The Challenge Factory discussion

♦Factory Archives♦ > Ripped From the Headlines - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lanelle | 13392 comments Mod
description

Each month a weird, unusual, or odd news story will be featured. Your task will be to read a book associated with words pulled from the account. You choose how the book connects with the word.

No page limit. Re-reads and audio books are okay.
You can read as many or as few as you want.
You can read one of each or focus on two or three words.

Duration : April 1 - 30, 2018

Daphne the Missing Duck May Be Finding Her Way Home
By Jacqueline Williams 3/18/18 The New York Times

SYDNEY, Australia — Though a beloved member of an Australian swimming club, Daphne has a less-than-athletic figure and usually prefers bobbing gently in the water from the sidelines.

But this month at her club’s annual ocean swimming competition, Daphne, a huge inflatable duck, was blown out to sea by a strong gust of wind, and despite a rescue attempt, was quickly dragged out into the vast Indian Ocean.

Her disappearance left the nation asking, Where is Daphne?

link to the rest of the story :)

Words from the story:
beloved
swimming
club
figure
bobbing
gently
sidelines
month
ocean
competition
huge
sea
wind
rescue
dragged
Indian
disappearance
nation
Daphne

message 2: by Cindy III (last edited May 02, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Cindy III | 324 comments Ripped from the Headlines

Words from the story:
The Book of Chameleons by José Eduardo Agualusa The Book of Chameleons by José Eduardo Agualusa 4/23 - 25
beloved
...a telephone call from an old friend of mine, an old schoolmate from my beloved Chibia. p. 70
swimming
We see the calm lakes where there are ducks swimming... p. 99
figure
...my memory of him becomes more and more like a figure made of sand. p. 128
huge
She was pregnant, almost at term, a huge belly. p. 114
sea
Tomorrow, it will be the sea. p. 130
rescue
...I'm hiding in such-and-such a place, please come and rescue me, and my wife too... p. 115
dragged
Some are dragged along by their name, like muddy river waters after a heavy shower... p. 32
disappearance
And in truth I've shed more authentic tears for the deaths of literary characters than I ever did for the disappearance of many of my friends and relatives. p. 85

The Journey of Ibn Fattouma - Naguib Mahfouz 4/1 - 2
gently
"Halba is not a muslim country," he said gently. p. 84
month
We traversed the distance between Mashriq and Haira in one month... p. 52
ocean
...it was as though falling from the sky were the thick fragments of that sleepy black ocean through which the stars navigate their course. p. 47

The Lightning Dreamer Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist by Margarita Engle The Lightning Dreamer: Cuba's Greatest Abolitionist by Margarita Engle 4/29 - 30
wind
I live at the center of two storms, one of wind, the other a hurricane... p. 40
Indian
...where her Ciboney Indian ancestors lived long ago. p. 34
nation
...poets and artists who hoped to establish a democratic nation of equals... p. 10

--------------
competition
Daphne
sidelines
club
bobbing

message 3: by Rissa (last edited Apr 28, 2018 02:53PM) (new)

Rissa | 437 comments My spot! :)

(view spoiler)

Words from the story: FINISHED 7!
beloved - ““You’ll block my beloved view of the neighbors.”” location 38% - Scorpio Hates Virgo- finished 4/5/2018
swimming
club - ““Remind me where we’ve met? If it was at a club or something, I’m so sorry. Sometimes it’s all a blur, you know?”” location 604 - All I Want - finished 4/7/2018
figure
bobbing - ““The garden? Oh, it’s nice. Erm, pretty. Lighter. I’ve pruned the trees, and the ground underneath them is covered in soft moss, with daffodils bobbing around in the breeze. It’s how it used to be. When I was little.”” location 1525 - Junk - finished 4/13/2018
gently - “Cal slid his hand down Percy’s thigh, gently setting him on his feet.” location 177 - Scorpio Loops Virgo - finished 4/5/2018
sidelines
month
ocean
competition
huge - “Something huge and white flew out of the darkness straight at him.” location 90% - The Mermaid Murders - finished 4/11/2018
sea - “The sea tested my rusty experience, and it took more concentration and nerves than I was happy to give before my first cup of coffee.” location 72% - When Forever Ended - finished 4/3/2018
wind
rescue - ““Thank god Grayson jumped at the chance to move in and get financing rolling when he did. At least this way, he can pay me rent and I can cover my mortgage. I’d be saddled paying for an overpriced condo by myself otherwise. The only sticky part was that it’s a one bedroom and I needed a place to stay. So big sister to the rescue.”” location 377 - The Power of Peppermint - finished 4/2/2018
dragged
Indian
disappearance
nation
Daphne

message 4: by Agnieszka (last edited Apr 30, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1204 comments I'm so glad this challenge continues :-)

