PenPal Readers discussion

PenPal Corner - Age Groups > OWLS (Older, Wiser, Livelier 50+)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments OWL (Older, Wiser, Livelier) members (50+)! This is your small group thread to say hello and start some conversations, which can often lead to a new penpal to connect with.

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Tyler (doulton) I am older, but most certainly not wiser or livelier! I love to talk about books and to exchange snippets of poetry, quotations, book reviews, and generally get a chance to use my fountain pens.

message 3: by Anne ✨ (last edited Aug 01, 2018 07:58PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Yay, Natalie, I'm so happy an OWL finally posted here! There's lots of in the group, I guess we're a quiet bunch!

So there are also lots of members in the group who enjoy reading classics, and poetry, so I hope you'll find some penpal connections! If you have any favorite books you'd recommend, let us know in our Icebreaker Challenge Thread, so others can discover good books and chat with you after reading them!
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Diana (last edited Sep 16, 2018 09:34PM) (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 45 comments Hi OWLs. I live in Australia. I had my first penfriend in grade school at age 10 and a few years ago we got to meet IRL in her hometown in New Zealand. That was one of the happiest days of my life. We are still in contact and I am now 55. My mum had a penfriend all her life and two of my sisters did too. I started pen paling again a few years ago but life got in the way and I haven't maintained any of those contacts that came through an online group. I'd love to write again - I collect postcards, notecards and stationery so I'd love to be able to share some of that. I'm not a long letter writer but would be happy to exchange note cards etc.
This year I went to the US Postal Museum which was a great experience.
I have signed up for the Pen Pal Matching Challenge and if my info sounds interesting to you please let me know as I'd love to exchange snail mail.

message 6: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Diana wrote: "Hi OWLs. I live in Australia. I had my first penfriend in grade school at age 10 and a few years ago we got to meet IRL in her hometown in New Zealand. That was one of the happiest days of my life...."

Hi Diana! So glad you've joined us! That is awesome that you've had a penpal for so many years and finally met IRL too.

Sounds like you visited the US/Washington this year? I didn't even realize there was a postal museum, so cool! I visited Washington a couple of summers ago, and it was an amazing visit. I loved all the monuments, and the library of congress was an incredible building.

Enjoy the PenPal matching challenge, and we have lots of other fun activities that can introduce you to all the wonderful members of this group!!

message 7: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 45 comments I saw this request for cards on Facebook for a little boy with terminal cancer. If anyone is interested in sending a card the details are in this story.
http://www.kplctv.com/2018/12/05/loca...

message 8: by Laura Brown (new)

Laura Brown | 1 comments Hi all! I had penpals from my late teens - one of my first penpals is now my closest friend, we've lived near other for nearly 10 years now. Her husband and mine are also very good friends.

I'm looking for penpals in Australia/New Zealand/UK (where I currently reside) & Canada/USA (east coast).

I am 53, LOVE books of all kinds and always have. My favourites though include the Outlander series as well as the All Souls trilogy. I also enjoy history, biography (in both cases, not everything!), historical fiction, fiction, true crime.....anything that sounds good!

My other interests include baking, writing, genealogy, history......I live in England but was born and raised in Canada.

Looking forward to having some penpals.

Laura

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 45 comments Laura, I'm in Australia and would be happy to write to you. Please PM me your address. You may need to send a friend request first.

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee | 2 comments Hello everyone. I'm new to the group. :) I'm Renee-55, married to a wonderful man and living in very snowy and cold N. Illinois. Been pen paling since age 12. I'm here looking for long term, forever snail mail friends with women 35ish to 60ish, friendship only, from all over the world and near by about books, daily life, family, cultural interest, laughs, tears. Out going, friendly, witty gal who likes to write chatty letters about what all is going on in life. Work part time in a little sandwich shop.
My pen pals are my friends, not "just" a letter that comes in the mail. I'm a Christian since I was a child. Big animal lover! One cat, 2 dogs. Hobbies: Photography, history, reading. (esp.Tudor/Mary Queen of Scots era, ancient Israel,16th through 19th century, & early 20th century America and Great Britain.) ​My favorite genre is non-fiction, Christian non-fiction/some fiction, some chic lit, classics, literature, historical. I also enjoy cooking/baking, tea lover, recipe/postcard exchange, reading. Fave authors, God, Philippa Gregory, Jane Austin, Bronte Sisters, Ann Radcliff, some John Grisham, Bill O'Rielly, just to name a few. I like listening to orchestra/jazz, Christian, some old rock n roll music. Enjoy farmers market, antiquing, used book store shopping, spending time with family/three grandkids, chatting through letters. I type due to carpal tunnel & fibromyalgia. Plz tell me something about yourself too. Looking for friends with common interests.

message 11: by Diana (last edited Jan 30, 2019 10:49PM) (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 45 comments Renee wrote: "Hello everyone. I'm new to the group. :) I'm Renee-55, married to a wonderful man and living in very snowy and cold N. Illinois. Been pen paling since age 12. I'm here looking for long term, foreve..."

Welcome Renee, I'd be happy to write to you if you PM me your address. I'm 56, work as a Library technician and live in Australia. I'm single, never married, no kids, animal lover, cross stitcher, quilter, reader and op shopper ( thrifter). I have 6 nephews, one niece, two great nieces and three great nephews. They mean the world to me. I am a Postcrossing member and also a member of the Postcard Exchange here on GR. I love cookbooks and recipes. My favourite genre to read is memoir but I like to mix up my reading and change genre each book.

