The Sword and Laser discussion

We Are Legion - We Are Bob (Bobiverse, #1)
This topic is about We Are Legion - We Are Bob
We Are Legion (We are Bob) > WALWAB: And the winner is - We Are Legion (We Are Bob)

Comments Showing 51-90 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brendan (mistershine) | 920 comments Tom wrote: "I'm sorry my warning came too late."

At least you tried.

message 52: by Ruth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth | 370 comments Dara wrote: "To me, the book is a mix of Ready Player One, The Martian, and John Scalzi. Which isn't all great for my personal tastes."

Hmmmm... not sure it's going to be great for mine either! I just finished Redshirts which I did enjoy, but RP1 did not do it for me at all, and The Martian was only ok for me.

I'm thinking I might try out Kindle Unlimited this month to read WALWAB.

message 53: by Dara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2381 comments I borrowed it from Kindle Unlimited, too, thankfully. I'm struggling with this book. It's so very... Default White Guy. Everything is filtered through that lens. I don't want to say more until proper discussion kicks off next week.

message 54: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 2452 comments Mod
Dara wrote: "It's so very... Default White Guy."

I don't understand what that means. re this book. :-?

Bob is white of a certain age. Of course the Bobs are going to reflect Bob Prime.

But we can discuss that in another thread at a later date ;-)

At least the Australasians are represented as evil badasses (sort of) :-)

message 55: by Dara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2381 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Dara wrote: "It's so very... Default White Guy."

I don't understand what that means. re this book. :-?

Bob is white of a certain age. Of course the Bobs are going to reflect Bob Prime.

But we ca..."

Yeah, I said in a book update that some leeway can be given because of Bob-prime is default but... spoilers. :-) I'll likely make a thread about it when proper discussion kicks off.

message 56: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 29 comments I devoured this book in like two days, the light hearted tone was a nice relief after Ghosts.

message 57: by Rick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick | 2241 comments Dara - I'd disagree only slightly... Bob is very much default white *geek* guy. If the reader has those enthusiasms (whether or not they're white or a guy) can see it being enjoyable to at least some degree. For people who are fantasy fans or not SF fans... I bet this falls flat for many of them.

Brendan (mistershine) | 920 comments Rick wrote: "Dara - I'd disagree only slightly... Bob is very much default white *geek* guy. If the reader has those enthusiasms (whether or not they're white or a guy) can see it being enjoyable to at least so..."

Or SF fans but not Star Trek or Niven fans.

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2683 comments Mmmm....references to Heinlein right at the start, and I'd swear part of the trilogy ending is from Lensman. It's a romp. Gotta admit, I didn't get all the Star Trek references but the ones I did get are, well, legion. There's also Simpsons references, other geek stuff like cartoons...think Dragonball Z is in there...there's so much I would think there's something for everybody.

Brendan (mistershine) | 920 comments I love Monty Python, I still thought it sad/pathetic that one of Ready Player One's chapters simply reproduced a script of Monty Python. I enjoy the Simpsons but what is naming a character Homer Simpson supposed to do for me? Am I supposed to like your book more somehow?

message 61: by Phil (last edited Mar 29, 2018 07:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil | 1034 comments I don't know that the references are supposed to make you like the book directly. For me they make it more realistic and I identify with Bob more because in a similar situation I would also be constantly thinking "oh this is like that Star Trek episode" or "Heinlein said something about this once".

Christos | 64 comments I voted for this book every single time so I am really glad it won

message 63: by Tina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tina (javabird) | 579 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Mmmm....references to Heinlein right at the start, and I'd swear part of the trilogy ending is from Lensman. It's a romp. Gotta admit, I didn't get all the Star Trek references but the ones I did g..."

Well, OK... I wasn't going to read it, but since you've told me there are Star Trek references, now I guess I will ...

message 64: by Jerry (last edited Mar 31, 2018 12:38PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jerry Gaiser | 22 comments HobbitFromPA wrote: "I read all three of the Bobverse books last year. Quite entertaining. Maybe I'll read Soulless instead."

Opposite for me. I've read the first three Parasol Protectorate books and am almost 1/2 way through We Are Legion. Good so far. Genre fiction hasn't been my thing this year. Mostly non-fiction. But We Are Legion sounded fun and so here I am.

message 65: by Iain (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iain Bertram (Iain_Bertram) | 676 comments Fun read, ripped through it in less than 2 days. Now to buy the other two books.

Regarding the names, sure they are geeky references but are not that important. Just a side effect of Bob having to come up with lots of names in a short period of time.

Suzanne | 45 comments The geeky names didn't bother me at all. I do the same thing when naming pets, etc.

Leesa (leesalogic) | 531 comments Great read. I'm almost done and I only started it last week once it was announced the winner.

