PenPal Readers discussion

PenPal Corner - Age Groups > Young Adults (20's)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments For Young adult members (20's)! This is your small group thread to say hello and start some conversations, which can lead to a penpal to connect with.

message 2: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Hello everyone!

So, I'm Mion, 22 years old and from Estonia. I am quite into Asian (mostly Japanese) literature, so if you're interested in that, feel free to message me. I study romance languages at university and it's like, super fun. It's my final semester though, so who knows how busy I will become soon...

message 3: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Hi all!

I'm Zoe! I am 22 and from the United States. I am currently a senior in College at Cornell University and will be graduating this year! I am excited and a little nervous about what's to come! I love to read! I try to fit in a book or two a month on top of my school work and am excited about being able to read more once I graduate! I like mystery/thriller, contemporary fiction, and YA to name a few genres! I am interesting in getting to know people my age from this group! I am also always looking for new snail mail pen pals so if that's something you're interested in, shoot me a message!

message 4: by Sami (new)

Sami (indulgentreaders) | -1 comments Hi,

I am Sammi and I am 26, I work at a charity. I tend to enjoy reading one book at a time. though that seems to have changed recently.

Other than reading I enjoy writing and running.

Keen to have email or good reads pen pals.

message 5: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Nice to meet you both!

@Zoe, how difficult is this last year for you? I've only got three courses and my thesis left but I feel like it's too much. I'm pretty much on track though, so keeping my fingers crossed for graduation in June. Also, what do you study?

@ Sammi, I'm im the same situation with books! I have loved reading one book at a time for years and now I'm reading like three or five or ten suddenly. I like writing and running too, although for the latter I only like running outside, so I have to wait a bit until the roads are cleared of ice. What do you write? How much do you usually run?

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Pursell (rebeccawritesstuff) Hey guys I'm Rebecca, 27 from a place called Stoke on Trent in the UK.
This is my first group i have joined on GR so i'm finding my way a bit.
So uhhhhhm HI!?

message 7: by Tiina (last edited Apr 06, 2018 05:26PM) (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Rebecca wrote: "Hey guys I'm Rebecca, 27 from a place called Stoke on Trent in the UK.
This is my first group i have joined on GR so i'm finding my way a bit.
So uhhhhhm HI!?"

Hi! And welcome! What kind of books do you like? Any favourites/recommendations?

message 8: by Lauren (last edited Jun 10, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Lauren (poppyrocks) | 5 comments Hi, all! I'm Lauren, 22, and I'm starting my Master's degree this upcoming Fall! Ever since I graduated college and moved home for the summer, I've been missing talking about books with people! Like @Mion, I'm very interested in Japanese literature even though it's not really my field of study. I'm currently reading Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore. It's my third or fourth try--I'm a long-time fan, but this novel has been hard for me to finish for some reason. I'm a little bit of a snob and mostly like literary fiction, but I also have some closet nerd interests on the DL. I would love to chat via GoodReads or email, but I also think sending letters is terribly charming.

message 9: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Lauren wrote: "Hi, all! I'm Lauren, 22, and I'm starting my Master's degree this upcoming Fall! Ever since I graduated college and moved home for the summer, I've been missing talking about books with people! Lik..."

Ah, awesome! I haven't had it in me to tackle any of Haruki Murakami's books (the first time I tried, I was too young to get really into it) and then it's become somewhat of a standpoint from which it's hard to move on. What do you think is the easiest book from him to start with?

I hope I get into the Master's program I want, but the entrance exams don't start in another two weeks. So much time to read now!

message 10: by Lauren (last edited Jun 10, 2018 11:25AM) (new)

Lauren (poppyrocks) | 5 comments I started with 1Q84, but it really is not my favorite--in fact, I only liked it enough to think that I might like his other novels. I would start with his short story collections! I adored After the Quake (it might be my favorite work of his overall, I think about it all the time) and Men Without Women. Then maybe the shorter novels, like Norwegian Wood and After Dark. My favorite novel is still probably The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles, but I would never recommend it to someone until they had gotten used to Murakami's.... eccentricities?
Good luck with your exams! The summer I was applying for grad schools was the most stressful summer I had in college, I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. What are you going to be studying?

message 11: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Lauren wrote: "I started with 1Q84, but it really is not my favorite--in fact, I only liked it enough to think that I might like his other novels. I would start with his short story collections! I adored After th..."

