The Sapphic Squad discussion

Radio Silence
This topic is about Radio Silence
Buddy Reads > Radio Silence BR

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaylin (new) - added it

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) (kaylin_14) | 53 comments Mod
Mina, Sabrien, and Fatima are planning a buddy-read starting this Sunday (4/1/2018)

Radio Silence features a bi MC and strong focus on friendship. Discussion down below!

(spoilers should be marked)

emily | 3 comments hey i just got the book for this so can i join? ^^

Mina 🦋 | 29 comments emily wrote: "hey i just got the book for this so can i join? ^^"

Yes, of course!! :)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Okay so would you guys like to do an at your own pace type thing or do you want a goal for each day?

Mina 🦋 | 29 comments I don't really have a preference, so I'll just go with what the majority wants 😄

message 6: by fae (new) - rated it 5 stars

fae (fae_the_booknerd) | 16 comments I completely forgot and I aM THE ONE WHO REQUESTED THIS BR.. SUNDAY IS ALMOST OVER HERE WTF IS WRONG WITH ME??!!

message 7: by fae (new) - rated it 5 stars

fae (fae_the_booknerd) | 16 comments How about we do at-least-4/5-chapters-a-day thing?

Mina 🦋 | 29 comments Fatima wrote: "How about we do at-least-4/5-chapters-a-day thing?"

That sounds good! :) then we're at least making roughly the same progress and can discuss in between.
And don't worry, I think we're spread over different time zones here anyway 😄

aleks | 16 comments Guys! Can I join or is it too late?

message 10: by fae (new) - rated it 5 stars

fae (fae_the_booknerd) | 16 comments WV wrote: "Guys! Can I join or is it too late?"

yesss you may join!

aleks | 16 comments Fatima wrote: "WV wrote: "Guys! Can I join or is it too late?"

yesss you may join!"

Yay! I've never done a buddy read before :D

Mina 🦋 | 29 comments It's never too late! 🌈 this is also only my second one :)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Okay, that sounds good. At least four to five chapters a day. If anyone isn't feeling as great about the book as others, that's okay, and of someone reads ahead because they're really enjoying it and have more time that's okay too. These are just general guidelines, not firm rules, and as long as everyone enjoys it, it's all good :-)

Mina 🦋 | 29 comments Just finished "Summer Term (a)" and I think it's solid so far, I'm definitely curious about Frances' any Carys' background story. I love the UK setting! Although, after the third time of it coming up, I had to google what a "sixth-form" was (it's just what they call 12th & 13th grade and separate colleges for that exist, in case someone else didn't know 😅).

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Mina wrote: "Just finished "Summer Term (a)" and I think it's solid so far, I'm definitely curious about Frances' any Carys' background story. I love the UK setting! Although, after the third time of it coming ..."

Alice Oseman lives in the UK, and as far as I know all of her books take place there. Glad you're enjoying it so far!

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Yesterday I read Summer Term (A) and I found it similar to Alice Oseman's distinctly unique style of writing in Solitaire. Also I'm pretty sure characters overlap between the two and the prologue has to do with Solitaire.

message 17: by fae (new) - rated it 5 stars

fae (fae_the_booknerd) | 16 comments I really like Frances' voice
I feel like C and F were more than just friends or maybe F just had a thing for C??
Do you guys have any theories so far?

aleks | 16 comments Fatima wrote: "I really like Frances' voice
I feel like C and F were more than just friends or maybe F just had a thing for C??
Do you guys have any theories so far?"

I think C had a thing for F... ? Hard to say but I think there might have been something between them. I hope C will make an apperance at some point, I'm curious about her

aleks | 16 comments Guys, I love this book <3 It's so relatable :D Universe City reminds me of Welcome to Night Vale, my obsession of summer 2017... those were the days...

aleks | 16 comments Sabrien wrote: "Yesterday I read Summer Term (A) and I found it similar to Alice Oseman's distinctly unique style of writing in Solitaire. Also I'm pretty sure characters overlap between the two and the prologue h..."