Bryan Spencer (BryanSpencer) | 30 comments Wow, this has been on my internal want to read list for awhile, but I am sure like many of you we have more books bought to read next that our want to read list just continues to grow.
This book was Amazing I found that I could not stop reading. It was a bad idea to start reading when I went to bed, as I could not stop or sleep. The extreme lack of sleep that I will have tonight is the only thing keeping me from also starting book 2 & 3 right this second, but I will have to read them this month.

I too wish they were a one book purchase like area x was as the way book 1 ended just made me want to continue as if I had just see the first episode of a tv series.

I also loved the bobs Doh! #2

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1500 comments Dara wrote: " I'll likely make a thread about it when proper discussion kicks off. "

Oh, I shall keep a look out for that thread then. :)

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2683 comments ^^ I went to look because I'd seen a three book bundle. It does exist, but you don't save any money buying it. Curious that they would bother putting it together. It is literally the exact same price as buying all three individually.

https://www.amazon.com/Bobiverse-3-Bo...

message 71: by Tina (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tina (javabird) | 579 comments I found out if you opt to buy the Kindle version, you can add the audiobook for only $1.99.

message 72: by RJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

RJ (hawk5391yahoocom) I'm starting this one today...

message 73: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Reads (tanyareadsandwrites) | 22 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "To the tune of "We Are the World"

We are the Bob
We are the Legion (view spoiler)

I love this so much that I may have gone ahead and recorded my own version...

message 74: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 5452 comments Mod
Tanya wrote: "I love this so much that I may have gone ahead and recorded my own version... "

That was fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

message 75: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (mmtz) | 1084 comments Tanya wrote: "John (Taloni) wrote: "To the tune of "We Are the World"

We are the Bob
We are the Legion
We are the ones who make it brighter for this galactic region
There's a choice we're making
We're spawning..."

Tanya, that was awesome!

terpkristin | 3707 comments That was AMAZING, so well done, Tanya!! If that’s not the intro to the next episode, I’m going to be disappointed.

message 77: by Clyde (last edited Apr 23, 2018 09:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Clyde (wishamc) | 320 comments Tanya wrote: "I love this so much that I may have gone ahead and recorded my own version... "

Wow! Way to go, Tanya. Good skills.

John (Taloni) Taloni (JohnTaloni) | 2683 comments Tanya wrote: "I love this so much that I may have gone ahead and recorded my own version."

That. Is. AWESOME! I love it!

My brain goes around making song parodies (or in this case, more like a filk) pretty much all the time. SO glad you were inspired by my little doggerel. It's much improved by your great voice.

message 79: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

That is awesome Tanya :-)

The 2nd great song you have made for this group.
The other being "Smooth Roberator" :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNwq9...

message 80: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave wrote: "That is awesome Tanya :-)

The 2nd great song you have made for this group.
The other being "Smooth Roberator" :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNwq9..."

I hate you Dave..

message 81: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob wrote: "I hate you Dave.."

You love it.

description

Leesa (leesalogic) | 531 comments LOVE!!! :)

James Thomas | 13 comments That was awesome Tanya

John (Nevets) Nevets (Nevets) | 1033 comments Great Job Tanya, I really liked the harmony.

message 85: by Tanya (last edited Apr 24, 2018 04:31PM) (new)

Tanya Reads (tanyareadsandwrites) | 22 comments Thank you so much, everyone!!!

Your kindness when I posted "Smooth Roberator" a while back played a big part in me deciding to create and share this recording as well. Thank you for being such an awesome group of people!!!

And thanks again, John (Taloni), for the inspiration!!!

message 86: by David (new) - added it

David (farrakut) | 785 comments I keep playing "Smooth Roberator" at the meetups; I'm sure that Rob is very glad that I haven't been able to make the meetings in a few months. ;-)

message 87: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

We moved the meetups to a new undisclosed location

message 88: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1539 comments Mod
Holy shit Tanya this is so good. We already recorded the episode and I missed this, but it's going in!! We'll give you your rightful credit on the next episode 😆

message 89: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica wrote: "Holy shit Tanya this is so good. We already recorded the episode and I missed this, but it's going in!! We'll give you your rightful credit on the next episode 😆"

Aww.. I emailed you so you'd hopefully see it in time, but I guess you recorded early this week..

message 90: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Reads (tanyareadsandwrites) | 22 comments Rob wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Holy shit Tanya this is so good. We already recorded the episode and I missed this, but it's going in!! We'll give you your rightful credit on the next episode 😆"

Aww.. I emailed ..."

Thank you so much, Veronica!!! I'm super glad you liked it, and I'm honoured for it to be in the show!!!

And thank you, Rob, for the promotional support!!! I really appreciate it. :)

« previous 1 2 next »