I'm continuing with my French studies, so I really hope to get into the program for foreign language teaching. I want to work in Japan and this would help me a lot.

I'll probably start with the shorter novels when I get to Murakami. I seem to prefer them over the lengthy ones (and the Japanese have so many wonderful ones!)

message 12: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (poppyrocks) | 5 comments Ah! I was a French minor in college! I spent some time in France and was pretty fluent once upon a time, but I got lazy after I finished taking classes. Teaching English in Japan is my back-up plan if I don't get enough funding for my PhD the first time I apply haha.

Murakami is one of those authors that either people love or find really boring, but since you like a lot of other Japanese authors, I think you'll like him! He captures the same atmosphere that I love in other Japanese novels. The women in his stories leave something to be desired, though-- I'm pretty critical of his work in that respect.

message 13: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Lauren wrote: "Ah! I was a French minor in college! I spent some time in France and was pretty fluent once upon a time, but I got lazy after I finished taking classes. Teaching English in Japan is my back-up plan..."

Good plan! I'm probably willing to do anything to live and work in Japan at least for a while, so I should add PhD to my options too!

I was in the Japanese studies program for a year and according to my literature teachers, Murakami is more like a western author than purely Japanese, but I do hope you're right! He has so many novels, so I would love it if I really liked them.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (poppyrocks) | 5 comments Yes, he is definitely doing his own thing. Once, in an interview, he was asked about his favorite contemporary Japanese authors and if he was close with anyone and he told them no, he didn't know any of them, and that he was a loner who didn't like to talk to other writers. Except Banana Yoshimoto, he gave her a shout-out after some thought! I can't help but notice that he's referencing Soseki a lot in Kafka on the Shore, though.

message 15: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) Hi everyone!

I've only just found this thread - oops!

I'm Chloe, I'm 20 and I live in a small town called Worcester in the UK. I've just finished my second-year of University studying Accounting and I work as the Bookkeeper for a small Health and Safety company (how exciting?!)

I've already read 15/16 books this year, but I'm hoping to read a lot more this summer as I'm not studying! I read a lot of YA but shy away from anything too fantasy, sticking to romance mainly. I've started to try and read more adult books but I normally struggle.

So yeah, that's it I guess!

message 16: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Chloe wrote: "Hi everyone!

I've only just found this thread - oops!

I'm Chloe, I'm 20 and I live in a small town called Worcester in the UK. I've just finished my second-year of University studying Accounting ..."

Hi!

Better late than never though, right?! Are there any YA books you'd recommend? On some days, I really feeling like picking one up but I never seem to find the coziest one.

Good luck with reading more! I hope you're as motivated by the Summer Read More challenge as I am - it keeps me reading even if I don't really feel like it, even if it's just a couple of pages a day. I love the spreadsheet.

message 17: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) Hi Mion,

A YA romance I read recently was The Distance Between Us, which I thought was really simple, and just a really enjoyable read. I've also read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer which I also enjoyed.

After making this post I've realised I have actually read some adult books, without even really realising, so one I'd recommned from that group is The Roanoke Girls, which I read for this month's copycat challenge.

Yeah I think the mods do such a great job with the challenges. I'm motivated to read more just so I can put it on the spreadsheet!

message 18: by Abby (new)

Abby | 2 comments Hi everybody! I'm Abby, I'm 26, and I'm starting my PhD in Sociology this fall (eeks!) My MA is in English and I love reading ALL THE KINDS OF BOOKS!! I read a lot of nonfiction/current events stuff due to my studies and research interests, but also love mysteries and Victorian lit (Trollope all the way!)