I haven't read Solitaire but Aled is Charlie's friend from Heartstopper so the characters really do overlap :)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Yeah, they're all from the same "world" but when/if you read Solitaire (you definitely should it's wonderful), the prologue of Radio Silence makes more sense.
I *think* C had a thing for F, or maybe they liked each other lowkey but never said anything about it?

aleks | 16 comments I probably will read Solitaire sometime in the future :D
Aaand is it just me or is there something more between A and D too? Idk I might be reading too much into it but I got the impression that there might be something there
Also, A and F's phone conversation in Somebody Is Listening is life, it was so sad and sweet <3

emily | 3 comments aaahh I’m on vacation so I haven’t been able to update/read nearly as much as I’d like >.< but I’m partly through summer holiday (a) and I really like it! Frances is the most relatable mc ever and I love her friendship with aled sm

these characters (frances and aled and daniel) are all so well written and I especially appreciate that daniel is more than just a pretentious/grade-obsessed jerk, they genuinely feel like real people. though, I’m still rly curious abt the previous carys/frances subplot tbh

Mina &#x1f98b; | 29 comments I honestly haven't read any of Alice Oseman's book before, but after this, I surely will! :)

I'm done with Summer Term (b) I really, really love how F & A's friendship is developing. I want those two nerds to be my friends <3 and I agree with the characters being well-written. I especially relate to the whole thing where it can be hard to break out of a personality others have built for you or behaving how they expect you to.

I'm really curious if Carys will make an appearance at some point, but just, in general, the book is setting up so many things that I'm curious about!

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Mina wrote: "I honestly haven't read any of Alice Oseman's book before, but after this, I surely will! :)

I'm done with Summer Term (b) I really, really love how F & A's friendship is developing. I want those ..."

Yeah, Oseman has a way of making your wonder a lot of things. Yes, I'd definitely suggest reading her other book, Solitaire, and her wonderfully cute gay webcomic, Heartstopper. She's also having a new one released called I Was Born For This, featuring a muslim iranian hijabi girl and a trans boy musician. They're just great! And she has a distinctive writing style.
I'm curious about a bunch of things as well.

aleks | 16 comments Guys, I love this book so, so much. It feels so honest, and Frances and Aled's friendship is beautiful and SHE DID HAVE A CRUSH ON HER OMG I WANT ANSWERS
Laugh and Run in Summer Holiday(A) just made me cry (view spoiler)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments Ok I just finished the book and really loved it 💕 but I expected nothing less from Alice Oseman. How do you guys feel about it?

emily | 3 comments I loved it too!! I'm so excited to read more of her books if they're similar, I'll probably be checking out Solitaire soon :D

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments @emily
Yeah, her other books are similar. I'd definitely recommend them. The characters overlap in her books.

message 30: by aleks (last edited Apr 09, 2018 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

aleks | 16 comments I just finished it too and God it was so good <333 Easily my favorite ya book of 2018 I need to read everything by Alice Oseman now

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments @WV
Yes, do it.

Lulu (the library leopard) (thelibraryleopard) | 10 comments Just wanted to say that if any of you have read Solitaire, Alice Oseman wrote a crossover short story about Raine meeting Becky, a character from it! (And it's gay.) Link here if anyone is curious!

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments oh my God thank you so much for this <3

Lulu (the library leopard) (thelibraryleopard) | 10 comments Sabrien wrote: "oh my God thank you so much for this <3"
No problem! I love it when authors do this–it's kinda like canon fanfiction!

Mina &#x1f98b; | 29 comments I also finally finished the book last night and wow. I honestly haven't heard about this book or Alice Oseman before. But I will read everything by her I can get my hands on now. It was honestly so refreshing to read this story about friendship. And all the diversity, all these millennial references.. It was fantastic!

Also, @Lulu, thank you! I'll check it out right now. 😊

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 55 comments @Mina
Yay I'm glad you enjoyed it and her other books are definitely great as well! Also she's unfortunately highly underrated : (