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 2 comments Hello my name is Nancy Lawson, I am a grandma of 5. Also will be 70 years old this month. Amazing, right ? I love to read found a new author, Ellery Adams. Reading her second book in the series A Secret, Book,and, Scones Society. Really enjoyed these books. I like to read mysteries that are 'mild'. I do like writing letters plus like to send postcard too. Other than reading I like doing papercrafts. Such as scrapbooking and making cards. I am married for the third time, 3 is the charm. We live in Illinois. Would be happy to penpal someone. Nancy.

message 13: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 3 comments Hi Nancy, are you still looking for a penpal?
I live in the UK, near London and I'm 67, close to your age. I like to read all kinds of books and like both cozy mysteries and other mysteries - I'm more interested in the crime-solving and the characters than the gruesome aspects.
I'm also keen on researching my own family history and my husband's ancestors - I especially like the social history aspects.
If you're interested in writing to me, maybe we could start by exchanging messages here, and then e-mail and occasional snail-mail letters and postcards.
Maureen

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana (secondhandrose) | 45 comments Welcome MsGracie. I love that you browse thrift stores for books and stationery. Op shopping (which is what we call thrifting here in Australia. That's op short for opportunity) is one of my favourite pastimes along with reading, stitching and snail mailing. Oh and I work in a library.

message 15: by Anne (new)

Anne Marais | 6 comments Renee wrote: "Hello everyone. I'm new to the group. :) I'm Renee-55, married to a wonderful man and living in very snowy and cold N. Illinois. Been pen paling since age 12. I'm here looking for long term, foreve..."

Hi Renee,
I'm 51, single, also a Christian and from South Africa. I would love to be email penpals with you. PM me if you are interested.

Kind regards,
Anne

message 16: by Anne (new)

Anne Marais | 6 comments Renee wrote: "Hello everyone. I'm new to the group. :) I'm Renee-55, married to a wonderful man and living in very snowy and cold N. Illinois. Been pen paling since age 12. I'm here looking for long term, foreve..."

Hi Renee,
I'm 51, single, also a Christian and from South Africa. I would love to be email penpals with you. PM me if you are interested.

Kind regards,
Anne

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne Marais | 6 comments Hi everyone,
My name is Anne. I am 51 years old, single (but open to love) and I live in South Africa. I'm a Christian, I love books, reading and writing. I work as a freelance journalist, writer, translator and editor. My favourite authors are Virginia Andrews and Karen Kingsbury. I love books where the characters overcome obstacles and experience victory. I also love Christian non-fiction and selfhelp books. I'm interested in photography, arts, crafts, cooking, languages and I'm a beginner bonsai artist. I would love email penpals. Feel free to PM me, if you would like to be my penpal.

message 18: by Natalia (last edited Aug 09, 2021 07:25PM) (new)

Natalia Miles | 2 comments I'm a native Californian who has recently moved to Arizona! I've worked in a variety of jobs: English and Psychology professor onboard US Navy warships throughout the world; college professor on board US Coast Guard cutters; a Playboy Bunny at the Dallas Playboy Club back in the day; teaching literature at a private high school in Kuwait, and more.

I am earning my third MA degree, and my first book will be published soon.

I'm interested in exchanging letters about novels and non-fiction books. I am a voracious reader--devouring one novel every 2 or 3 days. I have a wide variety of interests in reading from Elizabeth Berg, Anne Tyler, Michele Hunaven, Stephen King, Anton Chekhov, Ray Bradbury, Asimov, John Steinbeck, Polly Horvath, Tolstoy, Thomas Keneally, Jane Smiley and more: dramas, psychological thrillers, science fiction, American classics, 19th century Russian classics.

Let's exchange letters: we can examine themes, motifs, symbols, tropes, Jungian archetypes, the steps of the Joseph Campbell monomythic heroic quest in literature, and more.

message 19: by Anne (new)

Anne Marais | 6 comments Natalia wrote: "Greetings from the Desert of Southern Nevada!

I'm a native Californian who moved to Nevada a few years ago. I've worked in a variety of jobs: English and Psychology professor onboard US Navy warsh..."

Hi Natalia,
I'm from South Africa. I'm also a book addict, though my time is limited. If you want we can exchange emails. We are currently under lockdown, so I can't send letters.

Kind regards,
Anne

message 20: by Anne (new)

Anne Marais | 6 comments Natalia wrote: "Greetings from the Desert of Southern Nevada!

I'm a native Californian who moved to Nevada a few years ago. I've worked in a variety of jobs: English and Psychology professor onboard US Navy warsh..."

Sorry, my email is : annemrs6@gmail.com

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Braithwaite (shazbook) | 3 comments Hello fellow OWLS, I'm a 58 year old woman living in beautiful Mackay, Queensland, Oz....I have had penfriends since I was 15 and still in touch with a few of them...share postcards on a couple of exchange sites, read everything I can get my hands on whether it be books, magazines, websites etc..my absolute passion is the written word in any form, paper, I adore paper, Ive been a mad keen genealogist since mid high school, not just my own family, I am delighted by the story of everyone I meet. I believe that we are creating history by being who we are, no story is unimportant...(side note: write something about yourself, your family, your story, no matter how minimal...you only need one sentence to capture you)...food, gardens, wine, antique lace, music, Bob Dylan, that's a little bit about me. Would love to hear from you x

message 22: by Ziznase (new)

Ziznase | 1 comments merhabalar
her konuda tartışmaya açık mektup veya sohbet için burdayım. çekinmeden arayabilirsiniz. ekleyebilirsiniz.

message 23: by Natalia (new)

Natalia Miles | 2 comments Sharon,
Let me know if you are interested in being pen pals.
Thanks!
Natalia

message 24: by Alexw (new)

Alexw | 1 comments Have traced my family back to 1706 in USA and am a lifelong resident of South Dakota. Reading is my hobby along with hiking, biking, golfing, hunting fishing and skiing.
Interested in all genres of reading and hope to find a person of similar interest to discuss the magic world of reading.