Spaztic Readers discussion

2018 Archives > April Theme: Mental Awareness and Drug Addiction

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leela (last edited Mar 27, 2018 06:58PM) (new)

Leela Our monthly theme will be picked out because I was told April was Mental Awareness and Drug Addiction month. So pick a book that has one of these portrayed. It doesn't have to be the main theme of this book, as long as it mentions something about it!

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana | 25 comments Mod
I'll be reading Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall for this challenge.

message 3: by Leela (new)

Leela I'm hoping to get Turtles All the Way Down by John Green from the library for this month!

message 4: by Leela (new)

Leela I got my library book in so I'll be reading Turtles All the Way Down by John Green for this challenge!

message 5: by Leela (new)

Leela I finally finished the book I picked out for this challenge. I think it's safe for me to say that as talented as John Green is, I just don't find myself liking his books. I thought Turtles All the Way Down was very hard to get into. I feel like I could not connect with Aza's character even though I know she was supposed to represent someone suffering from OCD and anxiety. Which really bummed me out. I suffer from both OCD and anxiety myself and I just didn't see myself in Aza but to be completely honest, I couldn't tell if that was because I wasn't In love with her character or because I couldn't get into Green's writing style. I felt like Green was trying to try something new in writing this book but it was a big flop for me. Has anyone else read this book? I would love to hear your options on it.