly that would work. They'd probably have to deal with the author directly.

message 14: by katie (new)

katie (katekor) | 11 comments Rob wrote: "Gillian wrote: "It's weird though. The book is not available at any library near me. I'm going to buy it but I've never had this much trouble with a newer book. "

He signed a publishing deal with ..."

It depends on the library. The one I work at does not have the book (not a surprise, since it's an academic library), and as far as I can tell, there is only one copy in the state of Georgia (and it's an audiobook). According to worldcat (https://galileo.on.worldcat.org/searc...), 78 libraries have the print version, though!

message 15: by Ivy (new) - added it

Ivy | 44 comments A few other libraries have the book available in addition to the 78 that come up first in World Cat. Different libraries put the title into their catalog with a few slight changes, so you need to scroll down to find some of those other locations. It does look like the 90ish copies that are available through the libraries are physical books rather than e-book versions.

If your library does not own it, don't hesitate to ask them to consider buying it for the collection. Also, if your library has free ILL services, use that!

My library doesn't own it, but two nearby libraries do. I guess I'm lucky to live in an area with great access to awesome books.

Gillian (glkrose) | 12 comments Ah, that all makes sense. Thanks guys!

I'm going to buy a copy since I'd probably get it faster than if I asked the library to get one.

I love ILLs but it was honestly not at any of the libraries in my county.

message 17: by David (new) - added it

David (farrakut) | 785 comments I'm in the DC metro area, have library cards to DC Public Library and several of the surrounding counties. No Bob. However, it is available on Kindle Unlimited so I would either just straight up buy the book (it's what, 4 or 5 bucks) or do a Kindle Unlimited free trial.

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2683 comments I'm always glad to support Indie publishers, so bought them when I read them. Kindle Unlimited is also a good choice. Yep, the first one is $3.99 so it's cheap to get.

message 19: by Dani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dani Booth (TheMightyBooth) | 22 comments Called it. Now to read it lol

Jessica (J-Boo) | 227 comments As others noted in the March Madness thread, the silly title of this one initially put me off. But after rereading the blurb, this could be better than my first impression led me to expect. Excited to see what exactly I’m in for!

Jessica (J-Boo) | 227 comments Oh, and it’s available through my ILL program (interlibrary loan) here, which is wonderful

Rebecca (Raitalle) | 35 comments This is the first book I've ever not been able to get through my local library system (Chicago suburbs, so a lot of libraries involved, and I've even been able to get a specific translation of Boethius' The Consolation of Philosophy, so I feel like that's saying something). I went in to ask about the library potentially ordering it, and the librarian at the desk did manage to find another library in the state they can ILL it from for me, but he was impressed by how many Amazon reviews it had as an independently published book and is going to suggest it to their fiction curator to include with their next order. I was totally down to buy it if I couldn't get it through the library, but it feels cool to have contributed in this way as well.

message 23: by Colin (last edited Mar 29, 2018 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 293 comments Really enjoyed the contest this year, and looking forward to getting started on 'Bob' which has been on my TBR list for a while.

Jason Werner | 29 comments If you guys really like this book, I can’t push the sequels enough. I really wish they would consolidate all 3 into one volume similar to the Area X trilogy. I listened to all 3 in a row and it really felt like a single book.

message 25: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew Trznadel | 7 comments To anyone who owns a Kindle - I was able to borrow it through the Kindle Owners Lending Library, so that may be an option if it's still available.

Tasha I borrowed it a couple days ago through Kindle, so yes it is.

message 27: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

People didn't seem too excited by my stats, but I still went ahead and added in the data for 2016. Mostly because I was interested in the trends.

So I updated my previous post if you're interested.

message 28: by David (new) - added it

David (farrakut) | 785 comments Hey I'm always excited by stats, Rob! Glad you were able to figure out the 2016 data.

I think the matchups surprisingly worked out pretty well--not as many blowouts, I think, and WoK falling to Soulless is icing on the cake. :D

message 29: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (mmtz) | 1084 comments Rob wrote: "People didn't seem too excited by my stats, but I still went ahead and added in the data for 2016. Mostly because I was interested in the trends.

So I updated my previous post if you're interested."

https://youtu.be/sfD9DwNgV9o

message 30: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

I third the love of the stats!!