I also love baking, knitting, and wrangling my incredibly energetic Border Collie, Zoey :) and I instagram my snail mailing at @abbywritesletters

message 19: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka (priyanka_sengupta) | 3 comments Hey, everyone!
I'm Priyanka, 23 and I am from Kolkata, India.
I joined Goodreads earlier this month and this is my first group. So, how are you all doing?

message 21: by Tara (new)

Tara (taraax) | 11 comments Hi Everyone!
My name is Tara, i'm 26, and from Canada! I'm a bit behind on my reading so i'm hoping to get caught up :) I had a baby in October and started the year off strong and ahead! Now that shes almost a year it's been hard to find the time to read! I'm mostly into YA and fantasy. I'll try anything and am always up for a book suggestion! My TBR is rather big right now of incomplete series.. I don't know why i struggle with them the most! It's not that they aren't interesting.

message 22: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (atoppy) | 2 comments Hey, I’m Ruby I’m from Seattle, WA and I am currently living in Portland, OR in the states, I am 27 years old and I am a college student and I’m looking to make some awesome new friends send me a message if you want to be penpals

message 23: by Pavani (new)

Pavani | 6 comments Hi all, I'm Pavani from Sri Lanka. I'm 27 years old. I would like to be a pen pal. Send me a message if you like

message 24: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte (timetoremember) | 9 comments Hello!

I'm Charlotte. I'm from the UK - based in Yorkshire. I work in Digital Content, and I'm interested in reading (obviously!), writing, hiking and calligraphy. I'd love a few penpals, so please send me a message if you'd like to set something up!

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna (annabergb) Hello! I'm Anna from Norway. I'm 22 years old and study history. Im interested in reading history, classics, literature, science fiction and much much more! Just look at my profile :-) message me if you'd like!

message 26: by Ynse (new)

Ynse (ynseb) Hi everyone! My name is Ynse, I am 20 years old and I am from Belgium. I study English and Italian literature and linguistics. I love reading (mostly the classics or young adult), writing (especially poetry) and swimming. You can always message me!

message 27: by Nisha (new)

Nisha (nisha31) | 4 comments Zoe wrote: "Looking for a pen pal? Participate in our pen pal matching challenge!"

Hi! Is this challenge still running?

message 28: by Franzi (new)

Franzi (bandybiscuit) Hi all :)
I'm Franziska, 24 years old and from Germany. I just finishes my studies in business administration (yay!). I'm mostly into fantasy and young adult with a bit of romance in it, but I also like science fiction and some classics . Just look at my profile :D I'm looking to make some new friends, so send me a message if you want to be penpals

message 29: by Janey-Ann (last edited Mar 05, 2019 06:07AM) (new)

Janey-Ann Jooste | 1 comments Hi everyone.!

My name is Janey and I live in a small town in South Africa. I'm 28 years old and I am a new mom. My little boy is 7 months old. I love reading and would love to be a writer.

I have my Masters degree in research in psychology and I am a registered school counselor and psychometrist.

My favorite genres are mostly fantasy and YA, with some romance. I buy a lot of classics, but struggle to actually finish them. Stand-alone fiction books also have a place on my bookshelf.

I'm looking to make friends from all over the world, so feel free to message me. :)

message 30: by Nisha (new)

Nisha (nisha31) | 4 comments Hi all! My name is Lineshe, I'm 21, and from Cape Town, South Africa. I am a full-time student and a part-time bookseller :)

I have one more year to go before I get my degree in Psychology and Gender Studies, so I'm super excited for that. Even decided to do a couple English Language and Literature courses this year to give me another excuse to read more.

I am here to share my love for reading and to make a few friends along the way. I'm looking for a reading buddy, somebody to chat about books, anime, comics, or just a friend to chat about anything else! Feel free to reply on this or to PM me if you're interested in having a chat or becoming PenPals. :)

You are not alone. Stay safe and stay strong!

(I prefer Email or Goodreads)

message 31: by Nisha (new)

Nisha (nisha31) | 4 comments Hi all!

My name is Lineshe, I'm 21 years and I live in Cape Town, South Africa. I am a full-time student and a part-time bookseller :)

I have one more year to go before I get my degree in Psychology and Gender Studies, so I'm super excited for that. Even decided to do a couple English Language and Literature courses this year to give me another excuse to read more.