Ripped from the Headlines
Duration:
April 1 - 30, 2018
Completed: 10

Too Close For Comfort by Adam Croft 2* 4/10/18 (183) Knight & Culverhouse #1
Symphonie des Todes=Betrayal in Death by J.D. Robb 4* 4/12/18 (529) Eve Dallas = In Death #12
Mörderspiele = Interlude in Death book 2 of Mörderspiele: Drei Fälle für Eve Dallas=Three in Death by J.D. Robb 4* 4/12/18 (135) Eve Dallas = In Death #12.5
Mörder Anders und seine Freunde nebst dem einen oder anderen Feind=Hitman Anders and the Meaning of It All by Jonas Jonasson 2* 4/13/18 (352)
Totgeglaubte leben länger=Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs 1* 4/17/18 (417) Temperance Brennan #8
Per Anhalter durch die Galaxis=The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams 3* 4/18/18 (240) Per Anhalter durch die Galaxis = The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1
Vegas Vacation by Clare Revell 4* 4/18/18 (154) Passport to Romance #4
Sterben sollst du für dein Glück: Gefangen zwischen zwei Welten by Sabatina James 3* 4/19/18 (150 - estimated) lit. transl.: You Have to Die For Your Happiness: Captured (or Trapped) Between Two Worlds
Alles ist gut.: Sechzehn sehr kurze Geschichten, in denen gar nichts gut ist by Diego Bernardini 6* 4/20/18 (32) - lit. transl: All's well: Sixteen very short stories where nothing is well
Checkmate's Honeymoon from Hell III by R.L. Mathewson 3* 4/21/18 (112) Honeymoon from Hell #3
Checkmate by R.L. Mathewson 4* 4/21/18 (370) Neighbor from Hell #3
The Vanishing Tourist by Matthew Costello & Neil Richards 3* 4/22/18 (103) Cherringham #18
Błękitny Zamek=The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery 5* 4/22/18 (160)
Das Kreuz und die Messerhelden=The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson 5* 4/22/18 (160)
Die blaue Liste by Wolfgang Schorlau 4* 4/23/18 (250 - estimated) lit. transl.: The Blue List - Dengler #1
Der Kruzifix Killer=The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter 5* 4/25/18 (478) Robert Hunter #1
Das Lächeln des Killers=Seduction in Death by J.D. Robb 4* 4/25/18 (545) Eve Dallas = In Death #13
Professor Grzimek: Ein Leben für die Serengeti by Theresia Singer 5* 4/25/18 (60 - estimated) lit. transl: Professor Grzimek: A Life for the Serengeti
New Beginnings by Aspen Moore 5* 4/26/18 (46) New Beginnings #1
Mein Leben als Pinguin by Katarina Mazetti 4* 4/27/18 (170 - estimated) lit. transl.: My Life as Pinguin
Tote Maus für Papas Leben=Against the Odds by Marjolijn Hof 5* 4/27/18 (112)
Der Joker=I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak 6* 4/28/18 (253)
Einladung zum Mord=Reunion in Death by J.D. Robb 3* 4/28/18 (545) Eve Dallas = In Death #14
The Gift of a Good Start by Earl Sewell 4* 4/29/18 (68) More Than Words
Mein Leben als Leser=The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby 4* 4/29/18 (82) Stuff I've Been Reading #1
To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer 4* 4/30/18 (354)
Ghost Squad by Bob Moats 3* 4/30

