Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > MG psychological thrillers?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Myrtle (last edited Mar 27, 2018 04:11PM) (new)

Myrtle | 6 comments Hi, I'm new to goodreads, and look forward to having too many books to choose from.

Can anyone tell me if there are any lists of MG Thrillers (MGT)? Is there such a thing as a MG psychological thriller or something that would fall close to that?

I loved THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY series, and the WILDWOOD series. THE SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS was excellent, but I didn't get through all twelve books for reasons that did not have to do with the quality of the writing. Does it hold up to the end? A parent told me the books became repetitive, and their child didn't finish the second half of the series.

Thank you all.

M

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1668 comments Mod
When I saw your header my first thought was that psychological thrillers would be pretty inappropriate for a MG audience. I guess you could categorize the books you list that way, and they are reasonable for the kids :)

As for lists, I'm not real up on how you search for such things across GR. I don't think we have one, but you could start one :)

message 3: by Melody (new)

Melody Bremen (melodyjbremen) | 66 comments As a child, I lost interest in the last few books of The Series of Unfortunate Events because I felt they were getting repetitive. But there are some people who adore they entire series, so I guess it's a matter of taste.

I've never heard of a middle grade psychological thriller, but there some more mystery type books. Here is a list on Goodreads of middle grade and young adult mystery and thriller books:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/8...

message 4: by Harley (last edited Apr 06, 2018 05:10PM) (new)

Harley Bennett | 90 comments I recommend the Serafina series by Robert Beatty starting with Serafina and the Balck Cloak. The Felony Bay series by J. E. Thompson is also good. First in the series is The Girl from Felony Bay.
Juniper Berry by M. P. Kozlowsky could be what you're looking for.

message 5: by Myrtle (new)

Myrtle | 6 comments Thank you, everyone. Maybe it would be better to say that I'm looking for the MG equivalent of a psychological thriller, and if I get any real ones in my net, that is a bonus.

I want to narrow the focus to real-life kinds of stories, and stay away from supernatural kinds thing, as a way to hone in on the potential genre. Hitchcock for kids.

Does that help shake any other titles loose?

message 6: by Jemima (last edited Mar 28, 2018 08:04AM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1299 comments Mod
Have you tried Listopia (the Goodreads listing area)? MG Thrillers might be an interesting list someone invented. If not, you could start one, but let us know!

This is what came up when I searched... https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8...

message 7: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 300 comments I've always interpreted mysteries as the MG version of thrillers.

message 8: by Myrtle (new)

Myrtle | 6 comments Justine, now that I have asked, I'm starting to agree with you. I'll follow Jemima's good advice about Listopia, and see what comes of that.

Thank you both for helping.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Justine wrote: "I've always interpreted mysteries as the MG version of thrillers."

That would be as close as I could come. Or in fact the more supernatural kind (The Screaming Staircase for example, which I recently stopped reading because it was too unnerving).

message 10: by Jemima (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Justine wrote: "I've always interpreted mysteries as the MG version of thrillers."

That would be as close as I could come. Or in fact the more supernatural kind ([book:The Screaming Staircase|1355..."

That was my first thought, but Myrtle wanted to stay away from the supernatural too :)

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Myrtle wrote: "Thank you, everyone. Maybe it would be better to say that I'm looking for the MG equivalent of a psychological thriller, and if I get any real ones in my net, that is a bonus.

I want to narrow th..."

I think the most thrilling MG books I've read have all included supernatural elements, but you might like The Secret Keepers since you liked The Mysterious Benedict Society. It's a stand-alone book also by Trenton Lee Stewart. Also Masterminds by Gordon Korman. It's a trilogy.

message 12: by Myrtle (new)

Myrtle | 6 comments These are great suggestions. Thank you for teaching me that there may not be many true MG 'psychological thrillers' as I imagined there might be. It seems best to expand my search to include other MG genres.

To that end, Cheryl, Jemima, Justine, and Rebecca (and others, of course), I'd like to expand the idea to include these other super-scary titles that you mentioned: The Screaming Staircase, and The Secret Keepers?

I loved the few John Bellairs books I read. I'm very taken with True-To-Life settings (in any era), but I really enjoy a good dose of creepiness. I loved the Wildwood Chronicles by Colin Meloy and Carson Ellis, especially how it was everyday life dumped into a different reality.

One reason that the 'everyday life'/life-like aspect appeals to me is because it allows for a different kind of reality inside of what we normally think of as reality. Ray Bradbury did that for me, too, as a kid, and I couldn't get enough of it. Hope that helps.

Justine, you've got me all in a lather about the Screaming Staircase. I'll put that at the top of my scary-reads list.

Thank you, everybody.

message 13: by Jemima (last edited Mar 31, 2018 06:05AM) (new)

Myrtle wrote: "These are great suggestions. Thank you for teaching me that there may not be many true MG 'psychological thrillers' as I imagined there might be. It seems best to expand my search to include other ..."

I got hooked on the Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co) series. I don't like horror, but I really get this series :) We've got a discussion thread on it in the 'Specific Books/series' section.

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Jemima wrote: "I got hooked on the Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co) series. I don't like horror, but I really get this series :) "

I had to quit in the middle of the first book. It was well-written...too well-written :D I don't do horror, and I let Jemima's positive reviews talk me into it. But maybe if I read it in broad daylight instead of just before bed?

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) I remember reading some psychological thrillers as a child or teen. Books like The Seventh Raven where a group of children are taken hostage by adults, and I remember another book (can't remember the name) where robbers broke into a house and the child had to hide until help could arrive. I'm sure I found the book on the children's/YA area in the library, but they might have been intended for older children (UG).

The common theme was adults being a threat to children and the children having to hide until help (friendly adults) could arrive.

message 16: by Myrtle (new)

Myrtle | 6 comments I'll take heed to start reading The Screaming Staircase in daylight rather than at night. These are all such great suggestions. Thank you, everyone. The Lockwood & Co. series seems in a similar vein as the John Bellairs books but for older kids. Sounds like fun.

Paula, thank you for summarizing that particular theme (trope?). Are there any novels where the kids get out of the fix by themselves without any adult help or with the adults being secondary help to the kids resourcefulness?

message 17: by Louie (new)

Louie | 82 comments I suggest Peg Kehret and Margaret Peterson Haddix for their mystery thillers.

message 18: by Myrtle (new)

Myrtle | 6 comments Thank you, Louie. Perhaps the term "mystery thriller" captures what I'm after best. Granted I thought a MG psychological thriller was what I was after, but that may not quite exist at that age level, but there are certainly many mystery thrillers of various sorts. Thank you very much for these suggestions and for the term.

message 19: by Rio (fairy circle ink) (last edited May 09, 2018 05:31PM) (new)

Rio (fairy circle ink) (fairycircleink) | 14 comments I love Furious Jones and the Assassin's Secret
by Tim Kehoe, Awakening (Chasing Yesterday, #1)
Wasserman, Robin, A Series of Unfortunate Events,The Curiosity House, and here the wolves by Victoria scoot

message 20: by wanderer (new)

wanderer (vwanderer) | 50 comments Myrtle wrote: "Hi, I'm new to goodreads, and look forward to having too many books to choose from.

Can anyone tell me if there are any lists of MG Thrillers (MGT)? Is there such a thing as a MG psychological thr..."

Wow, the physiological thriller is one of my favorite genres, but I never thought about finding one for middle-grades.

Would something like The Westing Game qualify?