I am here to share my love for reading and to make a few friends along the way. I'm looking for a reading buddy, somebody to chat about books, anime, comics, or just a friend to chat about anything else!

I like YA romance, fantasy, dystopian, drama, LGBT fiction, comic books and sometimes historical fiction and classics!

Feel free to reply on this or to PM me if you're interested in having a chat or becoming PenPals. :)

You are not alone. Stay safe and stay strong!

(I prefer Email or Goodreads)

message 32: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Bennett (kittybenn) | 1 comments Hello everyone! My name is Kitty and I live near Washington, DC in the US. I'm looking for a pen-pal for snail mail, who will let me go crazy with the paper and washi tape! I absolutely love making people smile with my art, and I'm giving snail mail a try!

I love art, of course! I do embroidery and draw with charcoal a lot, but I have a deep love for DIY stationery. I love music, I write creatively, and I like to read witty novels.

PM me if you're interested, I can't wait to hear from you!

message 33: by Hailey (new)

Hailey | 1 comments hi everyone!

i’m hailey and i’m from pennsylvania. i love reading and writing, as well as so much more! if you’re interested in being pen pals please reach out!

message 34: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Hi, I'm Mel. I'm turning 29 later this week. I'm British. I love animals, currently have one cat.

I love SFF and dystopia, but also enjoy the classics.

I also love writing, gaming, TV and movies, art/craft/needlework.

Would love snailmail or Goodreads penpals.

message 35: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (trisstessa) Hi all!

I'm Tessa. I'm originally from Pennsylvania (in the US) but now live in New York (not the city). I'm a writer/editor with a love for 19th-century British literature. I'm also into YA romance, rom-coms (books, tv, film, whatever), strong women characters, and the occasional memoir. Outside of books, I love music, cats, tea, and tofu, among other things.

I'm always looking to make new friends who love reading as much as me, so feel free to message me if you're interested in being pen pals!

message 36: by Anri (last edited Jan 27, 2020 11:04AM) (new)

Anri | 1 comments Hi there.
My name is Liza. I'm 24 years old.
I like reading fiction, LGBT+, psychology, romance, manga and comics.
I love Oscar Wilde's plays, Theodore Dreiser's and Sara Waters's novels.
I'm interested in finding a penpal with similar interests.
Feel free to contact me.

message 37: by Lucile (new)

Lucile Hi everyone :)

My name's Lucile and I'm 20. I'm from France and live in small town where I study computer science.

I mostly read fantasy and YA, but I also really like historical fiction and comtemporary. I'm always looking for new books to discover and enjoy. I'm also into art and DIY.

I'm looking for pen pals and friends who love books as much as I do !

So feel free to contact me :)

message 38: by Meagan (new)

Meagan Patterson | 7 comments This is a wonderful idea! I love it :) My name is Meagan I live in the US, Texas to be more specific. I have a five year old daughter. I am constantly in the middle of a book I'm always reading something. I LOVE romance, some mysteries, fantasy, dystopia novels and I am about to dip my toes into some classics sometime soon. We shall see how that goes :) Anywho if you're interested feel free to message me I'm not particular on which way we communicate :)
Happy reading everyone :)

message 39: by Pearl (new)

Pearl (crazymuffins27) Hi everyone !
I'm new in this group!

My name is Perla (Pearl in English :3) I'm 27 years old and let's be friends and share our feelings about books.

message 40: by April (new)

April | 1 comments Hello everybody!

My name is April and I'm 26. I got my degree in psychology. I love reading (of course), music, languages and cooking. I read just about any genre but lately I have been enjoying science-fiction/fantasy.

message 41: by Maia Alyssa (new)

Maia Alyssa (maia_alyssa) | 2 comments Hey there, I'm Maia and I'm from the Philippines. My favorite genres are YA, Romance, Mystery, and Fantasy. I'm also a big fan of tv series such as Sherlock, Stranger Things, Umbrella Academy, Money Heist and so much more! Feel free to message me about books or anything in between!

message 42: by Lavender (new)

Lavender (breakingthecyclepodcast) Hey im latricia 20 years old living in georgia looking for a pen pal

message 43: by Deeps (new)

Deeps | 1 comments Hi guys,

Deeps here. I've always loved reading (as with most people here). However, this year, reading has been a haven in this crazy world with unprecedented (gah) events around every corner. It's just the way to wind down after a long day staring at a laptop for work, and it's my own little space in the day. My favourite genres are fantasy, romance and YA - bonus points if we have ourselves an adventure!