figure:
Christ Arose: A Tomb's Tale by Faith Blum 4* 4/2 - I watch her for some time before another figure comes into my view. loc. 86
For God So Loved: The story behind Easter by Angela Joseph 2* 4/2 - In their midst stands a figure in shimmering white. loc. 80
Rising Storm by Kathleen Brooks 4* 4/5 - "In your time there, did you ever figure out what exactly Big Red the Hilltopper was?" p. 55
Lolita lesen in Teheran by Azar Nafisi Lolita lesen in Teheran=Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi 2* 4/10 - 2 people on cover
Faith is the Victory by Faith Blum 4* 4/11 - person on cover
Human by Dainelle Hunter 3* 4/13 - person on cover
Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich 3* 4/14 - person on cover & number in title
110 - Ein Bulle hört zu: Aus der Notrufzentrale der Polizei by Cid Jonas Gutenrath 6* 4/14 lit. translation: 110 (German emergency number) - A Cop (or Pig - sorry it's the author's decision to use this word) Listens: From Police' Emergency Call Center - person on cover & numbers in title
His Prairie Princess book 1 of The Cooke Brothers by Kit Morgan 4* 4/14 - 2 people on cover
Geschafft! 50 Kilo leichter in einem Jahr by Annette Mayer 4* 4/16 lit. translation: Done! 50 Kilogram Less (or Lost) In One Year - person on cover & numbers in subtitle
Jesteś cenny=You Matter by SGM Lifewords 4* 4/16 - 3 people on cover
Not What He Expected by Annie Boone 3* 4/17 - 2 people on cover
Rise Above: How to Heal the Hurts and Overcome the Worst by Robert Rogers 5* 4/17 - 2 people on cover

disappearance:
Louisiana Longshot book 1 of Miss Fortune Series Boxset 1 by Jana Deleon 5* 4/7 - The MC's cover was blown by a CIA mole and the director arranged her disappearance in a small bayou town in Louisiana
Unter Fremden by Jutta Profijt 6* 4/9 lit. translation: Among Strangers - The disappearance of a young man caused a string of unexpected events.
Die Begnadigung=The Broker by John Grisham 4* 4/9 - The CIA arranged a pardon of an convicted lobbyist by the American president and his dissapearance to Europe to get him killed there.

ocean: Dying to Read by Lorena McCourtney 3* 4/2 - A scent of ocean had teased them for some miles, but here it hit with an invigorating blast of salt-and-sea. p. 148-149
member: Casual Friday: A Short Story Prequel to The Intern's Handbook by Shane Kuhn 2* 4/2 - the MC (an assassin) became a member of a Hollywood production during his first assignment
gently: Lilies on Daybreak Pond by Mindy Starns Clark 4* 4/4 - Reaching forward, he rubbed one petal, gently, between two fingers. loc. 472-473
huge: Secret Santa by Kathleen Brooks 5* 4/5 - Two of the MCs from the previous books in series - now very pregnant and both expecting within one week - come to the town's Christmas party with huge baby bellies.

Words from the story:
beloved:
swimming
club
bobbing
sidelines
month
competition
sea
wind
rescue
dragged
Indian
nation
Daphne

SYDNEY, Australia — Though a beloved member of an Australian swimming club, Daphne has a less-than-athletic figure and usually prefers bobbing gently in the water from the sidelines.

But this month at her club’s annual ocean swimming competition, Daphne, a huge inflatable duck, was blown out to sea by a strong gust of wind, and despite a rescue attempt, was quickly dragged out into the vast Indian Ocean.

Her disappearance left the nation asking, Where is Daphne?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/wo...

message 5: by Book Concierge (last edited May 01, 2018 04:46PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Ripped From the Headlines - April 2018
Begins: 01Apr18 / Ends: 30Apr18

9 completed

(NB: I alphabetized the list for my convience)

beloved
bobbing
club - Country CLUB is featured in Old Heart ✔ – 05Apr18
competition
Daphne
disappearance - Maisie is looking for an heiress who has disappeared in Birds of a Feather ✔ – 08Apr18
dragged - Char is dragged by a horse in - So Brave, Young and Handsome ✔ – 10Apr18
figure - cover image - The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin ✔ - 13Apr18
gently - Gently told story - Trains and Lovers ✔ - 04Apr18
huge - HUGE inheritance is at issue - The Nest ✔ – 01Apr18
Indian
member - Features members of the resistance - A Thread of Grace ✔ - 20Apr18
month
nation
ocean - Set by the ocean - Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill ✔ – 02Apr18
rescue - Nurses are rescued in We Band of Angels ✔ - 19Apr18
sea
sidelines
swimming
wind

message 6: by Pam (last edited Apr 02, 2018 01:11PM) (new)

Pam | 74 comments Ripped From the Headlines
Duration: April 1 - 30

Words Found: 4/20

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Rissa (last edited Apr 28, 2018 02:54PM) (new)

Rissa | 437 comments Finished! See message 3! :)

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2348 comments Update Message # 5 - 9 tasks completed

message 9: by Cindy III (new)

Cindy III | 324 comments finished 14/20 in message 2