Bryan Spencer (BryanSpencer) | 30 comments Thanks for the Stat Stat Mr. Roberator!

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2683 comments To the tune of "We Are the World"

We are the Bob
We are the Legion
(view spoiler)

Michele | 1154 comments I'm glad - I really didn't like Soulless, and I loved the Bobiverse trilogy.

message 34: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Reads (tanyareadsandwrites) | 22 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "First male winner of March Madness

First Sci-Fi winner of March Madness

and First Canadian winner of March Madness

:-)"

Cool! Canadian Lasers represent!

message 35: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Reads (tanyareadsandwrites) | 22 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "To the tune of "We Are the World"

We are the Bob
We are the Legion
We are the ones who make it brighter for this galactic region
There's a choice we're making
We're spawning our own kind
And it's ..."

Ooooh, I love it!!!

message 36: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 2452 comments Mod
I love the stats, obviously, as well. :-)

I'll have to check them out now I have a few days off.

Misti (Spookster5) | 349 comments Excellent! I'm really enjoying WALWAB (I want to call it this from now on. It's fun to say).

Jason (macshaggy) | 61 comments First time I've enjoyed March Madness!

My pick was not seeded...but the book I stood behind since voting began won! Yay to the Bobs!

I also started reading We Are Legion about a week ago and I'm almost done, and I'm going to continue the series now.

This was very fun, and maybe next year my pick will be seeded.

William | 273 comments I started We Are Bob last night (after finishing Soulless, which was fun btw).

I'm now over 50% through the Bob book.

Health Warning: This Book is Addictive. Side Effect - May cause sleep loss!

message 40: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate | 9 comments William wrote: "I started We Are Bob last night (after finishing Soulless, which was fun btw).

I'm now over 50% through the Bob book.

Health Warning: This Book is Addictive. Side Effect - May cause sleep loss!"

Ha! I started yesterday and am pretty hooked as well. Though I'm not at 50%. But I NEED to finish Way of Kings... I've been dragging that one out for months so didn't let myself get too sucked in. It was a struggle.

message 41: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

I started We Are Legion like Friday I think? And I finished it yesterday which is SUPER fast for me.

message 42: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil | 1034 comments I just started yesterday and I'm loving it. The writing reminds me of John Scalzi.

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2683 comments Tom wrote: "I started We Are Legion like Friday I think? And I finished it yesterday which is SUPER fast for me."

Two more books to a well-finished trilogy Mistah Supreme Laser Sir. Just sayin'.

Brendan (mistershine) | 920 comments I'm about 50% through. The space exploration plot is fairly interesting but the constant pop culture references are beginning to grate. I know a book that is basically a long monologue will need some humour but most of this is just references thrown out to sit there like bricks.

message 45: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brendan wrote: "I'm about 50% through. The space exploration plot is fairly interesting but the constant pop culture references are beginning to grate. I know a book that is basically a long monologue will need so..."

You should never read Ready Player One.

Brendan (mistershine) | 920 comments I did read Ready Player One, for a group read in another group. Only book I've read in my adult life that I gave a 1 star review.

message 47: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brendan wrote: "I did read Ready Player One, for a group read in another group. Only book I've read in my adult life that I gave a 1 star review."

I'm sorry my warning came too late.

(And for the rest of the audience I loved Ready Player One and We Are Legion, just trying to help a Brendan out here.)

message 48: by Dara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2381 comments To me, the book is a mix of Ready Player One, The Martian, and John Scalzi. Which isn't all great for my personal tastes.

message 49: by Louie (new)

Louie (RMutt1914) | 679 comments Dara wrote: "To me, the book is a mix of Ready Player One, The Martian, and John Scalzi. Which isn't all great for my personal tastes."

But sounds perfect for mine of late. \(^_^)/
Now to just get off the comics train long enough to read a novel.

Aaron Nagy | 379 comments Dara wrote: "To me, the book is a mix of Ready Player One, The Martian, and John Scalzi. Which isn't all great for my personal tastes."

That's pretty accurate. But I liked this book alot despite hating RP1, liking the Martian, and liking some Scalzi. It didn't age super well in my head for me though looking back on it, which is in part due to the later books.

« previous 1