Public Domain Readers discussion

Suggestions > Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather dennis | 6 comments I think we should add some books to the bookshelf. :) Considering the scope of the reading material for our group we may need to categorize it by different shelves/themes.

Just wanted to run it by everyone before I started going willy nilly with shelves.

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee Howlett I think the bookshelf idea is a great one. :)

message 3: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 355 comments Mod
This group definitely needs a bookshelf. I say go willy nilly :)

I was thinking about starting a monthly read. Maybe we could designate a specific author. Everyone could choose one of his or her books and then report their impressions.

message 4: by Lanelle (last edited May 24, 2015 12:18PM) (new)

Lanelle | 355 comments Mod
I am quite active in another group here on Goodreads called The Challenge Factory. As you can tell by its name, they offer a lot of reading challenges. I am on a limited budget, so to fulfill a requirement for a challenge I'm participating in, I often go looking for public domain books. I have found some good books that way.

Would anyone be interested in participating in a reading challenge? I have a couple in mind.

It would be another way to see what others are reading and if a book is any good.

message 5: by Mark (last edited Aug 28, 2015 06:04PM) (new)

Mark Davess (markdavess) | 63 comments The bookshelf with different tags is a really good resource. Probably a thread could be created where people can suggest books and discuss the right tags/shelves for them (it can be multiple ones for each book, of course, which is even better).

I think creating lists is a good idea too. It works well because people can gradually add to it whenever they find something, add a lot at once if they want, or just one book now and then, so it will grow and grow without anyone having to necessarily sit for hours creating it, by the gradual accumulation of people's contributions, plus the list gets ordered more and more as people vote on books and put those in their order of preference. Such lists would eventually beome a resource to find quality public domain books easily and will serve to attract more users to add to them and to join the group too. There could be a list which is just 'Public Domain Books', though there could be something like 'Books in the Public Domain with a rating of 3.5 or higher which have been rated by at least 5 users', and then a more 'elite' list which changes that to 4 or higher and at least 100 users, or even something more extreme (over 500 ratings, or something). There could be genre related lists too, but with the bookshelf that probably would be pointless. Maybe 'Foreign Language Books in the Public Domain' or (and) 'English Language Translations of Foreign Language Works in the Public Domain.' This last one might seem kind of meaningless to some, but it would be a great resource for anyone learning languages.

message 6: by Sawako (new)

Sawako | 471 comments Mod
Hello, everyone! I hope you are having a good reading time. I have an idea that I want to share with all of you. I want to start a new topic in which we can suggest a monthly read in this group. I think by doing this, we will be more active, get to know each other and the most important thing is to read more public domain books together. If you liked the idea, I can add a new topic called "Monthly read suggestions" in General Discussion. So, we can start suggesting a genre, author or theme to read next month. Thanks!