When I'm not reading or working you can find me studying towards my accounting qualification, writing, listening to music or thinking about food.

I'd just like to make a new friend, talking through Goodreads first off would be ideal and then we could stay in touch electronically.

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1 comments Hey everyone,

I'm Jenny, pretty new to goodreads. I read a lot when I was younger, but kind of stopped before college. Getting back into it now - I mostly read YA, romance and fantasy, but I enjoy horror, dystopian, and the occasional play (often Beckett or O'Casey). I'm studying at the moment, but always looking for new penpals!

message 45: by Esmeralda (last edited May 06, 2021 09:53AM) (new)

Esmeralda Sanchez (soft_flame) | 1 comments Hi everyone! My name is Esmeralda, Essie for short! I just turned 23 yesterday and would love to talk with other readers! I used to be a huge reader and this past year I'm getting back into reading. Some of my favorite genres are romance, NA, fantasy, and LGBTQ+. Recently I have been getting into thrillers just to change up my pace of books.

Just graduated with my bachelor's and now focus on looking for more penpals, people that I can talk to when reading my current reads, and also someone I can send some books to since I have already read them and ready to pass them on! Also from Texas :)

Hope y'all have a great day!

message 46: by Juno (new)

Juno Negi (junonegi) | 3 comments Hello everyone, I am Juno from India. I am 26. I have been a Goodreads user for quite some years now. I would love to gain acquaintance with other readers here, receive and give book recommendations, discuss topics, share about my country and yours... Do get in touch!

message 47: by emre (new)

emre (emrebuzmavisi) Hi everyone! I'm Emre from Turkey, 24 years old. My favorite reading genres are realistic fiction, drama, poetry and fiction. Besides I love to talking about European and Latin American cinema, music, culture, cooking, relationships and almost everything about daily life things.

I am looking for new penpals. Please get contact with me if you are interested.

message 48: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn Graybill (jaclyn_graybill) | 2 comments Hello! Re-posting from general into here, so pardon the repeat!
My name is Jaclyn, I'm 23, and I'm from Michigan! Interests include music, exploring cities and nature, my dog, and of course reading. My favorite book is Little Women, my favorite show is Gilmore Girls or Sherlock, and my favorite podcast is Dear Hank and John.
My go to genres tend to be YA and fantasy (and especially the presently popular myth retellings!), but lately I have been really getting into classic literature, my most recent endeavor being Pride and Prejudice.
While tracking my reading process and writing reviews to send into the void has been so much fun, I would love someone to be able to talk about books with, as well as whatever else may be going on in our worlds!
I am open to snail mail or email, depending on where we may be. I look forward to meeting you

message 49: by Davina (new)

Davina Battistelli | 3 comments Jaclyn wrote: "Hello! Re-posting from general into here, so pardon the repeat!
My name is Jaclyn, I'm 23, and I'm from Michigan! Interests include music, exploring cities and nature, my dog, and of course reading..."

Hi Jaclyn! I'm looking for someone to talk books with as well and my interests are fantasy and classic literature so your post has caught my eye. I am also interested in general fiction. Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favourites. I'm interested in snail mail correspondence but email works too as I live in Scotland. A bit about myself - I'm Canadian, 28 years old, I moved to Scotland to be able to travel more easily and I love music and going to concerts, also enjoy hiking and roadtrips. Let me know if you would like to correspond!

message 50: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Curtis | 1 comments Hi everyone! My name is Andi and I live in the US. I'm new to goodreads, but I'm getting back into reading since I just graduated college and have a lot of free time now. I've never studied literature, but I tend to lean towards fiction books to distract me from the real world. I love being outdoors whether that's hiking, swimming, walking my dog, or hanging out in my hammock and reading. I look forward to meeting some of you!

« previous 1